PDA

View Full Version : Room or Airstrip - your priority?

Sam Rutherford
3rd Dec 2012, 12:20
There is a commercial angle to this post (a trip we're planning) - so if it breaks the rules then please remove.

Myself and the missus are currently in a debate:

I prefer the rare places that actually have their own airstrips (but where the rooms are generally of a lower standard).
She prefers the nicer rooms, and is not bothered by the taxi drive to/from a normal little aerodrome.

Of course, there are many shades of hotel, but which camp do you think you are closer to?

Fly comfortably, Sam.

Dg800
3rd Dec 2012, 12:40
When traveling alone: Camp 1.
When traveling with spouse/opposite sex companion: whatever she thinks is best.

Pretty obvious really, you do want to actually enjoy the vacation, don't you? :E

gasax
3rd Dec 2012, 13:56
Frankly there are few strips where the attractions of the strip are good enough to put up with the inevitable rubbish accomodation....

I can only think of a few chateaus or a huge number of floatplane destinations. To be fair most of the floatplane destinations are either real wilderness or you would be better off in a decent hotel.

I've flown into some interesting strips - but apart from the challenge that is all they are - I've always been left with a feeling of "OK done that, where next". Presumably because I only land where I think I can actually do it (and takeoff!). There is little in that for any passengers.

To add a bit more context I remember flying into Sywell a long time ago - the accomodation was to put it mildly very basic. I thought the whole thing could have been so much better. Nowadays it largely is and Sywell is a pleasant destination so it is on my list of places to stop if I have to detour or whatever - but inspite of vastly better accomodation than it used to have it still does not offer much as a sole destination.

darkroomsource
3rd Dec 2012, 19:21
If you are fortunate enough to have a wife who likes to fly with you, or puts up with flying with you, why wouldn't you stay in the place that makes her happy?
Keep staying in the places she doesn't like and she'll just stop flying with you.

Rabbs
3rd Dec 2012, 19:30
I'd keep the missus happy and still fly into the strip - so 2. As Darkroom says, once she stops flying with you then you end up with 2 and a commercial flight....

Richard Westnot
3rd Dec 2012, 19:46
Option 3 - Leave the wife at home and take the girlfriend. Inferior room will do just fine ;)

Ultranomad
3rd Dec 2012, 21:45
In practice: definitely option 1.
If I had lots of spare money: buying an AN-2 and converting it to a live-aboard.

Jude098
4th Dec 2012, 12:54
If thinking of going to France, my friends at L'Aeronautique are doing pilot B&B at their home on a gated Airpark at Biscarrosse about 80klm south of Bordeaux.

Visitor Double and single bedrooms with own bathroom. Swimming pool. Park your aircraft on their own apron out side the front door, AVGAS available on airfield which has ATC Mon-Fri (will do English, lol) otherwise freecall which can be in English or French.

PM me and I can send you a pdf leaflet I designed for them.