PDA

View Full Version : 33 Squadron Association

Membership Secretary
2nd Dec 2012, 09:53
33 Squadron remains one of the most senior Squadrons in theRoyal Air Force that does not have an Association. To that end the 33 SquadronAssociation will form on the 12th January, 2013. This poignant datemarks 96 years since the formation of the Squadron at Filton.

The Association will be formed to foster the unique spiritof 33 Squadron and all current serving and ex-serving Squadron personnel areinvited to join. Personnel who have had a connection with the Squadron are alsowelcome to apply.

For further information please contact MembershipSecretary(at) gmx.com

Old-Duffer
3rd Dec 2012, 05:26
Are you really sure there is no 33 Sqn Association or is it just that they are perhaps not 'alongside' the active squadron as they could be?

A good friend, who flew Hornets on 33 in Malaya and was then a big cheese when the squadron reformed with Puma, has reported several occasions in recent years when he has been to a reunion bash.

I will email him this morning and report back!

Good luck with the new body, however. I'm sure a trawl of those ex-33 bods who attended 'Puma 40' at Benson would probably know if I am mistaken.

Old Duffer

Membership Secretary
3rd Dec 2012, 07:12
Old Duffer,

I would appreciate it if you did contact your friend to confirm the existenceof a current Association. I am aware of RAF Butterworth and Penang Association,maybe that is where your friend reunites?

As a member of the Squadron for a number of years and a previous SqnHistorian I would very much welcome the existence of a current Association onwhich to build with the newer (Puma) generation of members.

Regards,

Membership Secretary

Old-Duffer
3rd Dec 2012, 19:29
Sorry, Membership Secretary,

I gave you duff gen. The guys in question are ex-33 Butterworth/Hornet days and don't claim to be a fully functioning squadron association. My apologies but perhaps I should give them your details.

Old Duffer

Airborne Aircrew
3rd Dec 2012, 21:58
It would be nice if, since you're starting an association, you could spend the time and small amount of cash to grab a fitting domain name. Funnily enough 33squadron.co.uk is available as is .org and .net...

You'd look right classy if you could rustle up the wherewithal to acquire one of them... :ok:

ShyTorque
3rd Dec 2012, 22:00
33? Let's face it, who would want to admit...... :E

Airborne Aircrew
3rd Dec 2012, 22:15
Prejudices aside... :D:D:D

Membership Secretary
3rd Dec 2012, 22:24
Airborne Aircrew - I totally agree. However, taking the step to advertise the formation to gain interest and start the ball rolling was the number one priority. I have looked into the concept of a website or forum but I will leave that up to a suitably qualified member of the Association who is able to dedicate the time and skills that a simple website will require. Having been 'burnt' trying to have too many roles I am more than happy to form the Association and remain the Membership Secretary and dedicate 100% to that instead of 33% ;) to a number of roles!!

ShyTorque
3rd Dec 2012, 22:33
I did do time on 33. Unfortunately it was under the command of a certain wellington boot wearing, great coated grizzly person at the time.

I have since recovered.

pmdavies33
3rd Dec 2012, 22:42
The PPRUNE Moderators are being a little slow in moderating my previous responses so I am posting on my original username that I use for lurking:ugh:

Airborne Aircrew - Excellent idea. Something I consider to be a must sometime in the future. My number one priority was, and is, to form the Association and gauge interest through a number of mediums. Having been 'burnt' previously by wearing too many hats I shall leave the webmastery to a suitable qualified member of the Association who can dedicate the time and skill to building and maintaining a website.

NutLoose
3rd Dec 2012, 23:17
Suprised no one had the Hart to do this earlier...... :O

Old-Duffer
4th Dec 2012, 05:43
Mem -Sec,

After my earlier faux pas, I think I need to make amends.

I am involved wth a group of ex-(mainly) RAF helicopter operators and amongst our number we count six former sqn cdrs of 33 and a shed load of others who flew with the unit or kept those airborne who did..

I will pass the word of the formation of the squadron association and I feel certain there will be many takers. As I did not have the opportunity to serve with 33 or any other Puma unit, I shall be unable to join you.

Old Duffer

Dundiggin'
5th Dec 2012, 04:23
As I was on No 3 Puma Course and helped form 33 Sqn at 'RAF Long Sutton' could I be Member No 3 please?
About time too. It had been muted several times in the past but now I think it is time for action. I'd be delighted to take on an appointment to assist. I was the Sqn historian when TJ was boss :D
Cheque nearly in the post.....

Fareastdriver
5th Dec 2012, 10:48
I have tried to ask for information but the email address keeps getting thrown back at me.

Membership Secretary
5th Dec 2012, 10:58
Fareastdriver - I have PM'd you.

Many thanks for the response so far. I see in excess of 800 people have looked at this thread. If you are considering joining please send me an email.

Response has been steady but I would love to see alot more emails.

Dundiggin'
5th Dec 2012, 17:00
Could you pl also pm me the details as mine throws me out as well!!
By the way I would LOVE to be the Sqn historian as I've said I have done it before and in my tenure we discovered loads of new and very interesting detail and I secured most of the WW11 photos and collated them into the large volumes which the sqn did have years ago.
Cheers

Al R
5th Dec 2012, 17:42
As a 33 old boy I've also registered an interest.

Is the Mig 21 cockpit procedures trainer in the crewroom still? Steve M and I liberated that on Op Determinant (if it is, our message to the aircrew may still be on the reverse). Try as we might, we couldn't get the Mig's cannon out with a Leatherman, mind.

http://www.echelonwealthcare.co.uk/site/wp-content/uploads/303866_176838229061800_1592408735_n-300x201.jpg

Me, next to a Mig.

http://www.echelonwealthcare.co.uk/site/wp-content/uploads/303904_176808259064797_482553394_n-300x222.jpg

Me with the ball. The US 6th Fleet United States Marine Corps rugby team quiver in their boots (as well they might).

http://www.echelonwealthcare.co.uk/site/wp-content/uploads/305493_176838629061760_2033599437_n-300x201.jpg

A nice shot of an old, struggling, wheezy thing. And a Soviet transporter.

http://www.echelonwealthcare.co.uk/site/wp-content/uploads/316146_176838402395116_1718720550_n-300x201.jpg

Brazaville or Libraville. Group Captain Mike Heath was the DetCo - a good bloke.

Membership Secretary
9th Dec 2012, 11:30
Many thanks for those who have emailed to register an interest. We now have a bank account and emails have gone out with updates and the necessary forms to fill in and return.

Membership Secretary
26th Jan 2013, 14:16
The 33 Squadron Association goes from strength to strength. Formed on the 12th January, 2013 the numbers are steadily growing. Air Cdre Paul Lyall has graciously agreed to become our President and we have a plan to commemorate the formation of the Association with a gathering at the National Arboretum in April.

The Association now has a forum based website designed and hosted by PPRUNEs very own Airbourne Aircrew. My heartfelt (hartfelt!) thanks go to him for his patience and perserverence with my many requests!! The website can be found at www.33sqnassociation.co.uk (http://www.33sqnassociation.co.uk)

PeregrineW
26th Jan 2013, 16:59
Suprised no one had the Hart to do this earlier......

Sorry about the long flash to bang time, but I thought that was funny! :)

Never had much to do with 33 directly...too busy having "fun" over on the OCU!

ICM
26th Jan 2013, 18:59
The Great War Forum is a site given over to all manner of WWI detail, with a special section on Air-related matters. As it happens, should you be interested, a 33 Sqn-related thread just been revived:

33rd Squadron RFC, Zeppelin defenders - 1st Blitz, UK Airfields & Home Service - Great War Forum (http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=135866#entry1294404)

Membership Secretary
27th Jan 2013, 13:23
Many thanks ICM. This information is greatly received and I have provided a link on the forum so that others can share in the details of the sacrifices the pioneers of the Sqn made!!

Membership Secretary
9th Apr 2013, 13:19
The first gathering of members of 33 Squadron Associationwill take place on Saturday 20th April at the National Arboretum. A donation from the Association has allowed atree to be named in the Associations honour. The event will be followed by the InauguralAGM to form the Committee. If you are interested in joining the Association, orattending PM me for further details.

Wensleydale
9th Apr 2013, 14:20
atree to be named in the Associations honour

Which bit of it is the general duties branch?

charliegolf
9th Apr 2013, 16:08
Which bit of it is the general duties branch?

The thick bit?

CG

Tea White Zero
9th Apr 2013, 19:10
a few years back I did the 30 Sqn Memorial at Maleme in Crete. The memorial is shared between 30 and 33 Sqns and there were a bunch of old boys to accompany the current sqn members.

I was told by an old boy (during a few beers at the local bar) that 33 had no joint association but there were separate aircrew and ground crew groups. this was as a result of the defence of Maleme where the aircrew departed the fix in what ever was able to get into the air, and left the ground crew to defend the airfield from german paratroop attack. Not sure all the details.

web link is to the memorial on the 30 Sqn association website
30 Squadron RAF Memorials of Past Campaigns and Incidents (http://www.30squadronassociation.com/memorials/index.html)

Airborne Aircrew
15th Jun 2013, 21:31
I host the 33 Squadron Association web site at 33 Squadron Association (http://www.33sqnassociation.co.uk) but I do not run the association. I was started by a gentleman called Paul Davies who I believe is still serving and works out of Benson.

For some reason I have lost contact with him. He doesn't answer emails to his given email address at the association site or to PM's there or here. This has been going on for about 6 weeks. One hopes nothing bad has happened but if anyone knows another way of contacting him could you please see if you can do so and point him back to the association site... Or PM me details that I could use...

Many thanks in advance,,,

pmdavies33
16th Jun 2013, 12:51
AA. I have now PM'd you through the Association Website.

malcolm_raf
10th Nov 2015, 10:32
Hi

I run the website www.rafweb.org (http://www.rafweb.org) and wondered if anyone has access to a list of Sqn Commanders for the post 1962 period that I could add my existing listing?

Many thanks in advance, Malcolm