PDA

View Full Version : Emirates experiences at Dubai

1oztoffee1
6th Dec 2012, 10:11
I had the misfortune to arrive at Dubai ex-Amsterdam recently. A380 was almost full and arrived at Dubai 11/2 hours late at 1am.
The aircraft was parked in Abu Dhabi (it seemed) and all 700+ passengers were bussed to the terminal about 20 mins away. We were lucky to be on one of the first busses, there must be some who are still there waiting for transfer:bored:
The dreadful Dubai immigration farce then took place where 20 or 30 well dressed arabs stand around and talk when at least 3000 people are lined up at the booths...old folks, people with kids, people in wheelchairs etc.
One would think that an important player like Emirates would have some influence at their own terminal to alleviate this problem. But then they have already shot themselves in the foot by parking their 'flagship' aircraft on a premium route in some backwater of the airport then abandoning them to the whims of recalcitrent bus drivers who appear to have only brakes on the bus, no accelerator!
All in all, not a good experience.
Why does an airline with their reputation let things go so awry?

tezzer
6th Dec 2012, 10:16
Peak time in Dubai, done it many times.

givemewings
6th Dec 2012, 12:22
To be honest it's pretty rare for the A380 to go remote stand, its happened on my flights maybe 2 times out of 100.

Also gates are tight due to restrictions on parking because of the construction work (I think the end gates nearest to the new terminal may have just opened up) Once that's up and running all of the A380 will move over to that building.

Tableview
6th Dec 2012, 13:35
Why does an airline with their reputation let things go so awry?

Because, for a certain time, until people become aware of the reality of Dubai, they can trade on their reputation. However, that has a finite life span.

navstar1
6th Dec 2012, 15:42
Similar happening. 777 ex Gatwick,arrived early hours of the morning,parked in the middle of the desert,bus transfer which took nearly 45 minutes due to the number of stops,run to a gate right at the far end of the departure terminal for a 340 to Seychelles,only just made it! Not a good experience and I will avoid Dubai until they get their act together.Flights,however, were excellent.:D

Mr Mac
7th Dec 2012, 06:03
Have parked all over Dubai over the years but never on a 380 although your late arrival may have caused the issue from Amsterdam - late arrival of incoming or slow turn around ?. Do the DXB two step quite often and have not had too many issues but agree with comments on immigration 100%.

BAOREY
7th Dec 2012, 18:01
DXB Immigration can be a nightmare as you say, so if you are a frequent traveler or just impatient like me then get a E-Gate card which costs AED 200 (last time I got one) and takes less time than queuing when you first buy it, it also makes every subsequent exit and arrival so much easier.

ExXB
7th Dec 2012, 18:20
Even two, or is it three, years after implementing a visa requirement for Canadians DXB immigration still can't figure out how to deal with arriving Canucks. Every time they need to ask their colleague and/or supervisor what do we do with this guy.

As the requirement was introduced only in an attempt to annoy the Canadian government, normal procedures for arriving pax requiring visas don't seem to apply. After a short debate they simply stamp the passport and send you off.

I wonder if they've noted yet that the GOC could give a stuff.

1oztoffee1
7th Dec 2012, 21:08
I honestly don't think that the immigration staff are that well trained.
In addition to the inbound battle, I found that getting out was just as difficult. At the immigration desk I got a few rugged looks from the guy in the chair and following a lengthy discussion with the guy on the next desk was told to go 2 further desks along and join what was already a lengthy line. Feigning stupidity, I walked straight to the front of the line whereupon after another lengthy discussion with the guy on the next desk the guy behind the desk ordered me out of the immigration hall. I was to go down a corridor to find the immigration office.
I had no idea what was going on and my wife was frantic to see me disappear with a burly army officer in uniform.
Turns out that my immigration procedure the day before was not in order as the desk guy had not processed me properly and here I was trying to leave the country without apparently ever having entered.
The army officer just stamped my passport in the office and off I went.
The desk guys may be talking to each other all the time because nobody actually knows what they are doing?

Gulfstreamaviator
8th Dec 2012, 05:31
It will never change, so dont even get excited.

yes the E gate is the solution, in and out, but even that has burps.

They are planning an EYE scanning system, and full body searches, except for any one who is not of western extraction...I kid U not.

Glf

lasernigel
8th Dec 2012, 08:50
I went in last month,2 hours in a queue. I had tried to email the Marhaba welcome service, but they didn't reply to any emails I sent.
How do you get an E gate pass? Going again Feb and don't want that experience again.

pwalhx
8th Dec 2012, 09:26
Have flown through Dubai many times and have had good and bad experience with immigration, to suggest it is much worse than many other places I have been would be wrong. Case in point I queued 2 hours recently in Chicago but that was one single experience and would not make me suggest it is a norm.

As had been said your aeroplane was late, hence the reason for parking remote but I have to take to task one comment that 700+ people had to be bussed. Was there standing room only on that aeroplane, I am not aware of any EK A380 that has the capacity for 700 people.

Gulfstreamaviator
8th Dec 2012, 10:59
but the welcome service is for everyone....not cheap....

good luck.

glf

WHBM
8th Dec 2012, 20:12
If you are actually travelling to Dubai itself, rather than transiting, and thus needing to exit through their immigration, my advice is to travel on your home carrier, who will get there at a quiet time, rather than on Emirates, when you will commonly arrive in one of their peak waves.

I go there from London on BA rather than Emirates, and have typically taken about 20 minutes of queueing, not much more. One tip is to join the queue for "Business class" or similar, always a shorter queue and they never check. I'm always out before my bags are on the belt.

1oztoffee1
8th Dec 2012, 21:20
Sorry pwalhx....you are correct, it should have read 500+.
The problems with immigration are still relevant though.
Thanks WHBM: with the coming together of QF and EK this means that an entry into DXB with QF may solve the problems for passengers from Dunnunda.

BAOREY
9th Dec 2012, 07:12
I got an E-Gate card in DXB without being a resident, but could not get one in AUH as they required you to be a resident.

Things are very fluid in the UAE so it may be different now but worth a try.

The E-Gate card in T1 is at the top of the escalator as you arrive in the immigration hall, I never fly EK so not sure about T3

Dubaian
10th Dec 2012, 05:57
Info on eligibility for UAE e-Gate card
Criteria and Documents for eGate Card
New eGate card holder’s presence
Original passport (with at least 6 month’s validity).
You must be either a UAE citizen or an expatriate holding a resident visa.
Passport photograph

More here on Govt web site
Get an eGate Card for Dubai & Abu Dhabi (http://www.dubai.ae/en/Lists/HowToGuide/DispForm.aspx?ID=40)

fincastle84
10th Dec 2012, 11:51
No problems for me. Back in '70-71I spent a whole year of my young life based in neighbouring Sharjah flying Shackletons. I swore then that I would never return. As a result of everything I've read since it hasn't been difficult to keep my promise.