PDA

View Full Version : Overseas Maintenance of Oz Registered Aircraft.

Guptar
28th Nov 2012, 04:59
In short, how is it done from a Oz regulatory perspective.

Eg., a biz jet on the VH register, a Global, Gulfstream or lately even smaller personal jets seem to be ranging over all corners of the globe. Lots of photos on the net of VH Aircraft in Iceland, Greenland, and other remote areas.

Now there are ots of places around the world, most seem to be Certified FAA Repair Stations or EASA certified.

So what happens when you pull into a place with a problem in your VH aircraft, the facility is approved to work on your aircraft from FAA and EASA but doesnt have CASA approval. The engineers there are appropriately licenced in their (CASA LAME equivalent) country, but how do they sign off on the work that is done on the MR.

Someone said to me a while back to get around this you dont enter anything on the MR but logbook entries are made which is satisfactory?

Even NZ doesnt have many CASA approved engineers.

Can anyone shed some light on this.

blackhand
28th Nov 2012, 05:46
CAR42ZD, maintenance on australian aircraft outside australian territory.
(2)A person may carry out maintenance on an Australian aircraft outside Australian territory if:
(a) the person would be permitted by regulation 42ZC to carry out the maintenance if the aircraft were in Australian territory; or

(b) if the aircraft is in a Contracting State — the person would be permitted under the law of the Contracting State to carry out the maintenance if the aircraft were registered in the Contracting State; or

(c) the person is authorised by CASA under subregulation (3) to carry out the maintenance and the maintenance is carried out in accordance with any conditions subject to which the authorisation is given.

30/30 Green Light
28th Nov 2012, 06:03
The only time it becomes an issue is when a MR has to be issued.That then requires the issue of an Instrument from CASA

Guptar
28th Nov 2012, 06:20
Thanks for the link, but it doesnt spell out what is to be done on the MR.

A friend found he had a cracked cylinder during a 50hr oil change in the US earlier this year. The oil change was done and the A&P signed off the MR using his FAA A&P number while the cylinder replacement was entered in the engine log book. No one was sure if the MR could leagally be signed off by a non CASA LAME. The regs dont spell out if the entry in the MR entry can be closed off overseas.

blackhand
28th Nov 2012, 07:14
Guptar, don't look for ambiguaty- I reckon it is implicit in CAR42ZD that the maintenance can be certified in the appropriate document. If ever I was asked to justify it.

30/30 - my understanding was, that an overseas Part 145 organisation, with approval for Release to Service of the type of aircraft , can issue an Australian Maintenance Release.. Now not so sure my interpretation is correct. So what's the go?

nomorecatering
28th Nov 2012, 10:10
As an aside issue, the MR forms we currently use, that horrible multifolded piece thats plastacised, is it the only acceptable form on a maintenance release. Apart from looking crappy, once I went through 20 pens before I could find one that would write on it when trying to sign for a daily inspection.

Is that form from CASA the only one you can use?