PDA

View Full Version : Pushback Ops

9v-SKA
26th Nov 2012, 13:05
I was observing an aircraft being pushed back yesterday. I was just wondering why is there a need for the rear driver's station on the tug.

Also, mid way through the push, the tug was disconnected, repositioned and then reconnected to pull the aircraft forward. It was still being driven with the rear station during the pull-forward portion.

When the tug is driven from the rear driver's station, can the driver engage the different steering modes?

CEJM
26th Nov 2012, 16:19
Some tugs got two driver positions to make it easier to push and tow an aircraft without having to disconnect and reposition the tug.

When I worked as an Engineer, I also towed aircraft from the apron to the maintenance facility on the other side of the airport. I only used the rear drivers position when I was reversing an aircraft into the hangar. When pushing back an aircraft (before towing) on the main apron I would do this from the forward drivers cab and just look over my shoulder with the cab raised.

On our tugs we could select all the different steering modes from the rear station.

9v-SKA
30th Nov 2012, 04:11
So is it up to the engineer's preference on how he wishes to push the aircraft?

aergid
3rd Dec 2012, 12:55
For Conventional (using PB Tractor and Towbar) Aircraft Maintenance and/or Operational Towing the following procedures can be used:

1) Using a 2 Cabin Conventional PB Tractor the Pushback is carried using the rear secondry cabin connected to the towbar then the Operative switches to the front primary Cabin for the Towing Operation, utilising Cabin lift/lower if required.
2) Using a 1 Cabin Conventional PB Tractor the Pushback is carried out with the rear of the Pushback Tractor connected to the Towbar and reversed out and then towed forward utilising cabin lift/lower if required
3) Using a 1 Cabin Conventional PB Tractor the Pushback is carried out with front of the PB Tractor connected to the towbar and once pushed out the PB is turned around for the Towing.

For most experienced PB Operators option 2 is the favoured. It takes more skill but the time saving and cost saving (requires only 1 R/T system in front cabin) outweighs the other options. Also the fact the PB Tractor is never removed or unmanned during the Towing Operation.

For a Standard Pushback if it includes Towing to a "PDP (Pushback Disconnection Point) or adajacent to departing Stand etc, usually the following procedure is used:

1) Pushback using primary Cabin (front) connected to towbar. Utilise Cabin lift/lower (if fitted) and reverse )while the operator is looking over their shoulder) tow tthe Aircraft to desired position.

Procedures are slightly different for TBL operations but as a rule these PB Tractors have a swivel chair and operators controls so there is no need to change cabins and/or look over your shoulder ;)

Obviously all these options change depending on Airline/Airport/GHA(Ground Handling Agents) procedures and risk assessments.

I hope this all makes sense and answers your query to the full......

PS Leave Pushback & Towing to the experts (GHA's);). Engineers are overpaid spanner & hammer throwers :E