PDA

View Full Version : Flying pay shambles - Again

Muzza999
1st Dec 2012, 19:13
Clearly I'm new here, but i thought id have a peep as I thought the forum would be ablaze with indignant AAC (and ex AAC types) who are facing a debt (suspended for now) as a result of the re interpretation of flying pay the AAC attempted to unleash on its pilots back in 2007.

Is this brewing elsewhere on the site, or are people not fully aware of the scale of this issue yet?

Either way, I suggest you check the revised payroll on JPA on Monday when the 'debts' manifest themselves on your payslips. It will potentially affect the generation caught between the 2008 award of FP on Ocu, and the p1/2 brigade who were caught in the middle.

You may not be affected at all, and if you are then you should already know.

Regards

Muzza

GalleyTeapot
1st Dec 2012, 20:43
Can you enlighten us non AAC types to the issue here? What have they done with flying pay exactly?

Easy Street
1st Dec 2012, 22:46
It's a legacy issue - in 2008 flying pay was changed so that it started on completion of a first operational conversion course, rather than a set number weeks into a flying career (incidentally, massively penalising those on longer training pathways). I seem to recall that the transitional arrangments meant that students already in receipt of flying pay would keep it, whereas those who had not qualified by the cut-off date would have to wait until they completed an OCU. It sounds like there was some kind of screw-up in the case above..

vascodegama
2nd Dec 2012, 08:03
A pilot at the secret Oxon base had exactly this problem. After a bit of debate the system agreed he was right and backed down. If I remember rightly he had to produce the PAM air that showed the rules at the time. Don't forget that any delay in the first rate of flying pay will also have a knock on to the next rate(s).

Pontius Navigator
2nd Dec 2012, 09:53
he had to produce the PAM air that showed the rules at the time.

The lesson here is do NOT discard any ToS paperwork. Of course I had PAM setting out ToS including marriage allowance and pension payment. They were so far in the future that of course I didn't keep them. a few years down the line I wised up although in those days the guys higher up the tree weren't trying to stuff you at every turn.

Sloppy Link
2nd Dec 2012, 14:42
Recovery from those that left the service will be fun to watch, those serving will simply have it taken from their basic....whether they like it or not. Even more interesting will be those affected that are deceased, I can see the headlines now.

A shameful state of affairs that sees individuals being put through an inordinate amount of stress to recover money that they have been overpaid, through no fault of their own but a flawed system that allowed pay offices to interpret the rules in a manner that was not consistent across the Corps.

Disappointed on my colleagues behalf.

ralphmalph
2nd Dec 2012, 16:21
Couldn't see this coming! Poor buggers......to be honest though, why would you expect anything less?!

People have been banging on about this for years and years to try and bring some parity to the FP issue.

I wonder what "interpretation" they will come up with next.......no doubt one where you loose even more money.

And they wonder why retention is a problem in the AAC!

Those that they were happy to piss off in 2007.......are exactly the ones they need to keep now.

vascodegama
2nd Dec 2012, 17:42
It's funny when they owe you money. It took 3 years to win the case for Sqn Ldr LOA that we took as a right on transfer from Spec Aircrew to PA. Once again it was only when shown their own source documents (which they had copies of) that they paid. Bottom line don't trust the bastards at all. Best of all was that my case was not an authority for everyone else!