PDA

View Full Version : Cruise v Puma

Could be the last?
25th Nov 2012, 15:10
Now that's an arrival..........Wonder if they would allow them to use Trafalgar Square for the MoM drop off?

Tom Cruise dons a military uniform as he touches down in Trafalgar Square in an RAF helicopter | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2238122/Tom-Cruise-dons-military-uniform-touches-Trafalgar-Square-RAF-helicopter.html)

November4
25th Nov 2012, 15:18
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/11/25/article-0-16342CEE000005DC-366_634x423.jpg

Daring: Tom looked as though he was preparing to jump out of the helicopter as it hovered above central London

Or was it the crewman about to "jump out"

Milo Minderbinder
25th Nov 2012, 15:37
So......the RAF didn't have any aircraft spare for the Olympics opening event , resulting in Westlands having to stand in......but they can provide a Puma from an overworked knackered out fleet for a Hollywood film.

Someone needs to get priorities sorted, or are they hoping Tom Cruise can pay for the (yet again delayed) upgrade?
Question
Just how many of the Pumas have been taken out of service pending the upgrade - which is now going to take at least another year? I seem to remember reading almost a year ago that they had all been shipped out to Romania already....

seadrills
25th Nov 2012, 16:12
AW didn't "stand-in". They were always going to fly that sortie.

engineer(retard)
25th Nov 2012, 16:48
MM

This seems to address some of your questions:

Eurocopter Delivers First Puma Mk2 to UK Mod | Aviation & Air Force News at DefenceTalk (http://www.defencetalk.com/eurocopter-delivers-first-puma-mk2-to-uk-mod-44554/)

What did Westlands stand in with, was it just the confetti drop?

Milo Minderbinder
25th Nov 2012, 16:56
The "James Bond" filming, and Her Maj's parachute drop, plus the Tower Bridge fly-through

engineer(retard)
25th Nov 2012, 17:02
and that would have been a good use of RAF helicopters?

Milo Minderbinder
25th Nov 2012, 18:11
not really, but considering it was supposed to be a national priority, and considering how many other military assets were used for those games.....

you can hardly call a Tom Cruise film a "national priority" can you?
my point isn't that they didn't provide for the Olympics, but they ARE providing for this film. In my view they shouldn't be

500N
25th Nov 2012, 18:25
Milo

It would still considered a training flight.

Whether they drop someone off in the middle of a field
or Trafalgar Square, they would still do the training
except this is probably paid for by the Film company.

And it makes it interesting for all involved plus gives
great PR.

Do you think the US Navy didn't make the most of
the film Top Gun for recruiting ? Potential recruits
get interested in the armed forces by many different
means and this could well be one of them.

Fareastdriver
25th Nov 2012, 18:46
What are those awful things stuck out of the front of the engines.

Boy_From_Brazil
25th Nov 2012, 18:52
They are known as pilots........

xenolith
25th Nov 2012, 19:08
So......the RAF didn't have any aircraft spare for the Olympics opening event

As I recall the Puma had a well publicized role as part of the military support for the olympic games.

But don't let the facts get in the way of a good 'crab bash', you carry on.

chinook240
25th Nov 2012, 20:09
Ministry of Defence | Defence News | Military Operations | RAF Pumas arrive in Ilford for Olympics role (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/MilitaryOperations/RafPumasArriveInIlfordForOlympicsRole.htm)

Just This Once...
25th Nov 2012, 20:32
I wonder what is at the other end of this wire…

http://www.morethanthegames.co.uk/files/morethanthegames/towerbridgelondon2012torchbearer.jpg

TheWizard
25th Nov 2012, 20:34
The ground?

Just This Once...
25th Nov 2012, 20:34
Ah yes…

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/multimedia/archive/00318/110006440_Torch_03_318157c.jpg

PR is good. Something different for training and something for those who pay for us all.

Agree that this thread sounds like 'crab bashing'.

llamaman
25th Nov 2012, 20:36
I for one would like to applaud the old girl in action and seizing such a great PR opportunity. The Olympics was supported to the best of the ability of all three services, both in the public eye and behind the scenes. Likewise, the decision to support these high profile one-off events is not taken lightly. It's a shame that this forum is seen by many as an opportunity only to bitch and snipe with anonymity.

Rigga
25th Nov 2012, 21:41
Well it was obviously done through official channels and probably someone thought about the disruption to everyone invloved in getting the aircraft, trucks, rovers and people to their alloted places at the right times...and possibly thought of a price for it...and possibly thought about getting paid for it too?

Odigron
26th Nov 2012, 07:37
MM,

You cannot be serious!

You've either not thought this through (Sunday lunch at the pub?) or your grip on reality needs adjusting.

Tiger16
26th Nov 2012, 09:35
Crew recce-ing the location of the Puma re-union? If so - good skills!

dead_pan
26th Nov 2012, 10:40
I'm sure the boys from Benson weren't too busy first thing on a Sunday morning - it must have made a nice change from giving spotty cadets joy-rides.

Tiger16
26th Nov 2012, 15:50
Indeed...
Still, it seems only appropriate for Mr Cruise to arrive by Puma - from the most charismatic fighter (F-14) to the most charismatic helicopter!

Faithless
26th Nov 2012, 20:26
from the most charismatic fighter (F-14) to the most charismatic helicopter!

:yuk::yuk::=

Hueymeister
26th Nov 2012, 20:34
Who'd da driver?

Dan Gerous
26th Nov 2012, 20:54
Hang on till I put my anorak on. :8 Is that one of the "new" Puma's, I haven't seen that white aerial on a Puma before. Whats the badge on the bottom right of the door?

dead_pan
26th Nov 2012, 20:55
Who'd da driver

He'll be the one with the freshly minted Equity card.

Major bragging rights, for sure.

maxaoa
27th Nov 2012, 04:57
Nice to see the old girl still p!ss!ng hydraulic fluid down the side.

jayteeto
27th Nov 2012, 08:05
The Army does loads of Top Gear stuff, Navy is excellent at PR. they are good at saying they are short of assets. When the RAF do it, pprune whingers come out of the closet. I imagine it was paid for, even if it wasnt..... Worth more in PR/recruiting than a TV ad campaign!
Get back under your stones....

teeteringhead
27th Nov 2012, 08:38
And of course Tom Cruise is one of the few actors - Jimmy Crankie and Warwick Davis also come to mind - who can actually stand upright in a Puma! ;)

Avionker
27th Nov 2012, 09:20

Fareastdriver

In Eurocopter parlance they are MPIs (Multi Purpose Intakes). They provide both particle/sand filtration and icing protection.

oldbeefer
27th Nov 2012, 14:03
I assume the nosewheel extended fully before touchdown?:E

P6 Driver
27th Nov 2012, 18:30
And of course Tom Cruise is one of the few actors - Jimmy Crankie and Warwick
Davis also come to mind - who can actually stand upright in a Puma!

And possibly jump up and down in the doorway without undue risk.

teeteringhead
27th Nov 2012, 19:46
And possibly jump up and down in the doorway without undue risk. ... but then I can think of one or two Puma pilots who'd qualify too .... ;)

Flag Track
28th Nov 2012, 05:20
Apologies for thread drift but I thought the RAF MPAI/PIPs were fitted with 'Bin lids'over the modules, any performance reason why they were taken orf. Is there any performance effect?

Many thanks, Flag T.

Nantucket Sleighride
30th Nov 2012, 19:31
Been out playing at The Oval today. WARNING : article contains a Daily Mail gaffe, do not read if easily outraged by basic recognition fails by journos
Tom Cruise switches helicopters at The Oval | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-2241151/Tom-Cruise-switches-helicopters-The-Oval.html)

ShyTorque
3rd Dec 2012, 19:25
Apologies for thread drift but I thought the RAF MPAI/PIPs were fitted with 'Bin lids'over the modules, any performance reason why they were taken orf. Is there any performance effect?
Many thanks, Flag T.

IIRC, over and above an open engine intake, as per original HC1, I think PIPS put another 6% onto fuel consumption closed, (bullets forward or bin lids fitted) and 2% if PIPS fitted but left open (bullets back).

RVDT
4th Dec 2012, 10:41
Brings a whole new meaning to the term "vertically challenged" :D

PeregrineW
4th Dec 2012, 13:38

Thank you for a first class coffee/keyboard interface experience! :)

Old Age Pilot
4th Dec 2012, 14:10

:D Hahahaha

MartinCh
4th Dec 2012, 14:59
RVDT, haha. Yeah, he sure damn looks taller, swoopin' in on people from above. I would probably take smaller heli in, to make him look larger, though.