PDA

View Full Version : RAF Coronation Review - Astra Gazette 1952

ricardian
26th Nov 2012, 11:01
How it used to be (http://www.britishpathe.com/video/r-a-f-coronation-review-astra-gazette). There's a short advert for M&S to endure first

Courtney Mil
26th Nov 2012, 11:24
Fascinating. The RAF should have done that again for the Diamond Jubilee.

Motleycallsign
26th Nov 2012, 11:28
Don't think they could CM, where would the present encumbants park their cars at Odiham? The disused 23/05 became an overspill car park.

green granite
26th Nov 2012, 11:40
I seem to remember reading that the incumbent Group Captain was not senior enough for such an event and was quickly transferred to take command of another station (Biggen Hill?) and a very senior G-CPTN parachuted in to take his place.

ICM
26th Nov 2012, 12:07
Masses of aircraft - absolute heaven for a wide-eyed 12-year old, I can tell you. I had an uncle who was stationed at the then Medical Rehabilitation Unit, RAF Chessington, and my family came south from Scotland for a visit to see the post-Coronation sights. This was the personal highlight for me, little knowing I'd be flying in the Silver Jubilee flypast 25 years later.

BEagle
26th Nov 2012, 12:57
"From 40 airfields all over Great Britain and Northern Ireland, some 600 aircraft set course for Odiham........"

And today.....:uhoh:

The chap flying the Swift F4 lost his engine on the way back to Chilbolton, but managed to make a successful dead-stick landing.

Brian 48nav
26th Nov 2012, 13:33
....was the 'junior' OC of Odiham at the time. In his book 'One of The Few' he told how he was moved to Tangmere while the more senior, and therefore 'more deserving' if there was a gong up for grabs, OC Tangmere was parachuted in to Odiham. Suffice to say Kent was pretty p*ssed off and left the service he had loyally served since before WW2, fairly soon after.

ian16th
26th Nov 2012, 21:05
RAF Coronation Review - Astra Gazette 1952

Am I the only one left who was in the service then, and can remember that the Coronation and the Review were both in 1953?

The Coronation was also the 1st time that the T63 best blue was worn. They were individually tailored, but if you wanted to keep yours you had to buy it :sad:

goudie
26th Nov 2012, 21:16
RAF Coronation Review - Astra Gazette 1952

I should imagine the majority of the airmen on parade were National Servicemen, as they were throughout the RAF at the time.
With the amount of aircraft in the RAF during that period, they would have been needed too!

millerscourt
26th Nov 2012, 21:18
Blimey, it took BEagle all of 1hr 56mins to respond in his usual way:D

ian16th
27th Nov 2012, 08:21
I should imagine the majority of the airmen on parade were National ServicemenEvery UK unit was supposed to be represented!

I know that Boy Entrants and Apprentices did route lining at the Coronation and were at the Review.

I should have been one of the Boy's from Yatesbury. We did he extra drill in the evenings after our normal day! We were measured for our T63's then I got 'flu, went into SSQ and when I came out everyone else had gone to Cardington.

So I missed it all.:{