PDA

View Full Version : Working from home.

alisoncc
2nd Dec 2012, 16:25
Soldiers given extra Christmas leave as a 'thank you'

BBC News - Soldiers given extra Christmas leave as a 'thank you' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20573387)

The directive says: "Staff should be encouraged during this period to work from home, where suitable work can be made available."

Does this give Sgt Nightingale a valid course for appeal. "The 3 RPG launchers and ammunition under the bed were necessary for me to work from home, Sir"

Unfortunately the "The RAF and Royal Navy are not affected by the decision", but the mind boggles at the possibilities should it be so now, and even backdated perhaps. "Please Sir, can I take a Vulcan home so I can change the Red Steer over the weekend?" Or "The 4 ECM cans in the back of my truck were for testing over the Christmas break at home". http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/badteeth.gif Hate stupid Christmas movies - jam everything for 50 mile radius. Fix Bob Hope and his White Christmas for good.

So for serving members of PPrune, submissions are being accepted for work that you would like to accomplish at home over the Christmas break. Importing desert for quick sorties might, just might, be a bit over the top, but anything else will be considered. Harriers have definitely been cancelled, so you can't take one home to impress the neighbours.

Pontius Navigator
2nd Dec 2012, 16:38
A lighted circle with fairy lights provided the Harrier guys will guarantee getting their bombs inside the circle - well I did run a bombing range.

air pig
2nd Dec 2012, 17:01
On the story of fairy lights on a Vickers fun bus whist refueling aircraft over the 'Stan sometime ago

MightyGem
2nd Dec 2012, 21:10
Well, I suppose drone pilots can do it equally well from the back bedroom as opposed to a portacabin.

FFP
2nd Dec 2012, 22:40
Very few drone pilots actually get to work from home (limited to a few CR(A) type operators) due to the security assessment / hardware requirements. Those that have operated from home tend to prefer actually going into work as you spend more time on the phone instead of talking face to face. Efficiency-wise, you can get an extra few hours out of someone as they don't have to travel, so it does have it's upside.

NutLoose
3rd Dec 2012, 00:14
Cool, so this may eventually become true. RAF Regiment working from home...

http://de-motivational-posters.com/images/don-39-t-worry-sir-i-39-m-from-the-internet.jpg

Lukeafb1
3rd Dec 2012, 07:25
Alisoncc,

From memory, Bob Hope wasn't in 'White Christmas'!! :hmm::hmm:

Wensleydale
3rd Dec 2012, 07:38
From memory, Bob Hope wasn't in 'White Christmas'

Shows how good the jammer is then!

Grumpy106
3rd Dec 2012, 07:48
As usual, the press have got this story totally wrong. It is the CS who are being encouraged to 'work from home' as they cannot be granted stand-down. I don't know about the rest of the RAF too, as we are being 'encouraged' to take the same period of leave as the Army, and have been given the Stand-down as well.

alisoncc
3rd Dec 2012, 08:53
"From memory, Bob Hope wasn't in 'White Christmas'!!

I think I intended to write Bing Crosby, singing some song about "Dreaming of a White Christmas". Bob Hope - Bob Crosby - Bing Hope - Bing Crosby, bit of a muchness.

Pontius Navigator
3rd Dec 2012, 09:10
Grumpy, whilst that am true it is also a nonsense. The Minster can declare anything.

As a CS working with a load of contractors it would have got pretty lonely with no military input when I was at work.

But this thread is supposed to be frivolous :)

CoffmanStarter
3rd Dec 2012, 09:21
Looks like the Tankies have already embraced the challenge :E

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/15.jpg

MightyGem
3rd Dec 2012, 22:05
Very few drone pilots actually get to work from home (limited to a few CR(A) type operators) due to the security assessment / hardware requirements. Those that have operated from home tend to prefer actually going into work as you spend more time on the phone instead of talking face to face. Efficiency-wise, you can get an extra few hours out of someone as they don't have to travel, so it does have it's upside.
Thanks for clearing that up, FFP. :rolleyes:

Melchett01
4th Dec 2012, 07:58
I have a 145ft garden with trees at the end which I will be converting to an HLS for confined approach / winching drills if anyone is interested.

Roland Pulfrew
4th Dec 2012, 10:30
I have a 145ft garden with trees at the end which I will be converting to an HLS for confined approach

I have a garden which might take a Lynx (just), if someone could bring a Chinook or a Merlin I have a couple of hedges that need pruning. :E

CoffmanStarter
4th Dec 2012, 12:36
I've got about an acre here in East Sussex (LFA 18) ... 24 Hrs PPR so I can organise the Hog Roast, Mince Pies and Mulled Wine :}

mike-wsm
4th Dec 2012, 13:04
A Swarm of Nano Quadrotors - YouTube

AR1
4th Dec 2012, 17:37
Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye were in White Christmas - I watched it on Sunday. WFH of course.