PDA

View Full Version : Reverse thrust

Boslandew
1st Dec 2012, 19:20
Just a thought. Is it possible to use reverse thrust to back off from the gate. Is it a technique ever used by commercial pure-jets?

hetfield
1st Dec 2012, 19:25
Some US companies did that on 727 for a while.

Intruder
1st Dec 2012, 20:05
Allowed on some types like the MD-80. Not allowed on most with underwing engines.

DaveReidUK
1st Dec 2012, 20:27
Fairly common with turboprops.

sevenstrokeroll
1st Dec 2012, 21:05
I've done them on the DC9 and (pratt and whitney powered both) 737-200's.

we call them: Power BAcks instead of Pushbacks.

only things to be careful, area and people clear, and when you stop, you exit revverse thrust and go to forward thrust to stop...just hitting the wheel brakes might end you up on your tail skid....don't do it on wet/icy areas.

I even know of one guy who did it a little bit on a 767...but you aren't supposed to. Icy area, conventional tug ppushback couldn't get traction...went in reverse for a couple of seconds to get out.

again, against rules on 767

con-pilot
1st Dec 2012, 21:37
I did a few times in 727s. No big deal, just make damn sure not to hit the brakes. :\

I was in the right seat one day and the guy in the left seat did hit the brakes, realised what he did the second he hit the brakes. We didn't go back on the tail skid, but it was close.

He was an experienced PIC as well, later he admitted he just had a brain fart. He did buy the beers that night. :p

Capt Claret
1st Dec 2012, 22:06
B717 FCOM contains a section on the manoeuvre. Company SOP prohibit Power Back.

barit1
2nd Dec 2012, 02:23
Early 80s, KATL, two Eastern DC-9s were parked at different concourses, back-to-back. Guess what happened when both powered back at the same time. :rolleyes:

Capn Bloggs
2nd Dec 2012, 06:08
Here you go:

KdWEArjevZM

Check Airman
2nd Dec 2012, 06:30
Early 80s, KATL, two Eastern DC-9s were parked at different concourses, back-to-back. Guess what happened when both powered back at the same time. :rolleyes:

They invented what we now call "ramp control"?:}

Bengerman
2nd Dec 2012, 10:42
Seem to remember an IL-62 carrying out this manoevre when, for whatever reason, groundcrew refused to push the aircraft back. I think a number of lounge windows were blown in!

grounded27
2nd Dec 2012, 14:24
This is probably obvious for most. Just about any aircraft can power pack, FOD is the issue and reason why the power back was only common on tail mounted engine aircraft. It saves time and resources only needing one marshaller for the procedure to be done safely.

rogerg
2nd Dec 2012, 17:55
Did it myself at BHX, in a 1-11, when the push back truck broke down.

Boslandew
3rd Dec 2012, 12:14
Gentlemen

Many thanks for the comments. It sounded like a sensible idea if, for example, the push-back tractor was u/s but you never know until you ask the right bloke.

As a rotary man, S61 and Commercial Chinook, we never had these problems.

Thanks again

pattern_is_full
3rd Dec 2012, 17:05
I rode a few powerbacks as a teen pax in the 70's - DC-9 or 722.

I think rising fuel prices had a role in discountenancing them (earlier engine start, and thrust burst - wasn't it Richard Branson who called for tug service all the way to the ILS hold lines to save a few pounds of fuel before engine start?).

It doesn't take a lot of fuel - but totalled over 1,000 flights a day for a big carrier, powerbacks can add up to a noticeable chunk of cash. And carbon output.

Additionally, of course, there are issues of sandblasting the ramp workers and the big plate-glass windows in today's gate lounges with debris. And that constant bugaboo - noise.

Not "politically correct," on a number of counts. :=

But technically workable.

west lakes
5th Dec 2012, 15:14
Saw an RAF C-130 do a 3 point turn at BLK one airshow (well away from the crowd)

Fullblast
5th Dec 2012, 17:00
From 737 NG Fctm:
Backing with reverse thrust is not recommended.

But still possible.

FB

JammedStab
6th Dec 2012, 03:02
Saw an RAF C-130 do a 3 point turn at BLK one airshow (well away from the crowd)

We used to back up with C-130's on ice covered surfaces to an offloading ramp built of snow/ice. The back door and ramp would be open partially and the loadmaster would provide guidance with headset communications at the back entrance.

bubbers44
6th Dec 2012, 05:16
Did a lot of them in the MD80. Hated it. Airplanes were made to go forward.

JammedStab
8th Dec 2012, 00:48
Seem to remember Eastern Airlines in ATL doing it with every type except the A-300. That means...yes, they were reversing out of the gate with 757's.