PDA

View Full Version : Too old for apprenticeship?

will48
23rd Nov 2012, 20:37
Hi, this is my first post on the forum so go easy on me!

Heres the deal. I'm 28 years old, and I'm looking to change careers into aerospace as an engineer. I currently work as a military vehicle fitter, and have done since doing an apprenticeship with the mod when I was 19.
In my mind I see the best way to get into this career is to do an apprenticeship, and I'm prepared to go back to the start and learn everything from the ground up! Now, from what I've read government funding for apprenticeships ends at 24. So my question is this: Is anyone going to take me on as an apprentice at my age?

Hasherucf
24th Nov 2012, 00:56
Go for it mate . At the ripe old age of 32 I started an apprenticeship as an AME. The drop in wages was hard and took a lot of sacrifice but it all worked out :-)

nelbhoy
24th Nov 2012, 09:26
Try British Airways Maintenance Glasgow. They take on guys with trades to work as mechs. You could study for your tickets while getting ojt.

kel247
25th Nov 2012, 14:15
will48

There are opportunties out there mate, you just have to keep looking and form some networks, I am very similer to yourself in many ways with the same aspirations.

Some Companys will not look at you due to your age and others do not see it as an issue, just ring around.

You will have to start again in many ways, but you have learned a trade and know where you are going and what you want.

Start networking and get yourself a CAP 741, use this document to record all a/c work you complete, See link below

www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65 (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65)...

Good luck mate

Kel

will48
25th Nov 2012, 17:28
Cheers for the replies guys, it's been very helpful! Just need to crack on and get applying now!

Ninjated
21st Dec 2012, 13:01
Hi Will, I wish you success with the hunt for an apprenticeship but if not there will always be someone willing to give you a start at the bottom end of the market (light aircraft, components etc) and teach you on the job. OK you may get taken advantage of and the money will probably be crap to start with but you will be learning and once you prove yourself you can work your way in and upward even without aviation qualifications initially. Some of the best fitters I know had no formal aircraft teaching but were like you with a mechanical background. The UK are desperate for Aircraft fitters. I work with a large airline and we are taking on the experienced light aircraft/ forces guys and honing their skills as there are so few trained people about now. those people need to be replaced so that could give you a chance.

Perrin
23rd Dec 2012, 10:48
When I was working and hiring later on, I would have jumped at the chance to hire some one with ex military life and someone looking to move on, some of the best people I have worked with started out like you,I did as well!

Keep them up boys

Peter :ok:

ericferret
23rd Dec 2012, 12:09
At 28 you have 37 working years in you so why anyone should think that is too old defeats me.

You would bring maturity and workplace experience to the job. The drop out rate for 17 year old appentices is high. You have proven hands dirty experience something that seems to terrify school leavers.

At least one chief engineer I know started off as a car mechanic and worked up as
ground handler, trainee mechanic, mechanic, licensed engineer, shift supervisor and then chief engineer. If my memory serves me right he started at about 27/28 years old for one of the offshore helicopter companies.

The biggest problem is actually being able to take up an opportunity, pay cut, probably moving away. Not easy if you have a familly.

Target, job with £50,000+ a year at current rates, but not tomorrow, a long haul.

pilot and apprentice
23rd Dec 2012, 12:15
I'm over 40 and doing the same. Trying to make a switch.

The jobs are there, even for me at my ripe old age.;)

chapter22
24th Dec 2012, 17:45
Look at BA.com for jobs look for engineering mechanics and keep looking as recruitment will be ongoing through the next year. Having already done an apprenticeship you have the qualifications to start as a mechanic with BA if you prove yourself in the interview.

glad rag
26th Dec 2012, 09:20
SSE are taking "mature" people for their WTG's........well they will once the currant hiring freeze is rescinded....