PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know how to fly a HOG?

Temp Spike
22nd Nov 2012, 00:21
Civilian A-10 pilot soon needed....good money, (ask for 150K plus). Lots of beer. Not scary. Cushy. Send CV to:

The Center for Interdisciplinary Remotely-Piloted Aircraft Studies (CIRPAS) (http://www.cirpas.org/)

Sun Who
22nd Nov 2012, 06:39
The phrases "mothballed A-10" and "storm penetration" in the same sentence....

Sun

Jumping_Jack
22nd Nov 2012, 07:52
'Not scary'?!!! :ooh:

Tashengurt
22nd Nov 2012, 08:22
Anybody know how to fly a HOG?

No, but for 150K I'll give it a go. How hard can it be? :}

NutLoose
22nd Nov 2012, 08:38
Not fancy holding out for the F16 ones

QF-16 Arrives at Tyndall for Drone Transition - WMBB News 13 - The Panhandle's News Leader (http://www.wmbb.com/story/20141925/qf-16-arrives-at-tyndall-for-drone-transition)

SASless
22nd Nov 2012, 11:41
Temp.......Thunderstorm Penetration flights used to be made in an "armored" T-28 airplane.....and was done for years. I would much rather be in the HAWG than the T-28....except for one thing....ingestion of Hail by turbines as compared to Prop driven radial engines.

chuks
22nd Nov 2012, 12:10
I was thinking the same thing! Two geniuses, I suppose....

Hail should make a real mess of the fan blades, and those big storms are supposed to have hailstones the size of grapefruit inside them. I just do not understand how that is supposed to work, unless they plan to avoid the parts of the storm where the hail is most likely to be found and hope for the best.

cockney steve
22nd Nov 2012, 13:53
Spec was probably drawn up by a bunch of wet-behind-the-ears clueless feckwit Graduates with NO real-world experience and little reasoning-powers.

SASless
22nd Nov 2012, 14:18
Info on the t-28 program.....

T-28 Description and History (http://www.ias.sdsmt.edu/institute/t28/plane.htm)

Temp Spike
22nd Nov 2012, 14:30
years ago about the diverse compatibility between hail and fan/turbine blades but they poo-pooed me. The aircraft will be beefed up and armored they tell me. Hey, what do I know? They have the best minds in the country working on it. You always have that ejection seat. The T-28 didn’t and it went for many years. Bent a lot of parts but it still went. The money is the key. You guys get in there and negotiate and don’t sell yourselves short. Don't let'em BS ya. They got mega bucks and love to spend it. We need that data dadgumit.

and Happy Thanksgiving!

mike-wsm
22nd Nov 2012, 21:38
Missing the point, perhaps, their aircraft are Remotely Piloted.

Temp Spike
22nd Nov 2012, 23:01
They don't have anymore drones. They still operate other party's drones sometimes, but their atmospheric research aircraft are not remotely piloted. Give them a call and ask. I can guarantee you they won't be operating an A-10 "drone". The Air Force won’t let them make a “drone” out of their A-10, and, the FAA won’t let them fly a “drone A-10” all over the Midwest chasing thunderstorms. They don't create anything but science data. The aircraft are just platforms. Unclassified, no secret wiz-bang stuff. A lot of fun really.