PDA

View Full Version : What can i do next?

HS1105
3rd Dec 2012, 21:37
Hi all!

I am due to be completing an Integrated ATPL course at a well known flight academy in early 2013, and therefore will be facing the reality of large debts and small job prospects very soon, so any advice from people within the industry would be greatly appreciated.

On the 'offchance' of not securing employment within a few months of completing an integrated course, it would seem that there are a couple of options that would perhaps have someone best placed for any future openings for low hour FO positions.

Working within the industry with the intention of making contacts, getting your face known and knowing before most people when certain airlines will be hiring.
I know one or two people who after completing integrated courses didnt secure employment as FOs, so became cabin crew for airlines know to hire low hour pilots, and therefore became a well known face and regularly met senior pilots within that airline.....

Becoming a flight instructor- Ive heard of people going down this route in order to stay current, gain plenty of experience and when presenting themselves to potential future employers have more hours than the average 'integrated course graduate'

Can anyone offer any advice on what other options are there/ what would be the best course of action to take, once you have your frozen ATPL and trying to have yourself best placed for when that all important first airline interview/ assessment comes along?
Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks a lot!!

flyhighspeed300
5th Dec 2012, 21:06
You have all the answers on Pprrune.

As you said
Instructing on SEP (UK or converting licences aboard i.e the USA)
Instructing on gliders or motor gliders or microlights
Cabin crew
buzz/ airline or flying clubs Operation department, Safety department, recruitment department etc
Bush flying
Working at the checkin desk
working as ground crew
Air taxi (i.e sea planes aboard)
working for the CAA
Becoming a designer of new future things on a/c

Nor jobs but experience
Paying for TR
Paying for TR with base training
Paying for TR with base training & line hours
Paying for TR with either 300 or 500 hours etc.
getting a class rating on a C525 or Kingair

500 above
6th Dec 2012, 06:38
getting a class rating on a C525 or Kingair

Really? You think that corporate flying is for fresh low timers as a rule? That, I can tell you, would be a waste of money. I wouldn't advise it.

bex88
6th Dec 2012, 07:42
Instructing is beneficial for yourself but its very very hard to find any company that want a flight instructor with only 200 odd hours himself/herself. It is very adhoc and will not pay the bills. Good experience though but thats about it. Cabin crew, dispatch seems to be the most productive if not on the usual EZY/RYR route

flyhighspeed300
6th Dec 2012, 09:04
Talking about "getting a class rating on a C525 or Kingair" I know of guys who have done this & got there first job as an F/O this way because they are qualified on that type of aircraft.

500 above
6th Dec 2012, 10:00
Firstly, not by getting a "class rating" they haven't. Type rating I think you mean. They must be very lucky then. I myself fly Bizjets, and have very seldom heard of anyone getting a job with those few hours, let alone companies that would insure such low time pilots on even relatively simple (single pilot certified) types such as those.

Like I say, good luck.

500 above
6th Dec 2012, 10:03
Good luck competing in a job market with these chaps:

http://www.pprune.org/biz-jets-ag-flying-ga-etc/497241-looking-work-thread-new.html

Chaps such as this one:

CITATION JET 525 and BEECH 350
We close the operation on CJ
Looking for part time CJ or KING AIR series
5800 TT
5500 PIC
500 CJ
2000 B350/1900 (790 on KING 350)
2200 B200

I am all current, EXAMINER on CJ and KING AIR also.

shaun ryder
6th Dec 2012, 18:39
On the 'offchance' of not securing employment within a few months of completing an integrated course

I know one or two people who after completing integrated courses didnt secure employment as FOs,

Reality check? :uhoh:

_ShIfTy_
7th Dec 2012, 15:47
Hi

Just my opinion but I would recommend trying to get a Job for an airline that will take on internal low hour pilots, or a job for a handling agent as a dispatcher.

I started my aviation career as an aircraft dispatcher. During that period of 3 years everyone working along side me who had a CPL/IR got a job for an airline through networking. sometimes this did take them over a year though.
I left dispatching to complete my flight training in Jerez and the returned to it with a CPL/IR. Through dispatching I got a job on the ground with an airline and through that I got a type rating course starting early next year.

Vone Rotate
8th Dec 2012, 11:33
As mentioned forget a Kingair Type rating. In the UK they are single Pilot and although the min requirement for a single pilot IFR captain is 700hrs most will look for 1500+.

It maybe a typo but the Kingair requires a Type Rating not a Class rating.

Get a job that allows you to keep everything current. Don't let your ratings lapse....

Flieslikeabrick
16th Dec 2012, 10:20
Is this a serious post / question?????

If so, join the huge group of desperate unemployed pilots trying every approach to get a RHS. You thought the training was the hard bit? Probably should have researched industry a bit better prior to investment.

I smell a troll..............