PDA

View Full Version : Pressure instrument

Flytodream
4th Dec 2012, 03:48
Hi guys

I am doing a revision for aircraft general knowledge book, and I have some questions regrading to pressure instrument.

I am confused with the two questions below:

"Will the attitude indicator be affected if the pitot tube becomes blocked, but the static vents remain clear?" and the answer is yes.

And

"Will a blocked pitot tube and/or blocked static vents affect the attitude indicator?" and the answer is no.

Does anyone can give me some clue to the above questions?

Many thanks!

Lightning Mate
5th Dec 2012, 08:04
"Will the attitude indicator be affected if the pitot tube becomes blocked, but
the static vents remain clear?" and the answer is yes.

The answer is incorrect, so remove your confusion.

dixi188
5th Dec 2012, 18:38
The Attitude indicator is not a pressure instrument, it is a gyro instrument, so it will not be affected by the Pitot Static system.

AerocatS2A
10th Dec 2012, 05:35
Do you mean altitude indicator (altimeter)?

+TSRA
11th Dec 2012, 04:18
"Will the attitude indicator be affected if the pitot tube becomes blocked, but the static vents remain clear?" and the answer is yes.

And

"Will a blocked pitot tube and/or blocked static vents affect the attitude indicator?" and the answer is no.

I would hazard a guess to say that there is a typo and the first question refers to the airspeed indicator. In this case, an answer of "yes" makes perfect sense.

For the second question, there is no issue if the intent of the question is to identify whether the student understands the difference between pressure and gyro instrumentation. If not, well then the question and answer should be reworded to make sense to the intent.

When making questions and answers, one should always think, "What is the purpose of my question, and what do I want the student to demonstrate competence of?" Failure to do this ends up with questions that are too hard, too easy, or don't make any sense.