PDA

View Full Version : FLT LT WALES - CONGRATULATIONS!!

BEagle
3rd Dec 2012, 16:47
My warmest congratulations to their Royal Highnesses the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on the announcement that the Duchess is expecting a baby.

Some good news for once - and I hope that Flt Lt Wales and his chums will have a suitable celebration drink or few at Valley!

Whenurhappy
3rd Dec 2012, 16:54
It is great news. Future sovereign minor minor minor will be born to a working RAF Pilot...and just doing rough maths, won't become King or Queen for about another 60 years.

BOAC
3rd Dec 2012, 16:57
Echo'd. Let's hope the media (post Leveson, CMD not-withstanding) give them a break.

Great news.

Ivor Fynn
3rd Dec 2012, 17:07
Ditto

Ivor:D:D:D

CoffmanStarter
3rd Dec 2012, 17:19
Well said BEagle ... Many congratulations :D:D:D:D

clicker
3rd Dec 2012, 17:27
Perhaps that mum who gave them the "Daddy's co-pilot" gift might be able to tell me when to go for a lottery ticket. ;)

NutLoose
3rd Dec 2012, 17:36
Congratulations, it will be a boy :)

After all 3 kings (in waiting) always come along just before Christmas :)

I'll get my coat.

Kiltrash
3rd Dec 2012, 17:57
Congrats to the happy mum and day

Point of succession, it the child was a daughter would she not be behind Harry

Wensleydale
3rd Dec 2012, 18:11
Point of succession, it the child was a daughter would she not be behind
Harry

According to BBC News, the rules have changed and first born will inherit the throne regardless of sex.

November4
3rd Dec 2012, 18:14
According to the BBC

When the baby is born, Prince Harry's importance reduces and he relinquishes the position of third-in-line to the throne.

Even if it's a girl, the government is insistent she will be head of state of Britain and, as things stand, 15 other countries where the Queen still reigns.

The law will be changed, they say, to ensure she would not be overtaken by any younger brother.

My bold

and

In October 2011, Commonwealth leaders agreed to change succession laws so that the daughter of any future UK monarch will have equal right to the throne as a son.

The law has not been altered but ministers have indicated that the legislation will apply to any royal births from the date of the leaders' decision.

CoffmanStarter
3rd Dec 2012, 18:15
There is the intent to overturn "male-preference cognatic primogeniture" here in the UK ... apparently the legislation has still to be passed ... so the PM needs to get his skates on !

sled dog
3rd Dec 2012, 18:27
Down on JetBlast there are a few "interesting" opposite views to the general fawning on here. After a Knighthood, Beags ? No i am not in UK

cuefaye
3rd Dec 2012, 18:35
No i am not in UK

Good -----

Roadster280
3rd Dec 2012, 18:38
Congrats to Colonel Wales IG.

NutLoose
3rd Dec 2012, 18:38
Hmmmm, even the BBC seems to have its fair share of derogatory comments to, scroll to the bottom

BBC News - Kate and William: Duchess pregnant, palace says (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20586343)

teeteringhead
3rd Dec 2012, 18:45
Even under the old rules a girl would come before Harry. Of course the Beeb are getting it wrong saying: "Because of the law change, even a girl would be third in line".

Wrong! A girl would have become third under the old rules, but would be "gazumped" by a younger brother. That's the bit that has changed/will change.

And Harry (probably to his relief!) just shifts further and further down the line of succession, just like his uncle Andy did (who similarly "gazumped" Anne from 2nd to 3rd when he was born. (She's now 10th, and will slip to 11 after the Wales-ling is born - or 12 if it's twins!!)

But hearty congrats Sir and get well soon Ma'am. :ok:

WE Branch Fanatic
3rd Dec 2012, 18:58
Echo'd. Let's hope the media (post Leveson, CMD not-withstanding) give them a break.

Great news.

Agree. Watching Channel Four news I thought that the excessive and intrusive media interest had started. Why are members of the Royal family not entitled to confidentiality with respect to things like medical treatment?

BEagle
3rd Dec 2012, 19:02
Down on JetBlast there are a few "interesting" opposite views to the general fawning on here......

There will always be those who denigrate the good news of others....:(

Following the tragic death of Diana, Princess of Wales, Prince William can't have had a particularly easy life thanks to the ever-present media spotlight; however, Catherine is clearly a perfect match for him and only those of a particularly unpleasant bent could wish the royal couple anything other than health and happiness together.

Dengue_Dude
3rd Dec 2012, 19:09
Best of luck to them, they seem a really nice couple and it would be good to see a long-term and happy marriage.

Even if little one is a girl, the law most certainly SHOULD be changed to give them precedence.

Congratulations!

sled dog
3rd Dec 2012, 19:31
Cuefaye, ref your post # 13, i had the good sense to move out of the UK many years ago. I still think HMTQ does a great job, and i still stand up when the National Anthem is played. Do you ?

Wander00
3rd Dec 2012, 19:38
DD - Law has already been changed, first born will be first in the queue, whichever gender

cuefaye
3rd Dec 2012, 19:43
Why ask? ---

Dengue_Dude
3rd Dec 2012, 20:32
Thanks Wander00 - good show

Wander00
3rd Dec 2012, 21:09
DD et al - Apparently decision to change succession was made at Commonwealth Conference last year, but legislation - in 15 countries - is required. Someone had better get a move on. Probably takes precedence over drafting new laws on the control of the press!

Roland Pulfrew
3rd Dec 2012, 21:13
Wander & DD

Law has NOT yet been changed. First born will get the throne if first born is male; first born will get the throne if she is female AND all subsequent children are female. As the law stands at present a first born daughter will be gazumped by a second or third born son. The coalition have stated that they intend to change the law, but it hasn't occurred yet :}

Edited to add:

Wander, I concur with your post below.

Wander00
3rd Dec 2012, 21:17
RP - I guess I got to the keyboard marginally sooner than you did - I think we agree - decision made, legal niceties to be tidied up.

ShyTorque
3rd Dec 2012, 22:05
Whoever's next in line.... I wish to add my sincere congratulations!

Airborne Aircrew
3rd Dec 2012, 22:19
I'm going to demand a paternity test!!!!!

ShyTorque
3rd Dec 2012, 22:30
Bit late for you, isn't it? :p

Ant T
3rd Dec 2012, 22:44
Sled dog - Down on JetBlast there are a few "interesting" opposite views to the general fawning on here.

As far as I can see at a quick glance, very few opposite views there, most seem happy for the couple and positive about the Royal Family in general.

Have to say, Will seemed a genuinely nice guy while he was down here earlier this year.

Lima Juliet
3rd Dec 2012, 23:22
Congrats to you both...:D:D:D

Here's hoping she/he's a pilot like her old man :ok:

sisemen
4th Dec 2012, 05:01
With the family history of being in the RAF, starting with the future King George VI, I reckon it's a shoe-in that they'll spend a bit of time in the mob.

Congrats :D

(Wonder what William's PPRuNe handle is???? :E)

Lightning Mate
4th Dec 2012, 06:27
The Dutchess is suffering from hyperemesis gravidarum.

To the best of my knowledge this ailment is common for women expecting twins, but not necessarily so.

I think the Palace will ensure many photo opportunities for the press, to avoid the couple being hounded.

Let's hope so.

green granite
4th Dec 2012, 06:48
That'll teach her to wander around topless. :=:E

500N
4th Dec 2012, 07:07
sisemen

Re "Wonder what William's PPRuNe handle is???? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif"

It's either Big Willy or King Bill :ok:

CoffmanStarter
4th Dec 2012, 07:13
I thought it was NutLoose :E

Lightning Mate
4th Dec 2012, 07:19
I thought it was Slasher!

Like This - Do That
4th Dec 2012, 10:42
Random thought (after the initial "Congrats") ....

Due to the vagaries of nature, one brother is heir, can't deploy, pressure and scrutiny beyond anything any of us can imagine, obliged to marry and be sensible; the other brother is (was) the spare, can deploy, some scrutiny, plays naked snooker with strumpets in Vegas like all good Subalterns should ...

Know which fate I'd prefer :ok:

2Planks
4th Dec 2012, 11:15
Congratulations and I hope all goes well.

Clearly the night life at valley is still as quiet as ever ;)

November4
4th Dec 2012, 11:32
Do not see the Govt in any rush or need to change the rules. About 7 months to go to see if it might be an issue

Baby is male - no problem.
Baby is female - no problem.

It only becomes an issue if the first is female and second male. Could be a couple of years (or even another generation) before there might be any need to change the laws.

Besides by the time this one comes to the throne, most of us on here will not be around to see the coronation.

Congratulations to both and hope everything goes well over the next 7 months.

November4
4th Dec 2012, 12:13
Less than 24 hours after the announcement....the commercial opportunities have started.... :ugh:

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/64550000/jpg/_64550117_mug.jpg

Tinribs
4th Dec 2012, 12:16
What a fantastic end for her Maj's great year

Best wishes Mam and thanks for the watch and the pension and the training and the mates and the many happy memories

Tankertrashnav
4th Dec 2012, 14:50
You got a watch? I never got a watch - had to hand mine in :*

Courtney Mil
4th Dec 2012, 15:50
Fantastic news. Lovely people and a great end to the Jubilee year.

the general fawning on here

As most people here are anonymous, it can hardly be called fawning. You also mistake genuine happiness for something else. It is possible to be happy for other people, you know.

Tinribs
4th Dec 2012, 16:36
Couldn't find the watch when it was time to leave, thought I had given back years before hadn't used it or seen it in yonks.

They said I still had it so paid up and looked cheerful, well somewhat

Years later found it in a box of bits. Can't find the receipt, unit long closed and gone, what to do?

Spose I'll have to keep it pending any good ideas or being charged for illegal possession

Tinribs
4th Dec 2012, 16:56
Behave servilely, show cringing affection (OED)

You are wrong; I am not servile to my great lady sovereign. I am her proud follower, she has granted me the favour of two commisions, I am hers but she is also mine.

I worked some years for her, mostly happy, she will work a lifetime for me.
I was sometimes at risk in her service but history indicates she is at much greater risk over a lifetime

My affection for her and hers is not cringing, how could it be when we have met but once. I want only the satisfaction of being truly loyal.

The beauty of a monarchy is that it blocks the place others less able might usurp. In general good monarchs prosper and the bad fail. This is not true of politicians or dictators.

If we are to have a functional monarchy those within should be happy if they are to spend a lifetime of service. Being happy generally involves a contented family life

Duncan D'Sorderlee
4th Dec 2012, 17:10
Congrats to both. A future Prince of Wales to be born in Wales, pehaps?

(I doubt it, though!)

Duncs:ok:

Blue Bottle
4th Dec 2012, 17:11
well said Tinrib's

NutLoose
4th Dec 2012, 17:18
I thought it was NutLoose

Please, have some sensitivity, the wife's in hospital as it is....... Ooohhhheeer, that's given the game away :p

I see they're already predicting with the aid of digital composites what the poor kid will look like, wouldn't it be nice if they could be left alone to grow up with their parents far from the limelight and give them the chance of a proper life before getting stuck with burden their position will entail in later life..

ZH875
4th Dec 2012, 17:55
Less than 24 hours after the announcement....the commercial opportunities have started.... :ugh:

Just as bad as "Kate Middleton pregnant: Is this what the baby will look like?" http://uk.news.yahoo.com/photos/kate-middleton-photo-1708009089.html;_ylt=Ajmz62.ilHDn3_Pd5fHxZAHEfMl_;_ylu=X3oDM TQ1M2RsNGR0BG1pdANBcnRpY2xlIFJlbGF0ZWQgTGVhZARwa2cDMGRiYjA1N zAtMzY4NC0zYzE5LWFjMTctM2FhYTgxYTEzYTM5BHBvcwMxBHNlYwNNZWRpY UFydGljbGVMZWFkBHZlcgNkODg4MWMxMi0zZTBhLTExZTItYWM4ZS02N2Y2N TYwNzQzMDI-;_ylg=X3oDMTJsdTVvOThjBGludGwDZ2IEbGFuZwNlbi1nYgRwc3RhaWQDYz k1NzI2NDctNDA0ZC0zZmNkLTkzNDgtNmY4ZTJhYjMxYTRmBHBzdGNhdAN1aw RwdANzdG9yeXBhZ2U-;_ylv=3 (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/kate-middleton-pregnant--baby-boy-will-look-like-duchess-of-cambridge-and-the-baby-girl-like-william-120618143.html;_ylt=AlvmsXB2TXIJ0zxr7q15yl_2fMl_;_ylu=X3oDMT RuNHViODNxBG1pdANlZGl0b3JzIHBpY2tzIFJIIENvbCAxNzA5MTIEcGtnA2 M5NTcyNjQ3LTQwNGQtM2ZjZC05MzQ4LTZmOGUyYWIzMWE0ZgRwb3MDMQRzZW MDTWVkaWFCQ2Fyb3VzZWxNaXhlZExQQ0FUZW1wBHZlcgM5ZmExODAyMy0zZT BiLTExZTItYmI2Ny1lZjU2MGNhYTg3ZDI-;_ylg=X3oDMTJxZTEycDA2BGludGwDZ2IEbGFuZwNlbi1nYgRwc3RhaWQDOT QxYTgyY2UtMTMwMC0zZTNmLWJhM2EtZjc3ZTA2NGY3ZWEzBHBzdGNhdANzY2 llbmNlBHB0A3N0b3J5cGFnZQ--;_ylv=3#En3Ewf9)
http://www.pprune.org/[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/ZH875/2012-12-04_184912.pnghttp://www.pprune.org/[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/ZH875/2012-12-04_184912.pnghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/ZH875/2012-12-04_184912.png

If that's the size of the baby, no wonder Catherine is in hospital feeling sick.http://uk.news.yahoo.com/photos/kate-middleton-photo-1708009089.html;_ylt=Ajmz62.ilHDn3_Pd5fHxZAHEfMl_;_ylu=X3oDM TQ1M2RsNGR0BG1pdANBcnRpY2xlIFJlbGF0ZWQgTGVhZARwa2cDMGRiYjA1N zAtMzY4NC0zYzE5LWFjMTctM2FhYTgxYTEzYTM5BHBvcwMxBHNlYwNNZWRpY UFydGljbGVMZWFkBHZlcgNkODg4MWMxMi0zZTBhLTExZTItYWM4ZS02N2Y2N TYwNzQzMDI-;_ylg=X3oDMTJsdTVvOThjBGludGwDZ2IEbGFuZwNlbi1nYgRwc3RhaWQDYz k1NzI2NDctNDA0ZC0zZmNkLTkzNDgtNmY4ZTJhYjMxYTRmBHBzdGNhdAN1aw RwdANzdG9yeXBhZ2U-;_ylv=3

ratpackgreenslug
7th Dec 2012, 04:14
Hang the bunting, blow the trumpets and bang the tambourines! Jubilation and serendipitous joy. A royal sprog (actually, yet one more to join the unwholesome cluster) is about to claw its way down the royal birth canal to be rewarded by life-long feeding at the trough of tax-payer largess - even as the country enters a decade or more of austerity.

We had the right idea in 1649.

Tinribs: grow a set and stop being so horribly obsequious. It doesn't matter how much you fawn and grovel, as far as royalty is concerned you can go and eat cake.

CoffmanStarter
7th Dec 2012, 07:55
RPGS ...

You are entitled to your opinion but please don't mock those of us who are Loyal Royalists.

Regards ...

Coff.

BEagle
7th Dec 2012, 08:19
rpgs, would you sooner serve some pratt such as President Bliar?

King Edward 1 knew how to deal with those who would not recognise the English monarchy.....

Trumpet_trousers
7th Dec 2012, 08:39
Since when has there been a letter T in Dutchess? Eh Beags, and LM?:rolleyes:
I hope the pair of you haven't thrown away your ISS notes....

Dutchess (sic) indeed.... Those clog-wearing, cheese-munching (non-surrender types) and wacky-baccy types have nothing to do with it! :=

Fareastdriver
7th Dec 2012, 08:50
A future Prince of Wales to be born in Wales

Politically, that would be an excellent idea. It would pull the rug from under both the Welsh and the Scottish nationists.

Though again??????

Whenurhappy
7th Dec 2012, 10:47
RPGS,

You are clearly entitled to your opinions on the Monarchy, but please show some respect to a fellow serviceman (if, indeed, you do serve/have served) who has a demanding day job (obtained on merit), a lifetime of service ahead of him (not by his choosing), and his wife has just been rather ill, early on in their first pregnancy - have have been forced becasue of medja pressure to announce the pregnancy before the usual safe period of 12 weeks.

I suspect that he's got a bit on his mind at the moment and monarchist or no monarchist, I am sure that we all wish them both well in what must be a worrying time. He is a decent bloke, a good pilot and a fine member of our Royal Air Force and, frankly, could do without your purile invective.

melmothtw
7th Dec 2012, 10:58
To be fair Whenurhappy, this thread wasn't started because "a fellow serviceman" is having a baby, but because that baby will be born in to the royal family.

As republicanism isn't illegal this country I would say that RPGS' is entitled to his "invective", whether you or others agree with it or not.

Of course, this could all have been avoided if the original poster had stuck to remit of this forum - military aviation.

Union Jack
7th Dec 2012, 12:05
Meanwhile, on ARRSE

Crab knocks up missus (http://arrse.us1.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=ae7a0160c2f817b1c506d3a56&id=f58f72f95d&e=b3a40a7ddb)

Jack

Whenurhappy
7th Dec 2012, 12:16
Point taken,

But I don't beleive that any young and expectant couple should come in for undeserved and pretty repugnant comments.

Union Jack
7th Dec 2012, 12:36
My thoughts exactly - so dark blue agrees with light blue about green.:ok:

Jack

melmothtw
7th Dec 2012, 12:45
But I don't beleive that any young and expectant couple should come in for undeserved and pretty repugnant comments.
Understood, but again I'm guessing that those comments weren't posted because of who Will and Kate are, but because of what they represent.

After all, what they represent was the reason this thread, with all its jingoistic and somewhat sycophantic exclamations of royal pride, was started in the first place.

If nothing else, I guess it has proven Newton's third law of motion - For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. You can't argue with the laws of physics!

BEagle
7th Dec 2012, 13:50
Tē - ahh, bug.ger it! Duly edited!

How goes the testing programme?

CoffmanStarter
8th Dec 2012, 08:09
Me thinks a small EMP is needed in Sydney near a certain Radio Station ... a very very sad and unnecessary tragedy and most upsetting for Kate & William I'm sure.

Trumpet_trousers
10th Dec 2012, 10:41
How goes the testing programme?
Fine, as indicated by other threads! ...and I thought I had left long, boring sectors behind me, but at least that's another hurdle done. As to the more 'esoteric' stuff... well, your guess is as good as mine!