PDA

View Full Version : Airbus RMP tuning SOP

Superpilot
20th Nov 2012, 12:07
Is your airline one of the many that has an SOP that insists VHF1 only be tuned via RMP1 and VHF2 via RMP2?

I've heard of many excuses:

The 'SEL' light blinds at night
The other guy never sees what's in standby
P1 gets to ensure P2 is setting the correct frequency
It's the way it was meant to be!

If so, what are the cited reasons? Is this just a old boy hangover from the days when it was not possible to tune any freq from any box or does this SOP have sound reasoning behind it?

EpsilonVaz
20th Nov 2012, 12:30
It sounds very awkward and un-ergonomic to have it that way. I'm glad my airline doesn't have that SOP.

In my opinion it's just old boy Captains wanting to feel important by having everyone stretch to their side while they don't have to move.

EMIT
20th Nov 2012, 14:05
Reaching across the pedestal to set the frequency on the other side is not a herculian physical effort.

Loosing track of which frequency was set on what set via which panel and having all pushbuttons set correctly all the time, even when you are switched from one freq to the other in a short busy time span, is much more an ergonomic problem.

Nothing to do with lust to feel important.

Cardinal
21st Nov 2012, 17:05
If you can't consistently figure out the RMP/ACP you are too neanderthal to fly airplanes. How often are you juggling VHF1+2 anyway? My god people make this job so difficult, on the altar of making it idiot-proof, which is impossible.

TopBunk
21st Nov 2012, 17:34
My personal preference was always to tune VHF1/HF1 on RMP 1 and VHF2/HF2 on RMP2 and VHF3 on RMP3 (when not in ACARS mode).

Not because it would be done incorrectly very often at all, BUT because when it WAS done incorrectly the consequences could be significant - think loss of comms over sensitive areas etc. Nothing to do with SEL lights etc - think also 4 in the morning when knackered and when operating at 20%.

It is just good practice - KISS.

busav8r
21st Nov 2012, 18:24
I have to agree with both Emit and TopBunk even tough my present company SOP's requires the opposite (unfortunately).

That's just a matter of safety and good practice... and of course KISS.

I can't say the numberous times that I lost track of what frequency in what RMP/radio (either by my own fault or my F/Os... or even by both at the same time).

hetfield
21st Nov 2012, 18:33
Sorry, IMHO rmps are crap....

A33Zab
22nd Nov 2012, 10:26
AFAIK,

Captains (LH) side - ACP1/RMP1 - and VHF1 is the only combination available in ELEC Emergency configuration.
Defaulting to this setup prevents communication interrupts when in an emergency situation.

Airmann
23rd Nov 2012, 01:38
A little bit off topic, but valid nonetheless. On the new Bombardier C series aircraft they've opted to put the RMP (or whatever they call it) in front of the pilot on the dash next to the FCU/MCP.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6060/6339117542_a97e9ae931_b.jpg

CONF iture
23rd Nov 2012, 01:54
Captains (LH) side - ACP1/RMP1 - and VHF1 is the only combination available in ELEC Emergency configuration.
Defaulting to this setup prevents communication interrupts when in an emergency situation.
But whatever the SOP in use, ATC communication is still done through VHF1.

Superpilot
23rd Nov 2012, 01:56
And that is the way it should be IMO. After gear and flaps up, it is the control most used by the PNF and it should be in a central position that allows one to maintain a good peripheral vision including the outside and the PFD/ND.

OK, I'll add some negatives from my point of view, having experienced this SOP at two airlines.

The left trim wheel restricts most of the display from the FOs side and so it cannot be done without making a concerted attempt to lean sideways. I have on many occasions set the wrong decimal part because I couldn't see the last digit I was setting, example freq: 119.000, I end up setting 119.050 or 119.005
It is actually quite uncomfortable to lean over and set RMP1 from the FOs side. Even worse with the harness
On departure and approach/landing it means the Captain must make every attempt to raise or move his arm out of the way just so that the FO can see the display. That can't be a good thing, surely?
Many Captains know it's a **** SOP that requires you to make the stretch and will happily set the frequency for you when in cruise. I think that says it all.