PDA

View Full Version : Performance - Amphibious Cessna 185

EBCAU
25th Nov 2012, 06:06
I noticed on a recent thread concerning float planes that there is some knowledge out there regarding the operation of float equipped Cessna 185's. I have no experience in this field but here's the deal:

Shortly I will have access to the use of one. It is equipped with EDO 3500 floats. The opportunity will be there to operate it into a remote lake area but weather conditions could be extreme whilst there. My concern will be leaving it on a relatively exposed beach when there are airstrips about 1 hours walk away. My thought, for peace of mind, would be land on the lake, unload pax and gear, fly empty aircraft to airstrip and secure it. The reverse for departure.

My questions are, what is the relative strip performance of an empty C185 compared to a wheeled example, and how will it handle a moderately rough, but not undulating, strip?
Any other advice willingly listened to.
Thanks.

iPahlot
26th Nov 2012, 19:31
I haven't got any experience on 185's on amphibs and I can't think of any commercial operators that operate them.

Amphibians are not insured to overnight on water, so unless you can find a good place to beach or ramp it you probably will need to go with option 'B' and fly it to the strip. Personally I'd be doing that anyway.

Also, if that lake is up north then I'd rather prep a plane on a strip and not worry about one of those pesky mud geckos sneaking up on me :E

Amphibs won't take the same load as a straight float and if the lake is hot and high and glasses out you might find you will have your work cut out for you getting her on the step, let alone airborne.

goin'flyin
26th Nov 2012, 23:15
Performance & Amphibious & Cessna 185 = surely not all in one sentence. :oh:

Ejector
26th Nov 2012, 23:42
Anphibs are not good on anything but a good strip. They have little wheels poking out on tooth picks. Even on the best sealed strips they are prone to nose wheel shimmy.

EBCAU
27th Nov 2012, 05:07
Thanks for your input so far.
We won't need to worry about mud geckos' carrying me away, but sandflies, now there's a worry!
No worries about hot and high either as the region is low and cold. It won't be commercial ops either. I'm just trying to be a partly informed sceptic rather than an ignorant naysayer in this exercise.

Goin'flyin,
You seem to have some knowledge so what performance can I expect getting off a strip, pilot only and, say, half fuel? Rough ballpark; 30%, 50%, of conventional performance? I know the strip handles mauw C185 ops.
What cruise speed can I expect?
Is a 300 hp 185 any less of a performer than a C206?

Ejector,
I'm told the 3500 floats are the heavy ones with more robust undercarriage. True?
Good info about the shimmy. My concern about the ability to handle less than tarmac is what prompted my questions. I was hoping that infrequent light weight ops might allow relativley short landings and takeoffs without knocking things around too much.

Keep the info coming if you have more. I don't mind negative stuff. I just want to learn what I can from those with the knowledge.

poonpossum
27th Nov 2012, 10:45
There is a guy at Williamstown, VIC running a 185 on floats, so you could get onto him.

Also I have seen the 206 amphib which does scenic flights out of Geeling parked up at barwon heads, which means it lands on grass ok.

werbil
3rd Dec 2012, 12:00
Amphib plus grass plus shimmy usually don't belong in the one sentence.

Before YSHR was sealed, amphib Beavers and Caravans coped with mud, rocks and grass for years. Don't have the problems with brakes now that the strip has been sealed.

Amphibs do run higher tyre pressures so soft is not particularly good.

EBCAU
4th Dec 2012, 00:52
Thanks Werbil,
Do you think that given that the on-land takeoffs and landings will be at light weight would it be feasible that the nose wheels would be unloaded after a fairly short run and therefore shimmy would be minimised? I can understand a shimmy at the speeds and lengths required for getting a full load on and off. On take off can the control column be held back and the nosewheels therefore off the ground smartly?
I have no experience in this field so forgive my basic ignorance.

Aussie Bob
4th Dec 2012, 19:54
EB, I don't think you will have any problem with shimmy on takeoff because the wheels are being pulled. Landing will be a different matter, when the wheels are being pushed.

I have almost zilch experience with amphbs however, but this thread is interesting because I am thinking of getting one. Just need to sell the Scout.

an3_bolt
4th Dec 2012, 20:24
Amphib plus grass plus shimmy usually don't belong in the one sentence.

Before YSHR was sealed, amphib Beavers and Caravans coped with mud, rocks and grass for years. Don't have the problems with brakes now that the strip has been sealed.

Yep - and I used to watch the shimmy and wonder when one of those little mosquito legged struts was going to fail. Never saw one fail though.....must be built reasonably well.

weloveseaplanes
7th Dec 2012, 00:23

and wonder when one of those little mosquito legged struts was going to fail. Never saw one fail though.....must be built reasonably well.

This is interesting. So amphib Beavers can and were operating successfully from grass strips?