PDA

View Full Version : Log Books, Bookbinding and the elusive Mr Bond

ABL262
25th Nov 2012, 19:09
I have been trying for a couple of months now to contact Mr Bond in Stoke-sub-Hamdon to get my 414 log books bound and to have new pages added as I am running out. He does not answer his phone and I have even visited his premises a couple of times when I've been in Yeovil, but no sign of the guy. Has anybody had any contact with him very recently, ie past several weeks? If so, can you please pass on the secret of your success! I have been persistent because everybody raves about the quality of his work, but there are limits!

In the meantime, has anybody out there got an unused 414 log book (rev 4/00 or later) that I can buy. All help gratefully received.

Milo Minderbinder
25th Nov 2012, 21:37
which phone number are you ringing? he has two listed
0843 262 7788
01935 827762

If all else fails you could ask his landlord - Prince Charles
Those workshops are part of the Duchy of Cornwall estates

its worth taking on board the comments in this previous thread
http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/303028-logbook-binding-help.html

ABL262
25th Nov 2012, 23:53
Thanks for your response Milo. I have the 01935 number. I'll try the other.

Tankertrashnav
26th Nov 2012, 21:19
ABL - I have an unused 414 logbook, (revised 4/00). Contact me by PM if you havent already got sorted out.

TTN

Craven Moorhed
27th Nov 2012, 13:46
I've just had my 3 bound together by a lady nr Guildford, £60.

Give her a bell if you wish as I gave up on Mr B after he had mine for 6 months and did nowt with them.....

PM me for her number (not sure if she wants her home phone number on here)

ABL262
22nd May 2013, 23:44
Just wanted to update the group regarding Mr Bond, the log book binder. I finally managed to track down Mr Bond at his workshops in Stoke sub Hamdon (he works nights) and dropped in my log books for binding. I collected them this evening and I have to say the end result is superb ... real heirloom quality stuff. Apart from the difficulty in tracking him down initially, I cannot praise the standard of his work enough. Reasonable lead-time (8 weeks) and prices. I have found that he is most responsive to e-mails - his e-mail address is [email protected]. I hope this is helpful.

Regards all,

ABL262

Minstral
7th Jun 2013, 19:25
8 weeks is reasonably quick! After posting Mr Bond my logbook it took 4 months to get it back. The quality is outstanding, but patience is certainly required :ok:

Ethiopia
29th Jul 2013, 18:08
You may want to try these guys (http://www.logbookbinding.com). Relatively new in the market, but pretty fast service..

Good luck!

GipsyMagpie
7th Oct 2013, 16:26
Mr Bond has my logbook and some others from friends and is not responding to email or phone and has not been there when I have dropped by. If anyone has spoken to him recently please let me know.

If anyone has chance to go via his workshop please get in touch via PM and I will give you details of logbooks to retrieve (with suitable reward given).

G W

P6 Driver
7th Oct 2013, 17:05
Reading the mixture of comments about this chap, I'm amazed that anyone would actually trust him with unique items such as flying log books with such apparently poor communication on offer.

Has anyone had bad experiences with him such as not receiving their log books back at all?

GipsyMagpie
11th Oct 2013, 12:24
He is alive and I have my logbook back but unfortunately in 6 months he has managed to detach the old covers and that's it. Sorry but I would avoid if you value your logbook. Now I just need someone to stick it back together!

Oldsarbouy
11th Oct 2013, 15:26
I had my log books rebound by the library department at Aberdeen University some time ago and was really impressed by the result. There was a choice of cover colours including a good match for the RAF log books and gold lettering to match the original font. My only mistake was in having my five log books bound as one which has resulted in a fairly heavyweight tome!

L J R
12th Oct 2013, 01:42
I too went to Aberdeen Uni library/book-shop for my Logbook Binding quite some time ago. I separated all the pertinent parts of each log-book myself and they followed strict instructions to bind all the part1 together, part two next etc....result was really quite good. ISTR it was not too expensive either, and took about 3-4 weeks

AllTrimDoubt
13th Oct 2013, 11:39
I've used this guy frequently. First class personal service and I'm sure he will cope with Service requirements

www.djbookbinders.co.uk/

gerry smith
22nd Oct 2013, 10:42
BOOTS, chemist, St. Andrews, Scotland, 1952.

Sloppy Link
6th Mar 2015, 20:52
Three months, no contact to any messages by telephone or by e-mail, resorted to ringing the the print shop four units down who end up having to deal with the fallout of the mans administrative ineptitude. My logbooks haven't been touched in the time he has had them, they are now waiting in the office of the print shop for me to collect, I'm off to Swanage to DJ Bookbinders. The real shame is his level of skill as seen in my last logbook binding is exemplary but this period of time without a logbook as a pilot in current flying practice is simply not acceptable. Avoid if you wish to retain your sanity.

RNHF_PILOT
7th Mar 2015, 19:48
To be fair I believe Mr Bond has been very ill lately and has spent some time in hospital. As has been previously stated he is difficult to reach by modern communications methods. You really need to be in a position to stop by his workshop fairly regularly to keep reminding him about doing your logbook. Unless you're based at Yeovilton or driving on that stretch of the A303 fairly regularly then I would forget it. When he does turn his hand to it, he does a really good job.

Sloppy Link
8th Mar 2015, 18:28
I was aware of his illness and also his house move, regardless, it was the lack of return messages that drove me to take the action I did. I would always recommend his work but as you say, either endless patience or on his doorstep weekly which, as a three hour round trip is simply impractical for me.

Lima Juliet
8th Mar 2015, 19:48
I used Cambinders and can vouch for the job they did for me. :ok:

LJ