PDA

View Full Version : Old fuddy duddy seeking new job....

Rotor Driver
22nd Nov 2012, 07:04
I am 65, have all my own hair and teeth and am presently fully employed as a Capt on a 12,500+ helicopter. Hold an unrestricted ATP with a 1st class FAA medical. Experienced on most Bell products (212/412/214ST) and the S-61. No 139 or S92 experience.

I am wondering if there is anyplace out there where my experience would be welcome, keeping in mind that I am 65 years young. I have been doing the same job for 7 years now and am bored out of my skull. Looking for a new experience. Much prefer to work overseas on a rotation, but will consider other arrangments. (Not sure if I can get the wife away from the grandkids!)

Fareastdriver
22nd Nov 2012, 20:41
It will be difficult. Overseas means Eurocopter so 139, 332 or 225 experience is what they are looking for. As far as licensing in concerned there are a few countries that will let you aquire an ATP past 65 but not many. You can normally only use your FAA license for six months, once.

John Eacott
22nd Nov 2012, 20:48
With those endorsements have you considered fire ops? Lots of those types migrate here for our fire season with FAA rego, and Australian regs are better than most for 'older' pilots if you have a CASA licence.

Helitac would be one of the more rewarding and challenging jobs around, with plenty of northern hemisphere locations during our winter ;)

Rotor Driver
22nd Nov 2012, 21:16
I had not thought about fires internationally. Thanks for that suggestion. HTSI, Erickson, who else?

Saint Jack
23rd Nov 2012, 02:13
Rotor Driver - check your PM's.

Thomas coupling
23rd Nov 2012, 16:50
Rotor - move over granddad and give someone younger a crack at the whip - their gagging for a job. Relax and smoke your pension away.:ouch:

before landing check list
23rd Nov 2012, 17:18
Those "younger" are often in dire need of instruction. Unless a person comes from the FMS (or XBOX) generation eh?

AirWon
23rd Nov 2012, 23:19
You're out of order, Thomas Coupling. Save that kind of talk for JH.

Rotor Driver
23rd Nov 2012, 23:57
Who else should get out of flying? Maybe those with blue eyes, or anyone with more then 5500 hours? Or maybe anyone with less then 5000 hours should only serve as a co-pilot while they learn some skills and gain some maturity?