PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to OYSN?

Cecco
27th Nov 2012, 08:59
We might do a tech stop there. Any information is appreciated!

Cheers

Cecco

what next
27th Nov 2012, 11:26
Are you aware that there is an official travel warning from the German foreign ministry regarding the Yemen? (Auswärtiges Amt - Reise- und Sicherheitshinweise (http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/DE/Laenderinformationen/00-SiHi/Nodes/JemenSicherheit_node.html))

Most important quote from that link: "Für deutsche Staatsangehörige gilt daher unverändert, dass sie sich nicht in Jemen aufhalten sollten."

Which usually means, that you have no insurance cover or anything when you go there. Check with the insurer of your aircraft!

Cecco
27th Nov 2012, 11:53
Yes, I am aware and Insurance covers Yemen so don´t worry.

So anyone been to OYSN???

500 above
27th Nov 2012, 11:55
We went to OYRN a few years back, then on to Socotra. There was a travel warning then, too. I take it you're not night stopping?

Gulfstreamaviator
27th Nov 2012, 13:19
ILS on one end and very nice GPS on both.
MSA high.

IFR Dep, need to make the 11K back at SAA on IFR dep, no problem in SIM for G450 or G550.

VFR dep no problem.

Night stop is not advised.

ATC acceptable, radar environment.

If you do a sim ride as prep, be advised the software for the step hights might be wrong, but in real world is fine.

Dust storms in the area, and suffers from thundstorms.

PM if needed...Glf

DADDY-OH!
27th Nov 2012, 18:14
I have. Biggest piece of advice I'll give you is SLOOOW DOWN nice & early. IIRC there may be some terrain issues to the South of the Airfield & to the North of the DME Arc for the Southerly runway (18 I think).

Keep an eye out for the little old man selling locally produced honey- it's addictive!! Plenty of 'Interesting' aircraft operate from the West side of the airport but don't even think of letting the authorities see you have a camera!!

Enjoy!