PDA

View Full Version : "Airport noise? Stop your whingeing"

Bonniciwah
26th Nov 2012, 00:29
Nice to see some common sense writing in a daily press about the opposition to Melbourne Airport's third runway

Airport noise | Sydney, Melbourne | Flight paths and expansion (http://www.theage.com.au/travel/blogs/travellers-check/airport-noise-stop-your-whingeing-20121126-2a1zc.html)

Oktas8
26th Nov 2012, 01:09
It's happened in every place since the Wright brothers.

- Build an airport;
- Govt caves in to vocal developers, selling residential land around it but with "noise insulation";
- Wait thirty years or so;
- Noise complaints increase;
- Restrict airport business.

A very few airports restricted the building of houses altogether, breaking the chain. They have fewer problems down the track.

SgtBundy
26th Nov 2012, 10:18
Replace "Govt caves in to vocal developers" with "Govt takes its cut of selling out to developers" and you probably are closer to the truth. Why else have they not moved on Badgerys Creek or any other alternative in Sydney for so long - handing out all the land to their developer mates until it gets to the point they actually can't put in the infrastructure the taxpayers and economy need. Just take a look at this Obeid investigation and its fairly plain how the system actually works. Stuff what is actually needed, what gives them the biggest cut seems to drive NSW.

The courts don't help much either - they upheld complaints for people who moved into terrace houses next to a 100 year old brewery and then complained that there were trucks making deliveries at night. Its not like they can say their circumstances changed after they moved in - you buy next to a factory, what do you expect.

Stikman
27th Nov 2012, 19:00
Then there's this (http://www.planecrashzone.com/index.html), although this is about YMMB..
I emailed the gent, pointing out some of the flaws in his arguments....and got an interesting response..

RatsoreA
27th Nov 2012, 22:19
Then there's this, although this is about YMMB..
I emailed the gent, pointing out some of the flaws in his arguments....and got an interesting response..

Oh. My. God.

I have met some complete tools in my time... but that guy?!

Stikman
28th Nov 2012, 06:16
My favourite is his assertion that student pilots are allowed to fly solo with only a "couple of hours" of instrument training. He had nothing to say about my explaining the difference between VFR and IFR..

SgtBundy
28th Nov 2012, 09:54
Let see - airport built in 1949. Whiners congregate into group in 1998 to complain about living near an airport and demand the airport move. Makes sense.

I particularly like their call to ban multi-seat aircraft. Would a congregation of single seat RR Merlin powered aircraft be more to their liking?

Animalclub
28th Nov 2012, 22:55
Reminds me of the time when a guy was succesful in restricting flights into Midway at Chicago. He soon discovered that the economy of the local area suffered so badly... so the same guy started a petition to get the airlines back into Midway!!

propblast
29th Nov 2012, 01:03
Would a congregation of single seat RR Merlin powered aircraft be more to their liking?

Ooooooooh, yes please. I'll live next to that.

Stikman, any chance of posting your letter and the reply??

criticalmass
29th Nov 2012, 10:53
Wollongong airport is "blessed" with a few dedicated professional noise-complainants. Below is the text of an email sent to one of our commercial operators. I have deleted the sender and destination details to protect the persons involved. This is a new protester, previously unknown:-

Quote:-

Do we have to put up with the incessant drone of your planes for hours on end? Roughly for over 5 hours today.

Talk about selfish behavior! Making money out of unconvincing others.

Your ethics are certainly on display with this elitist activity.

Exactly what benefit do the local residents obtain from your commercial activity?

Not a bloody thing!

If you must carry on this activity go our over the sea and play your childish games and leave us in peace.

The movement to get your planes out of the area is only just beginning and I have been overwhelmed by local support to partition the council to extricate your business from the district.

Watch this space.

Unquote:-

Unbelievable as it may seem, the sender put his full details to this venomous and vituperative effort. Not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer, I'm beginning to suspect. Good to know the names and addresses of our enemies.

172driver
29th Nov 2012, 12:31
Unfortunately the airlines aren't dealing with these whiners in the only appropriate way: collect their names, put them on a blacklist and deny them access to any form of air transport. My guess is that that'll solve the issue PDQ if implemented industry-wide..

TWT
29th Nov 2012, 12:48
Not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer

Indeed.I wonder if the council would be interested in knowing that someone is intending to partition them ?

MakeItHappenCaptain
29th Nov 2012, 16:39
I once had a complaint lodged through CASA about a EFATO done on a very convenient golf course fairway on upwind. The complaint included the "fact that several members were forced to instinctively duck due to the proximity overhead of VH-ABC".

Surely if I was that low, they could have read my rego as VH-XYZ?:rolleyes:

Also included was the request that we gain more altitude before passing over said golf course.
I offered to split the proceeds of their world shattering suggestion if they could tell me exactly how to achieve this...:}

Bit like Mr Moorabbin's allegation that we are using a "loophole" that allows us to takeoff and land over a public gathering, rather than utilising the secret VTOL ability that all aircraft are designed with...:ugh:

Dashtrash
29th Nov 2012, 19:21
I've been looking at this guys website in utter astonishment. These people are out there....in the community...lurking. Maybe all approaches should be mandatory glide approaches and the pilots could promise to only crash in designated areas.
The list of shameful and negligent accidents (all intentional, just to **** up his quite afternoon) was a long list. How about compiling a list of car accidents over the same pereod for comparison. I'm sure this plonker own one of those four wheeled rollin' death machines. While we're t it how about a list of people struck by lightning too. Weather is a menace to quiet suburban life and shoul be restricted to rural areas.
Furthermore, only experienced pilots should be allowed to learn to fly.
Rant over.....be on the lookout...these people are out there somewhere.

Wally Mk2
29th Nov 2012, 20:17
The only way to appease these poor sad souls whom live in a world where "it's all about me" is their prime reason to be here is to cut a wide path thru the burbs to the App of each RWY so the noise is reduced & so that planes can crash much easier without the high risk of crashing to the inconvenience of others!:ugh:

I wonder if those whom live in the direct path of each RWY would be willing to give up their home for the good of the few fools that live amongst them.

Petition those inconsiderate home owners who get in the way of a good crash sequence!
How sad that auto accidents (which kill/Mame daily) barely get the headline spot on a nightly news bulletin yet ANYTHING to do with aviation is immediate fodder for the ignorant out there!!
I go to the beach to enjoy the amenity it affords & have to put up with the idiot jet ski morons out there so I simply put up with it, if I don't like it I go elsewhere.

I actually enjoyed reading the website with it's detailed info & links that might be helpful some other time.
I enjoyed the Ref to John Brumby where he commented on MB etc in the fools (Airport noise complainants) fav & then most likely came up to EN (also an airport surrounded by homes)to board a flight (where I was the driver) to go touring regional Vic to kiss babies & tell lies!!!:-)
Gotta also luv the article saying restrict flying training to Mon-Frid 8am-6pm, couldn't agree more as long as that extends to ALL flying operations so I can be in my ow bed every night & have every W/E pubic day off!:E
I'll bet that if one of those residents whom complain had a child who wanted to learn to fly that they wouldn't be too keen to take them to a far out of the way country drome to do their training !

Still we now live in a terribly selfish society where mankind is at each others throats constantly!

Wmk2 (whom actually by choice lives under a very busy inbound route to ML)

chainsaw
29th Nov 2012, 20:25
Dashtrash said:

I've been looking at this guys website in utter astonishment.

I looked at it too.

All I can say is that whoever wrote the idiotic nonsense published on that website has elevated the definition of 'crazy' to an exciting new level. :eek:

QSK?
29th Nov 2012, 20:50
I'd like to add a post to this thread but I need to use the strikethrough font. Does anyone know how to do this on PPrune?

gobbledock
29th Nov 2012, 21:39
What a clown. The below article proves what a bunch of Nimrods we have in Government.

Cookies must be enabled | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/federal-minister-stuck-in-traffic-trying-to-get-to-congestion-speech/story-fndo48ca-1226515816123)

http://images.smh.com.au/2011/08/01/2530298/ipad-art-wide-pg4-scanner-420x0.jpg

Here is an option that the Government may want to consider, it may give them the necessary funds to build, relocate or facilitate the needed changes:

No more bail out money to be given to Greece. So far $5 billion taxpayer dollars has been handed to the IMF to help bail out Greeces situation, of which I might add WE DIDN'T CONTRIBUTE TO. And no more giving several $ billion dollars in aid money per year to Indonesia. It is a sham that we give our taxpayer money to countries notorious for corruption and tax dodging.
No more Government in-house fighting and time wasting on crap like arguing over slush funds and postulating over complete rubbish. Get on with the jobs you were elected to do you idiots nad start spending, fixing and shoring up our future in our own backyard.
No more tweeting in the back of Limo's, no more blaming everybody else (including the airports and buinesses) for the current mess. Pull your fingers out and fix the problems. Grab a consortium, pool in the money and actually action something rather than spend millions on white papers and other non-essential crap. Don't talk about it, just do it!

Wunwing
29th Nov 2012, 23:31
gobbled
Unfortunately you are working from a false premise. The pollies (with the exception of a few independents) are not there for our benefit. They are only interested in being re-elected, hopefully in Government to ultimately acheive a rich retirement in either/and super and board directorships.

If it were not so they actually would get on with running the country. It seems that we are doomed to be represented by incompetents.
Wunwing

Anthill
30th Nov 2012, 03:47
I used to live in Bundeena to the South of Sydney. Aircraft either arriving or departin Sydney used to fly right over the top of the suburb. The new airspace segregation meant that aircraft were now processed by STAR for 34L or SID from 16R were taken out over the ocean a few miles off the coast.

The anti airport lobby letterboxed us with a flyer giving a complaints telephone number and telling us the we "must call this number ever time we see an aircraft polluting our pristine shore line". I called the contact number of the lobby group and told them that my family and I were actually more than happy with the new traffic flow as it in fact meant far less aircraft noise for Bundeena and any other suburb south of Sydney.

The guy on the other end of the line went off the dial! One thing I learned was they is no reasoning with these idiots. They exist in a parrallel reality where logic and rational thought have been replaced by concrete-headedness. Put it this way: he even mentioned whales.

18-Wheeler
30th Nov 2012, 08:10
Put it this way: he even mentioned whales.

747's or A380's?

:)

I never get a reply when I ask them, why since the airport has been there decades before they have, how can they move in close then complain about the noise.
Hypocrite much?

denabol
30th Nov 2012, 09:32
Another suggestion as to what is going on with the ireport curfew stories from Ben's blog. He might be onto something.

Vested interest media alert. Why the agitation to drop the Sydney Airport curfew may not be everything it seems, and not very good for air travel either.

Sydney Airport curfew campaign could hold city back | Plane Talking (http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalking/2012/11/30/sydney-airport-curfew-campaign-could-hold-city-back/)

Stikman
30th Nov 2012, 19:09
Hrmph....quote didn't work..
Propblast -
I'll have to go through my emails to find it, but I'll see what I can do.
For now, though, I'm off to repeatedly fly over his house in my J-160 :}