PDA

View Full Version : Jetstreams in southern hemisphere

Breakthesilence
25th Nov 2012, 19:39
Hi guys,

I have a question about Jetstreams in southern hemisphere.

We know that cyclone and anti-cyclone rotation, coriolis force etc. work in the opposite direction compared to the northern hemisphere; so why the jetstreams are westerly in both the hemispheres?

thank you

BTS

BOAC
25th Nov 2012, 20:42
Simply because the 'coriolis force' reverses. If you sketch a cross-section of the 'polar fronts' (north and south hemisphere) and assuming you understand how a jet stream forms, you will see that the outflow of air from the 'tropical' airmass into the 'polar' will be deflected by the 'coriolis force'. If it did not reverse the jet streams would be easterly 'down under'.- QED?

Breakthesilence
25th Nov 2012, 21:02
I just got the answer a minut ago while thinking about what you later said.

I made a reversion of the reversion ;)

thanks!

BOAC
25th Nov 2012, 21:32
I made a reversion of the reversion- I'm not sure that is legal, even between consenting adults.........................

Loose rivets
26th Nov 2012, 03:21
Baldrick didn't build your dirty flightdeck did he? But how else would you hop about in time?

N1 Limit
26th Nov 2012, 09:48
It all boils back to the Buy's Ballot therory:If you stand with your back to the wind in the southern hemisphere the cold air is to your right.During winter in the southern hemisphere in june-july,the warm air from the equator(hadley cells) rise and meet up the colder air from the southern hemisphere and this mixture of hot and cold air creates the jetstream effect we see at 20 degrees south

BOAC
26th Nov 2012, 09:52
Buy's Ballot theory (UK) - if you stand with your back to the wind on the east coast the North Sea is on your left.

haughtney1
26th Nov 2012, 10:24
Quote:
Buy's Ballot theory (UK)

If you can see the hills..it's going to rain..
If you can't see the hills it is raining..
If the water is rising..it's still raining..
If you stand with your back to the wind....it will get wet first...

barit1
26th Nov 2012, 16:06
OK, now I understand that a hurricane (or other cyclonic phenom) originating in the Northern hemisphere cannot cross the equator.

But that cannot account for the fact that we here up North seem to never hear of hurricanes in Southern latitudes. Well, maybe the odd waterspout on the coast of Oz, ...

But might not the East coasts of Africa, SA, OZ etc. get hit with something like good ol' Uhmurruhcan hurricanes? Or are we the only ones so blessed? :eek:

Tinstaafl
27th Nov 2012, 00:56
That's because they're called 'cyclones' in Oz. Whether they're called cyclones, hurricanes or typhoons, they're all Tropical Revolving Storms.

roulishollandais
27th Nov 2012, 10:24
@BOAC
I counterfact your nice answer :
I'm not sure that is legal, even between consenting adults.........................
@Breakthesilence
Are you asking if the sun rises on the West side in the southern hemisphere ?!!! :E
Buys-Ballot and Coriolis are the result of earth rotation ! :O
Please come back to reality, with the both feet in different shoes, look at the sky stars rotating during the night, an sun during the day. :)

roulishollandais