PDA

View Full Version : LIVE Noise - STOP NOW ! west London 0530

AnFI
21st Nov 2012, 04:48
Who is hovering over West London now - 05:30?

Who is the pilot how are they making SO much noise I've never heard a helicopter make that much noise - vortex slapping, insensitive... heavy?
... 500,000 affluent influencial people getting angry with helicopters

Someone phone Lippets Hill now and make sure that there really is something gravely serious happening to justify the outrageous damage being caused to helicopters...

(Last time 4 am Chelsea was a parking meter cash snatch)

Damage to helicopters in general !!

somepitch
21st Nov 2012, 05:02
breaaaathe.... :E

Hempy
21st Nov 2012, 05:06
Wrong site, you need POOPOO.org (PrOfessiOnal PilOts nOise network..)

Wagging Finger
21st Nov 2012, 05:08
Ahhh, the sound of freedom.

AnFI
21st Nov 2012, 05:14
he's gone now - come back!!

I need more persuasion that my tax is being used in an entertaining manner for someone...

Cows getting bigger
21st Nov 2012, 05:30
Sorry for the interlude - needed fuel :)

ShyTorque
21st Nov 2012, 10:18
Don't be such a spoilsport. Helicopter pilots love getting up early to hover in the dark at 0530; it's the best part of the job.

sss
21st Nov 2012, 10:25
On the bright side, At least you won't be late for your highly paid influential job now your up.

misterbonkers
21st Nov 2012, 11:22
AnFI - please can you let me have your postcode for noise abatement. Thanks!

heli-cal
21st Nov 2012, 16:40
Have some cheese with your whine... :{

500,000 affluent influencial people

And some Kleenex to wipe up the oozing arrogance emanating from your (Jet Blast fodder) post!

Agaricus bisporus
21st Nov 2012, 16:48
Good thing the 222s have gone or he'd be ten times a mad!

Gemini Twin
21st Nov 2012, 19:05
"outrageous damage being caused to helicopters..."
"Damage to helicopters in general !!"

How is this damaging helicopters??

Bronx
21st Nov 2012, 21:51
And some Kleenex to wipe up the oozing arrogance emanating from your (Jet Blast fodder) post!

http://forums.jetnation.com/public/style_emoticons/default/fish2.gif

Pittsextra
21st Nov 2012, 22:24
All joking aside there is some thoughtless use of helicopters by Met police. This summer the best way to view an EC145 was at Hampstead Heath where day after day one would be 30 mins plus in a low circuit break off and return. If you ever lived in Canary Wharf 3 and 4am alarm calls were regular as a helicopter patrolled south of the river.

misterbonkers
22nd Nov 2012, 03:40
Perhaps they were chasing thoughtless criminals.

If you want a quiet life go live in the country - you'll probably enjoy the quiet life - especially when it's harvest season.

You live in London - a vibrant 24/7 city - you can get what you want, when you want but it comes a price!

Pittsextra
22nd Nov 2012, 07:00
says a man clearly with no recent experience of living in London...

An EC145 flying at 100ft AGL might be quite pleasing to the eye for you and me but take a trip to NW3 and then see how you think the majority of people might view it?

As for catching criminals as the OP said....catching someone who did over a parking meter for £20 is hardly worth the effort

misterbonkers
22nd Nov 2012, 07:45
Doah. Always thought Balham was in London. Silly me!

100ft - really?

Parking meter today - your house tomorrow. Just phone your new PCC and ask him/her to arrange for the Police to police elsewhere in London - I'm sure the shift in resources would be welcomed by other residents in different postcodes.

Pittsextra
22nd Nov 2012, 08:08
OK so if you live in Balham you take the point?

And yes 100ft AGL over Hampstead Heath late this summer... bear in mind that Hampstead community have pretty much forced the local ambulance service to cease with emergency horns you see how EC's finest at low level was going to be welcomed.

Flying Lawyer
22nd Nov 2012, 09:11
Pittsextra As for catching criminals as the OP said....catching someone who did over a parking meter for £20 is hardly worth the effort

As I regularly see during the course of my work, police helicopters perform invaluable work helping to protect the community and combat crime (for example) by searching for suspects, helping to apprehend them and assisting with firearms incidents, public order incidents and counter terrorism operations. The noise they create is a trivial price to pay for the enormous value they provide.
Night-time noise would, of course, be significantly reduced if criminals could be persuaded to confine their activities to the day.

The majority of the public are probably not aware of the work done by police helicopters. The whingers probably don't care - provided they aren't the victims of crime.

FL

Pittsextra
22nd Nov 2012, 10:55
Whilst this wasn't my post I do see some of the points the OP is making.

I like aviation so I don't have much cares but given its 2012 and not a great deal has been done with a scheduled commercial helicopter service in the capital - something that probably would gain traction but for enviornmental concerns - the met police useage, at times, hasn't been the best.

As regards to counter terrorism - the UK (no the western world) seems to be getting itself in a twist over this, but that is another story....

In fact firearms is another story of focus in London given recent events wouldn't you say???

Flying Lawyer
22nd Nov 2012, 11:14
Pitts

My comments are based upon considerable experience in the London criminal courts.

Yes, there are a number of problems relating to the possession and use of firearms in London (and in other big cities) but this thread is about police helicopters.

FL

Pittsextra
22nd Nov 2012, 11:28
agree its about helo - so zero impact by police helicopters in the capital?

Pittsextra
22nd Nov 2012, 11:36
A brief "google" search suggests not.. in fact this is quite interesting:-

Helicopter Noise - a Freedom of Information request to Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) - WhatDoTheyKnow (http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/helicopter_noise)

The FOI request is of course OTT but in the response there is comment that the ASU has kept their own records of complaint since 2011.

Pittsextra
22nd Nov 2012, 11:43
Crikey it gets worse...

Helicopter Noise Coalition - Home (http://www.helicopter-noise.org.uk/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1)

and when you look at this data (you have to scroll around to find the pdf) you can see the majority of sorties yields zero

Helicopter Deployments - a Freedom of Information request to Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) - WhatDoTheyKnow (http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/helicopter_deployments)

mickjoebill
22nd Nov 2012, 12:33
and when you look at this data (you have to scroll around to find the pdf) you can see the majority of sorties yields zero
I read it as twenty two sorties and five with a defined outcome.

The heli is part of a team. Its effectivness especially for night searches using thermal camera and searchlight usually enables fast resolutions to incidents that would otherwise require a significant number of ground personel.

A call to ground units from the air wing that there is no threat evident in many circumstances will enable those who felt under threat to sleep more soundly and the limited number of police on night duty to return to their curry.

This is hardly a zero yeild in my book.

One mans noise is anothers music?

Mickjoebill

Pittsextra
22nd Nov 2012, 12:46
Hang on look just to be clear I'm just reporting what I find.. I have no interest in moaning about Met Police ASU.

But if you going to quote me do it accurately..

so key word here is "majority"

I read it as twenty two sorties and five with a defined outcome.

So 22 - 5 = 17 or the majority.... I think thats right. I've shown my workings out so you can check.

mickjoebill
22nd Nov 2012, 21:38
So 22 - 5 = 17 or the majority.... I think thats right. I've shown my workings out so you can check.

Pitts extra, I'v no complaint about the math but don't concurr that the majority can be described as zero yeild.

Off topic, getting a response from the airwing is a job well done, having formally asked a force in another country for details of flights during a natural disaster, for the purposes of research, I was eventually told that all operations that day had a law enforcement role and so they were unable to provide details of any flights.

Mickjobill

Aerodynamik
23rd Nov 2012, 08:38
All joking aside there is some thoughtless use of helicopters by Met police.

Really, how do you know that they were doing there?

This summer the best way to view an EC145 was at Hampstead Heath where day after day one would be 30 mins plus in a low circuit break off and return.

30 minutes over that hot bed of crime, Hampstead, every day and then returning.....really?

If you ever lived in Canary Wharf 3 and 4am alarm calls were regular as a helicopter patrolled south of the river.

I suspect the crew, as much as any body else, would rather not be flying around London at them unearthly times of the morning, and 5-30am as in the original post,unless they had to.

Flying at 100ft AGL

Really, I assume you're not a pilot then?

There is no doubt that the noise is annoying but please keep it real!!

Pittsextra
23rd Nov 2012, 08:44
whoa whoa I live in NW3 and in the late summer of this year there was an EC145 over the heath for several days. So continual that on about day 3 at around 6pm I wandered over to see what was up and whilst i didn't have the laser measuring gear out and so how accurate must one be? I estimate 100, but as you weren't there I don't think you'll be more accurate.

ShyTorque
23rd Nov 2012, 09:28
there was an EC145 over the heath for several days

Amazing endurance for a helicopter.

Pittsextra
23rd Nov 2012, 09:35
hahaha... I'll get my coat

Brilliant Stuff
23rd Nov 2012, 10:22
@Pittsextra
I really would like to know how you used the mark one eyeball to measure 100'.....

Are you a helicopter pilot?

Pittsextra
23rd Nov 2012, 10:48
Crikey being called out! As it happens I do fly helicopters and fixed wing. As to how/why 100ft... well in the end its going to be something you either choose to believe or not really, but if you are not familiar with the heath then you can look at google maps.

Find the grass area between parliment hill running track and highgate ponds... the ground there slope downward from north to south but the trees you see there are around give a reasonable point of reference...

Panoramio - Photos of the World (http://www.panoramio.com/photo_explorer#user=4366967&with_photo_id=50000569&order=date_desc)

Edited to add photo for ref

Old Age Pilot
23rd Nov 2012, 11:16
Hi Pittsextra

I'm sorry to be so brash, but you really are a twit. You're one of those motor mouth supposed 'helicopter pilots' who in the name of 'discussion' appears to be thoroughly against helicopter aviation - along with a few other usernames on here. Chill out and wind yer neck in!

I believe your constant (brut force) hammering of questions and statements only works to make us and our industry look bad to anyone outside of the industry viewing this forum.

Your ranting on the North Sea Ditching thread is achieving nothing towards the safety of anything, instead only serving to point out the obvious and incite argument.

Your presence on this thread is ridiculous. You live in NW3 but I expect you know nothing of what is actually going on on the Met Police' sorties and indeed with the parking meter criminals and their background. The Met are doing a top notch job in the air and if you don't like the noise, instead of point ing out how bad it is (or at least side with the OP / your alter ego on pprune?), move the heck out of metropolis you fool.

Pittsextra
23rd Nov 2012, 11:24
Oh dear.

why am i against helicopters? For goodness sake I just said you know what living in london i can take some of the point made about noise in London thats all. When did I say I know about the met poice? All I countered was the idea by flying lawyer that all was well in the world.

As for the NS debate what issues do you have there? You suggesting that talking about things is bad?

Brilliant Stuff
24th Nov 2012, 13:57
Pitts
Okay now we have established that you fly. Is this for a living? And more importantly do you fly helicopters for a living?

I am only having some "fun" with you that's all. I am only interested how you arrived at the 100', nothing else.

So 6 O'clock, that would be night-time, again looking at your picture.....

BTW the Met are perfectly within their right to hover at 100' but if they actually did at night-time with you looking on.......

I personally would find it very difficult to tell how high a helicopter hovers at....

smarthawke
24th Nov 2012, 14:19
Might one presume that some one going by the name of 'Pittsextra' may not always be flying in well-silenced airplanes and perhaps even be engaged in aerobatics - probably for fun?

Not the quietest of hobbies for the people below to enjoy....

darrenphughes
24th Nov 2012, 14:25
I don't know any pilots that want to be flying at 5:30 in the morning. We're a bit of a lazy crowd like that!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
24th Nov 2012, 14:55
<<Someone phone Lippets Hill now >>

Er... why not you?

griffothefog
24th Nov 2012, 18:03
Pittsextra,

You're a knob..No not the door kind :rolleyes:

Pittsextra
24th Nov 2012, 19:48
It might help if people read this thread and see I'm not the originator... Also read that the Hampstead example was late summer so quite why it's dark? You tell me. The picture isn't mine it's merely an example of the area. Ok?

Why should having an opinion lead to a bunch of personal abuse? It kind of suggests the abusers have run out of useful things to say.

I'm not a big complainer of helicopter noise, I didn't start the thread all I said was that sometimes you can't be surprised eye brows get raised. Just like if you were to fly aerobatics in central London at 530am..