PDA

View Full Version : Early 1980s Tornado GR1 recruiting film.

Al R
25th Nov 2012, 11:17
I enjoyed this; a very pleasant waste of 30 minutes next to the log burner.

RAF Tornado GR1 - Recruitment Video - IX Squadron Training Flight - YouTube

Its of a time that I remember when I joined up, one that now ages me and one that says a cassette tape with mission data really was space age! Its all very low key too.. a bit hammy and very understated, and that adds to the tension. Apologies if it has been posted before, I'm sure there are a few names and faces that get recognised.

howiehowie93
25th Nov 2012, 11:57
Up the Bats !!

I think I recognise a few people on that.

Not a Bruggen HAS though, Honington maybe ?

regards & thanks for the posting

Howie ex-IX(B) twice !!!

Kitbag
25th Nov 2012, 18:52
Definitely Honington, and very early in the aircraft's career.
Can it still perform well against competent defence systems?

Kerosene Kraut
25th Nov 2012, 18:54
The music tops top gun's for sure.

25th Nov 2012, 21:20
A couple of serious comb overs in that!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
25th Nov 2012, 22:03
Doug Moule became an instructor at Valley after that, and taught my course. We'd seen the film meninge times. One day the instructors must have been out of milk, because Doug came into the student crewroom with a coffee. Our course comedian counted up the studes, looked at Doug holding his coffee in front of him and said
"Right Doug, another 7 of those please" (07:00)

Cost him a week's duty student, but it was hilarious.

Hueymeister
25th Nov 2012, 22:44
Flew with Pete Gooding at 5 AEF. Really nice gent!

Speed Twelve
26th Nov 2012, 00:25
Modern new-fangled recruitment material.... The CIOs even used to use VHS video to show it. What about the 12 Sqn Banana film, shown using a projector? Bahhhhhh!

Peter Gooding hasn't changed much; he still looks the same!

BBadanov
26th Nov 2012, 00:40
Just gotta love the GLO with his dog!!!

...and "Carrots" was one of the pilots in the briefing (but not senior enough for a combover!!).

Dan Winterland
26th Nov 2012, 01:36
Dogs were standard issue for GLOs - along with Barbour jackets.

Mandator
26th Nov 2012, 07:13
Who was the Staish? I seem to recognise him .............

BEagle
26th Nov 2012, 08:30
Good COI film from the glory days!

No deserts.....and no $odding cabbage kit. Rare footage of VC10K2 'D' aka 'The Dog' actually airborne for a change. Although it morphed into 'C' at one point - I guess it had to go home TU again?

I see BC was the 'aerial co-ordinator'. Never saw him as a luvvy before....:\

Last saw 'Carrots' at rather a good party at Ely OM at around that time. As a WIWOL, he wasn't overly impressed with the mighty Fin. Not that I spoke with him for long though as it was a pleasingly target-rich environment with a whole crowd of rampant Paraffins rapidly losing any pretence of inhibitions....:E

Training Risky
26th Nov 2012, 09:08
Paraffins? (I'm betting nurses or WAAFs?)

BBadanov
26th Nov 2012, 09:13
Who was the Staish? I seem to recognise him .............
Peter Harding

As a WIWOL, he wasn't overly impressed with the mighty Fin. Not that I spoke with him for long though as it was a pleasingly target-rich environment with a whole crowd of rampant Paraffins rapidly losing any pretence of inhibitions...
Maybe coz he had to fly with a nav?? Now sniffing around a target-rich environment, nah, that wouldn't be 'Carrots' :*

Al Murdoch
26th Nov 2012, 12:55
Would the Tornado really have done so well against the Mig-28? :}

Tigger_Too
26th Nov 2012, 14:56
Paraffins? (I'm betting nurses or WAAFs?)

Princess Mary's Royal Air Force Nursing Sevice - PMRAFNS - close enough to Paraffins after a few beers!:ok:

Al R
26th Nov 2012, 16:01
I met my Paraffin in 1985 (she gets on my wick, but hey ;)).

just another jocky
26th Nov 2012, 17:25
My paraffin ran out a few years ago. :}

RedhillPhil
26th Nov 2012, 17:36
Does the owner of that comb-over at 1:38 really know how ridiculous it looks?

1.3VStall
26th Nov 2012, 18:32
That's Peter Gooding. When he was dined out from the squadron one of his presents was a bald-man's grooming kit! (Absolute gentleman though).

The GLO's dog was Jasper, aka "Airdog @rsehole"

99 Change Hands
26th Nov 2012, 19:20
Good to see Phil Price in action again. Reminded me of a tale I was told.

PP as a Sqn Ldr student on TWCU, sitting in the crewroom reading Flight. In walks an instructor, Flt Lt I*** McN*****, sees PP, turns on his heel, into planning room, returns with very heavy copy of Release to Service and drops it on the table in front of PP.

IM: When you know the contents of that (RtoS), you can read that (Flight)!

PP: Speed limit, 45 manoeuvre, 3-tank fit, pre-mod APU?

IM: I don't know.

PP: Well then, when you know the contents of that you can f***ing well tell me to know the contents of that!

sisemen
26th Nov 2012, 23:26
Peter Harding was a well known 'media tart'! He also had a starring role in the Buccaneer film when he was OC 12.

1.3VStall
27th Nov 2012, 19:57
Ah yes, Phil Price.

He is the front seat occupant of the two "boiled eggs" that strap into the lead Tornado in the film. The Nav is N**e N*****s - the second boiled egg!

Al R
30th Nov 2012, 07:40
This features lots of well produced archive footage from the early days of the project, including initial development, the first flight, early TTTE days, GR1/ADV introduction and Granby.

Panavia Tornado (1995 Documentary) - YouTube