PDA

View Full Version : Thought this was worth a share

Joles
5th Dec 2012, 17:07
Interesting article on some of the Self Loading Freight

5 signs you're an "entitled" elite air traveler | LinkedIn (http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20121205111255-332179-5-signs-you-re-an-entitled-elite-air-traveler)

Enjoy ! ! :p

radeng
6th Dec 2012, 04:47
Another guy who thinks business travel is a privilege!

PAXboy
6th Dec 2012, 10:37
I don't travel by air for business now but my reply to those that think it was fun:

Having got up at 04:30 to get to LHR (delayed on the way); eat on the plane and then hail a taxi at dest. I was reading the paper in the taxi and looked up at a building tinking, "That looks familiar?" I realised I was in Paris that day and had to try at my diary to see which meeting I was going to. I was back home that night and in the London office the next - NOT ready for work!

The article was vaguely amusing but it said nothing new - at least not by half way through when I stoped. But thanks for the thought. It reminded me of one such: I met an employee of British Telecom International as it then was. His job was so easy that he could afford to chase the miles. We all thought he (and his company) were complete pratts and ignored them. :*

Espada III
6th Dec 2012, 11:46
I have flown Business Class once and then on a miles ticket, but all the miles earned to reach that point I paid for myself. I was on Business Class as I needed to get home on that flight and there were no Economy seats left.

I was surprised to find a load of people in Business Class who worked for NGOs and Charities and were on a relatively short flight of 4 hours. Surely they could have 'coped' in economy?

Those charities no longer receive donations from me.

Hartington
6th Dec 2012, 19:25
Christopher Elliott (the author) is a self proclaimed expert and "ombudsman" who regularly writes things like this. He and a few others seem to behind The last honest travel site (http://www.consumertraveler.com/). Don't read if you have high blood pressure.

Despite that warning I do read that site to try and spot trends and problems that might get exported from the USA.

WHBM
9th Dec 2012, 10:59
I was surprised to find a load of people in Business Class who worked for NGOs and Charities and were on a relatively short flight of 4 hours. Surely they could have 'coped' in economy?

Those charities no longer receive donations from me.
An overseas charity "worker" once tried to justify them using paid Business Class to me on the basis that he could take take more hand baggage to those they were using our donations to support :rolleyes:

ExXB
9th Dec 2012, 14:06
I, for one, don't think travelling in Business is a sin. Beyond extra hand baggage allowances there are many other benefits that derive from sitting up front. The ability to sleep and having access to an arrivals lounge, etc. are invaluable.

I can't count the number of times I was able to save a day or two, including my weekends, because I was travelling Business. My time, to my company and TO ME, was worth a lot more than any difference in price. I often did a RT to WAS leaving the evening of day 1, returning before noon on day 3. A day and a half away from the office with a full day's work there. No jet lag either.

I would hope that charitable organisations do a careful analysis of the cost/benefits of their employee's travel. It is difficult to quantify the benefits, but a jet-lagged employee is not always your best representative.

radeng
10th Dec 2012, 07:45
We had a case of a salesman on a lengthy trip to South Africa, Australia and New Zealand who forced by the company to travel economy class - they were 'saving money'. As he had to take with him a load of databooks, the excess baggage he had to pay came to such an amount that the total cost was more than the first class fare.

Mr Mac
11th Dec 2012, 17:10
WHBM / RADENG
With regards NGO / World Bank / UN. In my experiance they all look after themselves very well, to the point that if in a strange 3rd world country all ways check with local agents for those organisations as they invarably know where best rest / hotels are, or even simpler get your driver to follow White Landcrusier (you would be surprised at the quality of wine and food they can sniff out in the most unforgiving of places !;)).

As for comments on Business class etc same old sh*t diffrent day. If you travel long haul on a reguler basis you are not doing it for fun its part of your job. A bit like company cars where you used to get tax break for high miles done on work basis, I beleive 18k was top band. If you are doing 30-40k per year or more in your car on business it is not a perk its a tool. Same for Business class travel on long routes its a tool to allow me to do my job end.:ugh:

radeng
12th Dec 2012, 15:04
Mr Mac,

I quite agree. Fly coach transatlantic and are you REALLY fully able to be effective for a day or so? At one time apparently, the USAF reckoned on one day to make up for one hour time change.

Add all the hassle.......

Captivep
18th Dec 2012, 08:43
Slight thread drift but I love all these stories about people withdrawing their support from charities because of a perceived extravagance (whether it be business class flights or even salaries!).

These stories always read as if the writer was previously a very generous donor to the actual group of charities s/he's found out about and has now withdrawn their support as a matter of principle...

In most cases, I suspect, this is utter nonsense.

WHBM
18th Dec 2012, 10:02
In most cases, I suspect, this is utter nonsense.
Just to put you straight on this, said charity had received significant corporate support for quite some years, mainly generated by personnel putting in significant strenuous effort on sponsored activities to raise these funds. Fundraisers need to be much more careful in checking how their contributions are spent.

What seems to have happened with the third world supportive charities, who might have got maybe £0.5m a year from a "significant" supportive group, is they have the people on the ground to deliver overseas aid from governments. This might be £10m for a year, with a chance of £30m next year. Along the way, the original supportive fundraisers get lost in the rush for a share of the government money. Not that they are told this, of course.