PDA

View Full Version : PPL- now, or later?

stick&rudder
14th Apr 2002, 09:12
I'm just aboutm to leave school to go to uni, At the moment I glide, but i'm thinking about getting my ppl. As I understand it, if you take the modular option to a CPL/IR/-frozen ATPL all the exams have to be taken within 3 years (source 02fo- is this out of date?) As it will be about 5 years before i will have finished all my training, is it worth getting my ppl now, and if so, do i have to take the exams again later?
If i do decide to do it now, i'm a bit pushed for time, how long do you reckon would it take (in full days, full time) to complete my ppl, bearing in mind i will have my bronze certificate for gliding by then (if that means anything to you)
Has anyone else out there taken this route? did u find that gliding experience cut down the length of ppl training much?
Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to avoid a-level revision; relatively speaking, this stuff is absolutely fascinating!
cheers

14th Apr 2002, 09:57
If you do the FRZN ATPL exams you gotta comlete your CPL/IR within 3 years. I would suggest you to do only the PPL written (not too big thing, not too difficult) and then the training. (step by step) So you got all the time to build up hours and save some money. And when you got engough experience go for frzn ATPL and do the CPL/IR training.

Jinkster
14th Apr 2002, 13:18
I dont know your budget but there are places in Florida, USA (many advertise in the back of the pilot mags) that say PPL in 3 weeks - I would give it 4 weeks and that gives you extra time in case of bad weather etc. If you were to head out to Florida to do the PPL then if I were you to read all the books before you flew out and get the exams out of the way.

The bronze gliding (were you in the Air Cadets at all?) will help you - it will give you a head start once you start flying.

BUT remember - get the exams out of the way ASAP I am talking from experience.

Hope this helps.

;)

scroggs
14th Apr 2002, 19:20
If you do decide to do your PPL training in the US, allow double the quoted timescale and remember that you need a Visa to undergo training in the US. There have been a couple of threads on this subject recently.

Sliding member
15th Apr 2002, 00:20
Don't know what your finacial status is but unless you can afford to fly & be a student at the same time it may be wise to wait until you have finished your studies, or at least be in your last year, thats how I did it in the old days of grants & student loans which was saved for my PPL after uni studies. You might get a PPL before uni but then have insufficient funds to see you through the course which wouldn't be good. However, if you want to fly and money is no problem then go for it. :)