PDA

View Full Version : A cheap way for "Pilot Lawyers" to renew their SEP rating?

Level Attitude
24th Nov 2012, 14:50
FCL.740.A Revalidation of class and type ratings — aeroplanes
(b) Revalidation of single-pilot single-engine class ratings.

(1) Single-engine piston aeroplane class ratings and TMG ratings. For revalidation
of single-pilot single-engine piston aeroplane class ratings or TMG class ratings the applicant shall:

- (i) within the 3 months preceding the expiry date of the rating, pass a proficiency
check in the relevant class in accordance with Appendix 9 to this Part with an examiner; or

- (ii) within the 12 months preceding the expiry date of the rating, complete 12 hours
of flight time in the relevant class, including:
- - - 6 hours as PIC,
- - - 12 take-offs and 12 landings, and
- - - a training flight of at least 1 hour with a flight instructor (FI) or a class rating instructor (CRI).

Applicants shall be exempted from this flight if they have passed a class or type rating proficiency
check or skill test in any other class or type of aeroplane.

Applicant meets Examiner with his completed SRG1119E, Log Book and License.
Examiner checks paperwork and confirms 6 Hous PIC, 1 Hour Pu/t
and 12 Take Offs and Landings but queries the 5 hours claimed as Pax and
suggests applicant needs to do an LPC.

But, says applicant, I have the required 12 hours flight time in an SEP and I
have met all the stipulated operating capacity requirements.

Why won't you sign my form/ratings page?

Discuss....................

BackPacker
24th Nov 2012, 15:16
Isn't 'flight time' defined somewhere as time in flight (block off to block on actually) where you are in some sort of operating capacity? That would exclude pax.

(Don't have time right now to look it up though.)

Level Attitude
24th Nov 2012, 15:50
FCL.010 Definitions
‘Flight time’: for aeroplanes,touring motor gliders and powered-lift, it means the total time from the moment an aircraft first moves for the purpose of taking off until the moment it finally comes to rest at the end of the flight;

24Carrot
24th Nov 2012, 18:16
I posted about this once before (eons ago).

The language only asks you to complete the 12H during the specified 12 months. So, arguably, only the final minute of those qualifying 12H has to fall within the 12 months!

And before anybody comments, yes, it is a very silly argument, and no, I would never try it on!:ok:

Legalapproach
24th Nov 2012, 18:26
And recording of flight time is set out at JAR FCL 1.080

There is no provision for recording passenger time and therefore it should not be there and/or the examiner can ignore it as an erroneous entry. You therefore have no proof of the hours you claim.:hmm:

BEagle
24th Nov 2012, 21:34
But, says applicant, I have the required 12 hours flight time in an SEP and I have met all the stipulated operating capacity requirements.

Why won't you sign my form/ratings page?

Discuss....................

Because you're an idiot! Now, $od off and annoy someone else!

BillieBob
25th Nov 2012, 08:53
And recording of flight time is set out at JAR FCL 1.080

There is no provision for recording passenger time and therefore it should not be thereNot true.

1. JAR-FCL is, in the UK at least, an obsolete document.

2. AMC1 FCL.050 contains the same information as JAR-FCL 1.080 but...

3. FCL.050 states that a pilot shall record flight time in a 'manner established by the competent authority'.

Consequently, in the UK, the law regarding the contents of a pilot's personal logbook is contained in Article 79 of the ANO, which details only the minimum that must be recorded - there is absolutely nothing to prevent you recording anything else that you wish, including passenger time.

These are simple points of fact and are in no way intended to counter BEagle's masterful summation!

Actually, as an afterthought, the full wording of FCL.050 is "The pilot shall keep a reliable record of the details of all flights flown in a form and manner established by the competent authority.", which could, by the original premise, be interpreted as requiring that a pilot must record flights flown as a passenger!! ;)

stickandrudderman
25th Nov 2012, 09:33
- (ii) within the 12 months preceding the expiry date of the rating, complete 12 hours of flight time in the relevant class, including:
- - - 6 hours as PIC,

This, for me, is the ambiguous bit.

If only 6 of the prescribed 12 need to be PIC, where does one get the other 6 from?

Actually, now i think about it I suppose they could be training.

24Carrot
25th Nov 2012, 14:49
If the hours per annum are low enough for it to matter, they are probably club checkouts!