PDA

View Full Version : Akrotiri 1956

Headstone
5th Dec 2012, 15:51
I am presently reading the book Aphrodite's Killers about the EOKA fighting in Cyprus and it obviously covers the part played by the bases in Cyprus in supporting the Suez conflict in 1956. Evidently 3 LAA Wing, RAF Regiment covered the airspace over the long runway at Akrotiri when it was being built just in case of Egyptian air attacks. In the book it says that when the runway was being built all the excavated earth had been piled along the entire length of northern side near the salt flats and in places the mound was 50ft high and a mile wide. Buried underground were living quarters and lavatories for the on duty men. Supposedly once camouflaged with netting etc. except for Bofors gun barrels they could hardly be seen and camp guards walked past without knowing they were there.
I first visited Akrotiri in very late 60s and last went in late 90s but knew nothing or heard anything about them. Did I really miss something a mile wide and 50ft high or had it been removed/landscaped by then?

Pontius Navigator
5th Dec 2012, 16:36
Headstone, you probably missed it. I was there for 3 years in the 70s and never knew about the caves and cisterns only a couple of hundred yards from our block and en route to Sharks Cove. Also never found the Roman dock in the south east corner.

I suspect that an awful lot of servicemen missed a huge opportunity to discover the history of the peninsular.

Al R
5th Dec 2012, 17:21
Headstone,

You're referring to 'North Ridge' I guess - time and subsidence has flattened it a little . There were many revetments some of which did have overhead protection and which could have sustained quite a decent lifestyle. They were used in the SHORAD role by the Rapier Rocks in Ops Granby and El Dorado that I knew of.

I came across this shot; I certainly don't remember North Ridge being that far away from the runway and looping around as it seems to show; rather, I remember it starting at the point where the black ink starts on the left, and then running parallel along the length of the runway. I think I'm right in saying 34's compound has recently been flattened.

PS: And for the life of me, I don't remember a small strip on the South East part of the tip, by the lighthouse..!

http://twozeroalpha.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/akrotiri1.jpg