PDA

View Full Version : SUPERB RAF COSFORD MUSEUM

aviate1138
27th Nov 2012, 11:12
Spent best part of two days at the Museum and enjoyed every moment. To sit under and near a Vulcan Victor and Valiant within touching distance was very satisfying for me.

I gather they are only getting a VC-10 next year now as the RAF still need some.......

I do hope the RAF top brass do not decide to axe the Museum as has been suggested apparently.

If you haven't visited you should - it's free entry isn't it?

AndoniP
27th Nov 2012, 12:49
it's a fantastic place. their cold war exhibition (if it's still there) is excellent.

my favourite - the TSR-2

Lancelot37
27th Nov 2012, 17:01
A place not to miss. We got a bonus. We stayed in a nearby Premier Inn for two nights and used the pub next door. After the meal we filled in the questionaire on the back of the bill and won £1,000. Must go back next year.

purplehelmet
28th Nov 2012, 09:22
we had a fantastic day out here last summer and plan to return this summer, it would be a great shame if the RAF did have plans to close it, i wonder if this could be down to lack of funding?, as the op states besides a small charge for the carpark it is free,however there are donation boxes around the museum and its well worth at least a tenner of anyones money.

NutLoose
28th Nov 2012, 18:01
i thought closure rumours are the technical training site and not the museum?

teeteringhead
28th Nov 2012, 18:35
i thought closure rumours are the technical training site and not the museum? ... I think you are right NutLoose. Even if/when the main site ceases to be RAF (and almost certainly would then become Army) the RAF would probably keep the airfield site - as you may know they are separated by a public road.

And in any event, the Museum is owned and run by the RAF Museum, not by the RAF per se.

chevvron
28th Nov 2012, 22:17
I thought the thing that ran between the 'camp' and the airfield was a railway line, but then I haven't been there since '68 so it's probably changed.

oldpax
29th Nov 2012, 03:38
Did my squarebashing there!!The railway is still there seperating the airfield from the camp.Why no Shackelton in the "Cold war"exhibition!!

Wycombe
29th Nov 2012, 07:30
If they're going to get a Funbus, I wonder if it'll be flown in :eek:

ViscountFan
2nd Dec 2012, 18:34
Excellent museum. Just a pity that when a friend and I planned a 2 day visit last year, we returned on the second day to find that the Cold War Exhibition had been closed for new lights to be installed. A great pity that they had not advised this the day before, as we'd saved this the best bit for last!

Anyway, a second visit a few weeks later was well worth the 200 mile round trip.

AndoniP
3rd Dec 2012, 13:08
oldpax

I think the Shackleton is outside from what I can remember.

Whiskey Papa
3rd Dec 2012, 16:19
Sadly, no Shackleton at Cosford. There's an MR3 outdoors at Duxford, though.

oldpax
25th Jul 2017, 07:38
Visited on July 24th,museum excellent as usual.Spoke to one of the volunteer guides and apparently the museum is trying to get the MK2 Maritime Shackelton back from Manchester science museum.It actually belongs to Cosford and is only on loan !!However the Manchester museum building has been altered and the shack now has a wall around it and this will have to come down!!

VX275
25th Jul 2017, 12:05
The walls at MOSI haven't changed since the Shack was moved in pieces through the hole that was then glazed. The Shack was reassembled inside the building so the hole doesn't need to be that big to get it in or out.
What has changed since it went inside is the fact that the Highways Agency want to charge for the necessary road closure needed to get it out and the figure I've heard for that is £20 000 a day. With the Science Museum and Manchester council arguing over who is responsible for repairing the roof I rather think the Shack will stay where she is until the fate of MOSI's aviation hall is decided.

KelvinD
25th Jul 2017, 21:31
It has been a couple of years since I last visited and I was wondering if they still have the Argosy sitting outside? I developed an affection for that particular type following and overnight from Aden to Nairobi, then a daylight leg from Nairobi to Blantyre (Chileka) and thence on to Francistown. And all without any bloody seats!

oldpax
26th Jul 2017, 06:55
Argosy is inside.Shame about the Shack though.