PDA

View Full Version : A318's at LCY

airsmiles
4th Dec 2012, 20:03
How many airlines operate the A318 into London City Airport apart from BA?

The reason I ask is that I saw an A318 take-off at around 14.45 today then another at around 16.05. Both were seen outside the ExCeL Centre so were definitely LCY departures. I'm also sure both were BA but, unless the morning flight to JFK was seriously late, this would be impossible unless one was an A319 perhaps? Do the latter operate into LCY though?

airsmiles

champair79
4th Dec 2012, 20:19
BA is the only operator of the A318 into LCY.

They have 2 aircraft - G-EUNA and G-EUNB.

Both are exclusively used to operate the BA001/2/3/4 service LCY-SNN-JFK-LCY.

Can only assume the BA001 was late.

Champ

Skipness One Echo
4th Dec 2012, 21:20
To be honest the ERJ190s are almost the same length and so one does have to look twice to be sure.

DaveReidUK
4th Dec 2012, 23:24
I'm also sure both were BA but, unless the morning flight to JFK was seriously late, this would be impossible unless one was an A319 perhaps?

BAW1 departed LCY at 10:05, and BAW3 at 16:05.

What you saw departing at 14:45 was most likely the Frankfurt flight, which today was operated by an Embraer 170.

airsmiles
5th Dec 2012, 06:13
Many thanks for the input.

I have to admit I'm not well up on EMB170's and LCY operations either actually. The amount of traffic from LCY certainly exceeded my perceptions so I'm hoping to organise one my trips from there so I can have a closer look.

Tom the Tenor
6th Dec 2012, 19:12
Is there somewhere to sit and watch the traffic come and go at LCY? When we were at the Maritime Museum at Greenwich a few years ago admiring the Harrison Clocks it was sorely tempting to head over there but we ended up sailing up the Thames instead on some ol' boat!

Thanks! ;)

V_2
6th Dec 2012, 21:03
There are quite a few places, depending what you want to see.

North of West Silvertown DLR station there is bridge connecting one side of the dock to the Excel centre. From the bridge you get a nice view straight down the runway (due east at about 1km), and also the approach with dome and Canary wharf in the background. (This location is clearly wind direction and decent weather permiting! :p )

Skipness One Echo
6th Dec 2012, 22:30
The Royal Albert DLR station is across the dock, go there and head towards the council buildings. Public area with panoramic views across the entire airport. Benches and bins provided too. Generally busy with Joe Public so nice and safe.

airsmiles
7th Dec 2012, 11:45
Heathrow might be an embarrassment at times but it strikes me we should be very proud of LCY as a successful city airport. Surely a real asset to the capital.

Wirbelsturm
7th Dec 2012, 12:54
Heathrow might be an embarrassment at times

Why is Heathrow an embarresment? If you look at how Heathrow functions, given the constraints that many previous Governments and the current Governmant place on it, it is a wonder it functions at all. Yet it remains the busiest 2 runway airport in the world.

Constantly coping with in excess of 95% capacity it continues to function achieving an enviable departure/arrival rate that most other airports cannot begin to achieve. My experience is that any airport operating at that level of capacity anywhere in the world, would fall over if any external influences (weather, technical or incident) occur.

Operating day in day out from Heathrow I am constantly amazed (after 26 years of flying!) at how well all the departments handle the traffic in and out of Heathrow and constantly wonder how other airports around the world would cope with such density of traffic and such tight airspace. One look up the approach path on a normal day will give you an appreciation of the skill of ATC and the Tower at LHR in coping with such a flow of traffic.

So whilst Heathrow might have its faults it functions on a level that most passengers don't comprehend and has been constantly held back by petty politics and nimby attitudes.

Rant over, enjoy!

Tom the Tenor
7th Dec 2012, 18:15
Thanks for the updates, lads. Something to look forward to for next summer, hopefully.

I must agree with Wirbelsturm's post above. Watching Heathrow work as brilliantly as it does is one of the most fascinating things I like about aeroplanes and air transport. Certainly, HM Government knows pretty well how it works - look at all the APD they collect from LHR and, of course, all the other UK airports!

airsmiles
9th Dec 2012, 16:19
Agreed everyone makes Heathrow work as best it can given the constraints but it's inadequate for the needs of the country. Let's get on and provide whatever solution is needed to give the country a fit for purpose hub, so we can be proud of that.