PDA

View Full Version : Merit of renewing SECIR?

poonpossum
29th Nov 2012, 01:11
Hi friends,

I thought I would put it to the forum as everyone I ring does not seem to be able to deliver any straight up information to what I thought was a simple question.

I currently possess a single engine instrument rating, but unless I find me a Van or PC12 or some such aircraft, it is effectively not very useful.

I am soon coming up to the end of my renewal period, and my question is, how would a MECIR upgrade differ now, compared to if I was to let my SECIR expire and do it after that?

As I have no need and no cash for an MECIR upgrade at the moment, I would only be holding onto the single for any advantages it may afford me during the future multi upgrade.

Any insight is much appreciated.

seneca208
29th Nov 2012, 01:24
Without trying to be smart, I would have thought the merits were fairly obvious. If you're hoping to fly multi engine aircraft on IFR ops in the next 12 months, there would really be no other choice than getting a MECIR.

poonpossum
29th Nov 2012, 01:49
Yet I am not hoping to do that. Hence the question.

Old Akro
29th Nov 2012, 02:00
What about (while you have the SECIR) getting a private IFR rating. I THINK this is largely a paper exercise. It leaves you with an instrument rating that is less arduous to maintain.

CIR is largely a merit based endorsement. So, I THINK, that the fact that it has expired won't matter - just how good you are.

I THINK the main game will be IREX. If you let the SECIR lapse, when you come to get an initial issue MECIR, will your old IREX credits still be valid? It would be worth asking if the upgrade path from PIFR is easier than a lapsed SECIR.

scavenger
29th Nov 2012, 03:27
how would a MECIR upgrade differ now, compared to if I was to let my SECIR expire and do it after that?

If you keep the single rating current, you only need to demonstrate an asymmetric missed approach, asymmetric circling and EFATO in the multi to upgrade the rating. You would not need to do all the approaches again (but you would obvioulsy need to do 2 approaches to get the asy missed approach and asy circling). If you have no rating and haven't for 12 months, you will need to do the initial issue flight test whether single or multi.

IREX covers single and multi ratings and the theory credit is valid indefinitely.

If you're flying in PVT ops, the PIFR is the way to go. There is no upgrade path from PIFR to CIR but the PIFR has no renewal nor recency. I think there is a AFR style check for the PIFR every 2 years.

poonpossum
29th Nov 2012, 03:38
Great, thanks for that Scavenger :)

bentleg
29th Nov 2012, 08:54
PIFR has no renewal nor recency. I think there is a AFR style check for the PIFR every 2 years.

Some flying schools/clubs mandate CAO 40.2.1 (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:OLDASSET::svPath=/download/orders/cao40/,svFileName=400201.pdf) recent experience requirements for PIFR, a wise policy IMHO. No renewal for PIFR, just AFR every two years.

Feather #3
29th Nov 2012, 10:04
Note that the AFR for a PIFR at 2 years is more expensive than renewing a CIR [of either persuasion] every 23 months.

G'day ;)