PDA

View Full Version : Puma Reunion 2012

RadishReunion
2nd Dec 2012, 10:30
A huge thanks to all at the PR who allowed me to pester them so relentlessly for cash on Friday night. Your generosity and patience produced :D£650:) in cash for the MS Society and the Archie Foundation, plus at least another £150 if all those who promised to donate online a. remember promising and b. actually do it!

Thank you very much again. Roll on 2014!

Radish

Old-Duffer
2nd Dec 2012, 19:38
Well RR,

Congratulations on raising so much for worthy causes. I have to say, however, that there is a time and place for everything.

Whilst I contribute to the MS Society and other charities, as far as my dwindling resources allow, the PR bash would not be my chosen spot to pitch for donations to non-service causes. Had I been present, I might have invited you to go forth and multiply, particularly if it had been late in the evening!

The following morning I would, of course, have regretted my churlish behaviour but it remains that - there is a code.

Old Duffer

RadishReunion
2nd Dec 2012, 20:04
And I would have accepted your decision with good grace, there were a few who did not wish to, and that is of course fine!

There were 78 people who were more than happy to, though, averaging a very generous £10 each, and I am grateful to them all.

Rgds

Radish

SimonK
2nd Dec 2012, 20:42
What a very strange thing to say Old Duffer!

A very worthy cause Radish, I haven't sponsored you yet as I couldn't make the PR; please either Facebook me or post here and I'll sponsor you aswell.

Bah humbug! Siko

RadishReunion
2nd Dec 2012, 21:15
Cheers Si, I've sent you the details on FB, not sure if I'm allowed to post links like that on here!

Old-Duffer
3rd Dec 2012, 09:31
Good Morning SimonK,

I accept that my comments might appear strange.

Whilst I don’t want to suggest that either charity should not be supported, I do believe there is a time and place and I don’t think a service reunion is the place to hawk for support of a non-service charity.

I go to a reunion to meet old mates and chew the cud. I might accept that – say – a raffle in support of Help 4 Heroes was an appropriate diversion but I don’t want to talk to the boss about my bonus or my promotion prospects. Nor do I want somebody, however honourable their motives, trying to get me to cough up some money for something which is well outside the scope of the reunion and the reasons for that reunion. In my view, it’s just what is the right time and place.

Sometime ago, I was enjoying a meal with some friends in a pub restaurant when some people came round the tables collecting. Not only was it embarrassing to me and my guests but it was invading my space and was an unwanted intrusion. The pub landlord didn’t seem concerned when I mentioned it, so I ain’t been there again.

Apologies if I appear a curmudgeon, perhaps I’m just too old fashioned.

Old Duffer

WASALOADIE
3rd Dec 2012, 11:08
Radish,

PM me with the details (paypal) and I shall also donate. Wish I could have been there, I raised a glass or 3 in the honour of the evening, remembering absent friends. Next year hopefully (Insh Allah)

Did Mrs OF get the door lock done?

Regards AP