PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the States

Brix
27th Nov 2012, 18:18
The FAA cardboard licenses are running out. So I thought I apply for a renewal based on my foreign ATPL. It was rejected by the FAA stating I wasn't eligible because I don't have a current PIC rating.

It's maybe a peculiarity of my country that they issue ratings as co- pilot, but they could respect past experience as well, which they obviously don't.

Just in case someone is interested, I' ve got 13500 hours total, 3500 in command, 5 different Airbus and Boeing ratings including the 747.

But I'm not allowed to move a C172 in the USA.

Thank you.

fa2fi
27th Nov 2012, 19:02
Are your licences EASA/JAR? I thought it was just a matter of getting your licence validated by your issuing authority. Do you have a valid SEP rating?

Brix
27th Nov 2012, 19:13
Yes, I have an EASA/JAR license.

The SEP rating used to be included automatically within the ATPL when there were national CAA issued licenses. These days they seem not to be included anymore.

There's always a way to put the blame on the customer.

englishal
27th Nov 2012, 20:02
Why would you expect the FAA to allow you to fly as PIC in their country when it appears you are not allowed to fly one in your country, unless I am mistaken? What country are you from?

fa2fi
27th Nov 2012, 20:28
So, currently could you fly a SEP plane anywhere in JAR land? If not then I find it odd that you have a go at the FAA system but not your own. If I'm mistaken then I do apologise.

S-Works
28th Nov 2012, 07:09
To my knowledge an ATPL national or JAA has never included an SEP ratings embedded in some other class. You have always required a certificate of validation for each class.

The only embedded privilege was on a UK licence fir the IMCr.

So I would suggest that the FAA are quite correct in refusing you.

Believe it or not button pressing an airbus for a million hours is actually a little different from a 172 and needs refreshing from time to time, sky god or not.......:ok:

AN2 Driver
28th Nov 2012, 07:57
Brix,

The SEP rating used to be included automatically within the ATPL when there were national CAA issued licenses. These days they seem not to be included anymore.

If you don't have a SEP Rating in your ATPL, then you can't move a C172 in Europe either. So you need to get that rating again anyhow if you wish to fly SEP in Europe and following that the US will give you the validation too.

JW411
28th Nov 2012, 16:31
I did my FAA ATPL in 1983. My chosen weapon was the DC-10. I was allowed an MEP rating but not an SEP rating since I had not done a test on a single-engined airplane.

Seems quite logical to me.

sherburn2LA
1st Dec 2012, 22:23
isn't there something about Naval Officers and umbrellas that is relevant here

gijoe
2nd Dec 2012, 07:36
Very sensible - my heavy flying friend tried to kill us when we went flying in a C172. He had not flown SEP for years.

Flared about 100' - I let him know he couldn't do it before taking over.

Be careful!

G:ok:

PS He flies heavies...not he is heavy...come to think of it...

Gomrath
2nd Dec 2012, 15:57
The FAA cardboard licenses are running out. So I thought I apply for a renewal based on my foreign ATPL.

Well, you missed that boat.

The FAA paper certificate for airmen expired in March 31 2010 and privileges effective that date.

The date you mention of March 2013 is for non pilot certificates per 14 CFR Part 63 and 65.