PDA

View Full Version : I WANT TO BE A PILOT? (PLEASE READ) HELP?!!?

predzsingh15
24th Nov 2012, 20:52
Hi Guys,
Basically I am 15 years old and i live in England.
I have had lessons at WLAC (WEST LONDON AERO CLUB) in Maidenhead
(White Waltham)
I have received my log book and a
"PA28-TAE125 WARRIOR II/CADET CHECK LIST"
In my logbook under "HOLDERS OPERATING CAPACITY" IT SAYS 'PUT' on all 3 of my lessons I've had so far.
For my FIRST lesson under "single engine(SE)" (in the logbook) and below that there are 2 sides to write in. One is 'in command' and the other 'Dual or p2'.
'In command' (for my 1st lesson) is empty and 'Dual p2' says 0.6 and on the remarks it says 'Trial lesson'.
Now for my 2nd flight it was 60 minutes aswell, and under 'Dual or p2' it says 1.0 and remarks are- 'ex4, 6.1'.
For the last flight I had (3rd one) under 'Dual or p2' it says 0.8 and under remarks it says 'Ex 7/8 p1 only 0.8 needs more practice'.
NOW I DO NOT HAVE A CLUE WHAT THIS IS AND WHETHER THIS MEANS ANYTHING TO YOU.

I am very confused in how to become a pilot, exactly how many hours are required, tests,etc? (BASICALLY EVERYTHING)

I would like to become a commercial pilot and i dont know what to do in order to become a pilot (how many gcses, do I need, what grade, which a levels to do and what grade, which degree to do at university etc)
I was on the WLAC website and i came accross these packages please take a look at these Jar-ppl packages and explain to me what it is? what it includes? what will i benefit? how much work do i need to put in?

which one do I need:

THIS IS WHAT THEY HAVE TO OFFER:-
PPL Packages

45 hours JAR PPL dual instruction in an Piper Warrior PA28 – 161 AVGAS including all written exams and WLAC PPL Student workbook - £8126
45 hours JAR PPL dual instruction in a Piper Warrior PA28 – TAE125 Diesel including all written exams and WLAC PPL Student workbook - £7847
32 hours National PPL dual instruction in a Piper Warrior PA28 – 161 AVGAS including all written exams and WLAC PPL Student workbook- £5893
32 hours National PPL dual instruction in a Piper Warrior PA28 – TAE125 Diesel including all written exams and WLAC PPL Student workbook- £5637

BECAUSE THIS IS QUITE CHEAP 8K AND PEOPLE SAY YOU NEED ABOUT 80K I AM VERY CONFUSED DO YOU NEED TO PAY AN ADDITIONAL AFTER THIS (SAY IF I WENT FOR ONE OF THESE COURSES?)
PLEASE GUIDE ME AS I CANT GET TO SLEEP THINKING ABOUT THIS
ALSO WILL I GET MY PPL IF I GET ONE OF THESE COURSES?

Thanks in advance :)

taxistaxing
24th Nov 2012, 22:18
Have you asked your instructor to explain the log book entries to you? He or she certainly should.

The figures you quote are for PPL training only. That is a basic license that will qualify you to act as pilot in command of a single engined aircraft, on private flights.

The £80k would be for training right through to frozen atpl which means ppl, atpl theory exams, cpl and instrument rating. Some flight schools would get you to this point for around £50k. Read the modular versus integrated thread for more detail.

You may also want to visit the GAPAN website. They have a good booklet on ways to become a pilot and also offer aptitude testing.

Good luck!

taxistaxing
24th Nov 2012, 22:21
You'd also be better off posting this in the "wannabes" section of the site. More people will see it there and be able to reply.

sevenstrokeroll
25th Nov 2012, 00:08
I wish someone had told me the following when I was 15..

IT IS VERY EXPENSIVE TO BECOME a commercial pilot (actually I am sure you mean AIRLINE PILOT...there can be a difference)

Why do I want to be a pilot?

Do you understand that for the rest of your professional life you will be working on Christmas day, away from your family, and always wondering if you will have a job?

That you MIGHT, say again , MIGHT make more money in another job?

Have you read any books about aviators/flying etc?

if not, read:

"The Spirit of St. Louis"
"Stick and Rudder"
"Fate is the Hunter"

Have you watched any films about flying?

"The spirit of st. louis"
"The Winds of Kitty Hawk"

Do you go to ''little'' airports and watch planes taking off and landing?

ARe you in good health? Can you pass a first class physical exam? (or whatever they are called in England)

How will you pay for flight training?

Are you good enough or so inclined to be an RAF pilot?

Other posters are right...you should ask the guy who signed your logbook what it all means.

AS to the number of flying hours you need...an awful lot. Some can be earned as you do other sorts of jobs in flying like instructing, or other general aviation jobs.

An airline transport pilot certificate (license) in the USA demands 1500 hours...a commercial about 250 hours...so at least the first 250 hours or so (can be different) will be up to YOU TO PAY FOR.

In retrospect, in 1982 I was offered a job with the then pretty new APPLE COMPUTER...I wish I had taken it and not been a pilot!

Be careful what you wish for...you might just get it.

Mimpe
25th Nov 2012, 06:08
Youngster! - the post above covers most of the long term essential questions you need to answer.

In relation to your questions about anything (starting with your log book), a good instructor/school will happily answer any of these kinds of questions. If not, perhaps they arent the right ones for you. Perhaps keep a notebook of all the new things you learn.

As far as learning goes, you will need to be initially very patient and enduring with the strange environment, strange phrases and words, and also the level of responsibility and maturity required to be safe in the environment. These are personal qualities, not just aviation qualities.

If you have the stomach to put up with it all, theres lots of fun and challenge along the way!

Getting an airline cadetship would be a great help if you can manage...

DooblerChina
26th Nov 2012, 22:13
On the other hand, you might get lucky, find a good airline that pays well, enables a good home work balance and makes u want to get out of bed every morning.... they do exist.

Good luck

obgraham
26th Nov 2012, 22:39
Pred:
Might I suggest that you try to find a kindly flight instructor who would be willing to take you under his/her wing and provide some mentoring. He could help by outlining the processes and type of learning you will have to undertake.
Perhaps joining a local flying club near your home would help. Or just hanging out at a local airport where old guys gather to fly a bit, work on their airplanes, chat a bit, and spit occasionally.
If you act interested in all aspects of aviation you'll find folks willing to help you.
Meanwhile, work at your schoolwork -- math and science especially.

Stall Inducer
27th Nov 2012, 14:58
I'd suggest you get yourself to the next 'Flyer' Flight Training Exhibition. The next one is in Dublin on the 6th April & there's one in London on 20th April. Keep a look out in 'Flyer' magazine for details or just google it. You will get to meet various flight training providers as well as current airline Pilots & reps from the airlines. I think there's also various seminars as well. You'll be able to ask all the questions you have & come back well informed on the different routes there are to becoming a Pilot.
As for the log book entries they probably refer to manoever or skill exercise numbers. Each manoevre normally has an excercise number so next time you go back your instructor will know what you covered in your previous lesson. This ensures that you don't end up repeating or skipping exercises required. Your flying club should have a list exercise numbers & manoevers. Eg straight & level flight might be ex1, Circuits might be ex2 & so on, so you may do several excercises in one lesson.
Good luck