PDA

View Full Version : RFDS Pilot Sacked

Rotor Work
20th Nov 2012, 09:33
Flying doctor pilot sacked for failing drug test - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-20/flying-doctor-pilot-sacked-after-failing-drug-test/4382710)

The Royal Flying Doctor Service in Queensland says it had no option but to sack a pilot who failed a drug and alcohol test after the plane he was flying lost contact with air traffic control.
The pilot was forced to take the test after the incident, during which contact was lost for 13 minutes while the plane was carrying a nurse and two patients from Bundaberg to Brisbane.
Chief executive Nino di Marco says it is unclear if those on board knew something was wrong.
"At this stage, that's all subject to the investigation," he said.
"What we do know is that there was a 13-minute period where the aircraft did lose contact, so in terms of what happened, that is part of the investigation process."
Mr Di Marco says the service has a zero-tolerance policy on drugs and alcohol.
"The two key areas of importance for us is patient welfare and employee safety and that's something that we value highly," he said.
"The fact that this is the first incident of its nature in the organisation's history, it's shocked and disappointed us."

drag king
20th Nov 2012, 09:47
The Royal Flying Doctor Service in Queensland says it had no option but to sack a pilot who failed a drug and alcohol test after the plane he was flying lost contact with air traffic control.

"At this stage, that's all subject to the investigation,"

I beg your pardon but I DON'T GET IT! He/she has been sacked BEFORE the investigation had been completed? That's an odd way of proceeding, ain't?

DK :uhoh:

Bonniciwah
20th Nov 2012, 09:50
They have to investigate why he lost contact and what had occurred on the aircraft.
But if you fail a drug test, you fail a drug test, whether or not something goes wrong.

Dangly Bits
20th Nov 2012, 10:36
Was it drugs, OR alcohol?

compressor stall
20th Nov 2012, 10:51
When did the loss of contact occur?

Capt Claret
20th Nov 2012, 11:01
A colleague of mine failed a DAMP test. Blew 0.9. That's right.9, not 0.09. They didn't realise initially that they'd be dead at that reading, if it were accurate.

I certainly hope for the RFDS' sake, that equipment error, false positives, etc, etc have been ruled out BEFORE they sacked the pilot.

ABC TV news at 7 in FNQ, said that the other occupants of the aircraft had been offered counselling (or something similar).

avconnection
20th Nov 2012, 12:10
It's not within the scope of DAMP to fire someone on a first offence, this raises far more questions than it answers. Also not sure West Ops would appreciate being roped in with a picture of their aircraft. :=

20th Nov 2012, 12:28
It's not within the scope of DAMP to fire someone on a first offence,

Is that a general statement for all DAMPS or specific to the RFDS DAMP?

If an operator has it documented in their DAMP and the employees are informed of the dismissal action as the result an initial positive and confirmatory positive tests, anyone failing a drug or alcohol test can be dismissed.

There is plenty of precedent for dismissal after the first positive test in other industries where staff operate complex machinery.

aldee
20th Nov 2012, 16:45
In mining, road transport and many other machinery related industries I've been involved in, both Oz & NZ, the company has a "duty of care" to the employee and are obliged to provide counselling and assistance to the person
Rio Tinto has a 3 strike rule in NSW and many other areas, unless gross misconduct

Appears very heavy handed based on the info available so far

RadioSaigon
20th Nov 2012, 17:41
Was it drugs, OR alcohol?

Does it matter???

:ugh:

Sunfish
20th Nov 2012, 18:58
Reading the article , noting the loss of comms and noting the bit about " counseling" I wonder here if this was not a matter of being " over the limit" on a breath test, but being functionally and visibly incapable due to intoxication?

I can think of no other reason why three strikes would not apply.

MACH082
20th Nov 2012, 19:02
Sounds like he tested positive to crack cocaine.

Whilst its no excuse to be off your noggin and flying an aeroplane with passengers the guy obviously has a substance abuse addiction.

Firing him will be a one way ticket down a very dark road.

I would have thought counseling and support would have been the most appropriate measure. Whilst its clear that he shouldn't continue his role as a Pilot, he should not be abandoned to his own devices either.

Sad times for the industry with these types of events occurring.

TBM-Legend
20th Nov 2012, 19:26
Where's the personal accountability? This guy put his aircraft and passengers plus possibly some on the ground at huge risk.

By all means send him to drug rehab but keep him out of the sky thank you.

Mail-man
20th Nov 2012, 19:42
http://m.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/royal-flying-doctor-service-pilot-passed-out-at-controls-later-tests-positive-for-drugs/story-fndo45r1-1226520737157

OzzieH4U
20th Nov 2012, 21:07
In the old days there was common sense. Don't drink and fly. Don't get high and fly!
All of a sudden some would argue that DAMP is the cause of the problem - not
A clear demand of all employers is that we pilots to remain sober and free of all intoxicating substances for at least 8 hours before flying. Most of us obey the expectation, but some don't.
CASA introduced "Drug Alcohol Monitoring Procedures" to monitor those of unknown addictions (initial test); to enable counselling of those with problems (ongoing) and to catch the dishonest (random) who think they can continue to pull the wool over the eyes of those in Authority.
If you were able to look into the etiology of this incident, I am sure you would find that this pilot has been more than fairly treated prior to and during this "incident" but at the end of the day he brought this problem down on his own head and has received his just deserts.
I have worked for the service for many years and have found them, if anything, very long suffering of employee quirks

OzzieH4U
20th Nov 2012, 21:25
And while you are all saddened for the fate of this pilot hopefully reading this will wake you up to the other possibilities -
Media Releases: 18 March 2004 - ATSB final report on the Hamilton Island fatal aircraft accident and aviation research discussion papers on alcohol and cannabis use (http://www.atsb.gov.au/newsroom/2004/release/2004_06.aspx)

Shark Slayer
20th Nov 2012, 21:38
The amount of PILOTS who test positive under DAMP is very small. No I don't know the exact figure but when I attended a DAMP course we were given the breakdown of positive tests by job category and pilots were very low.

I am not making excuses for this person, but for someone in their position to take a drug as dangerous and destructive as meth really indicates a serious personal issue. I would strongly urge the RFDS to work with this pilot to help them recover. They are after all a medical outfit.

Even AFL Football players get three strikes and the first two are confidential!

To the affected pilot - take care of yourself and get help before it is way too late, please!

20th Nov 2012, 23:02
I would have thought counseling and support would have been the most appropriate measure.

If the taking of the substance was a requirement of the RFDS OK, but as it was most likely self-inflicted, NO.

Why are people these days so willing to put personal responsibility onto anyone else other than taking responsibility themselves.

Why is the employer responsible for the rehabilitation costs for something that is self-inflicted?

TBM-Legend
20th Nov 2012, 23:28
The nanny state attitude today is sick. The company/governments are not responsible for an individual's personal behaviour. These people need to be held accountable for their actions. Putting others at risk is culpable. When it's life and death there can be no second chances.

Even AFL Football players get three strikes and the first two are confidential!

A game of footy is just that, a game! No lives at stake....

adsyj
20th Nov 2012, 23:36
Agree TBM.

I'm gobsmacked if the media report is correct.

solowflyer
21st Nov 2012, 00:19
News on radio this morning saying he was asleep.

JetA181
21st Nov 2012, 00:22
Ninemsn states he tested positive to methamphetamines, whether this is true or not who knows.

neville_nobody
21st Nov 2012, 00:48
Which can be used for narcolespy.

I think it might be smarter for the RFDS to have a full investigation then comment. Could be a tad embarrassing for them if their rostering practices led the pilot to using stimulants to stay awake.

The Green Goblin
21st Nov 2012, 02:27
Nothing to do with being a nanny state and the employer responsible.

Obviously the pilot has some self destructive personal issues and needs help and rebabilitation.

I don't think the flight deck is the right place for him, but I do think he deserves help and support to get his life on track.

It will be dark days for him right now and what does a drug addict do when they are down and it all gets too hard? Take more drugs.

Not a good place to be in.

neville_nobody
21st Nov 2012, 03:27
Nothing to do with being a nanny state and the employer responsible.

And everything to do with CASA trying to justfiy their stupid DAMP testing and its associated funding.

If this turns out to be a stuffup and/or a legal use of Meth or whatever they will never send that to the media.

Given the nature of the RFDS I doubt this is some druggo pilot.

It would be some bloke who is struggling doing night shift and probably was given something to keep him awake either legally or not.

The Mt Gambier accident pilot had similar problems and also struggled with nights and it resulted in a fatal accident.

So lets wait for the full investigation and see what happens.

Maybe the RFDS should consider 2 crew ops for late night if guys can't stay awake....

TBM-Legend
21st Nov 2012, 03:34
I'm sure that the RFDS SMS covers his "tiredness"...If he failed to use the system and call in that he was unable to fly the RFDS would listen.

Stop the excuses...

zanthrus
21st Nov 2012, 04:01
Which can be used for narcolespy.

Then this person should not have a medical certificate.
Very dangerous indeed.

tail wheel
21st Nov 2012, 07:10
The story is on the front page of today's Courier Mail news paper.

Drug-addled pilot passed out at controls | The Courier-Mail (http://www.couriermail.com.au/ipad/royal-flying-doctor-service-pilot-passed-out-at-controls-later-tests-positive-for-drugs/story-fn6ck45n-1226520764129)

I suspect the operator had no options and acted in an entirely appropriate and responsible manner.

Defenestrator
21st Nov 2012, 07:20
Whilst there may be some truth to the article don't believe everything you read in the press. What they don't know they make up. A desperately low calling is journalism.

D:hmm:

Jabawocky
21st Nov 2012, 08:22
Indeed, in my opinion, as low as you can go. Better chance of a used car salesman telling you something closer to the truth.

There are exceptions, but very very few.

Howard Hughes
21st Nov 2012, 09:15
The Mt Gambier accident pilot had similar problems and also struggled with nights and it resulted in a fatal accident.
I challenge you to show me someone who doesn't struggle with nights! It's not the individual nights that hurt, it's the long term effects (year in, year out) that I am concerned about.Maybe the RFDS should consider 2 crew ops for late night if guys can't stay awake.... This is the one thing I would like to see before I finish my career, from what I understand even third World countries operate two pilots (at night) on aeromedical operations. Who knows, this may even be a catalyst for change!

Jack Ranga
21st Nov 2012, 12:02
Me thinks there's a little more than meets the eye with this?

God forbid an investigative reporter takes it on. Nah, **** it, too hard, let's see what **** we can make up.

Shark Slayer
21st Nov 2012, 20:06
All Turbine Engine operations under JAR are two crew, aeromed or otherwise.

Journalists: Qualified for nothing but experts at everything!

stronzate
21st Nov 2012, 21:28
I've been there late nights long sectors short frequent sectors no aid black holes the whole nine yards.
Anyway CASA and their FRMS that really doesn't fit it doesn't work for most pilots ask the long haul pilots in Emirates and who set up their FRMS.
The long nights two or three in a row are dangerous, the operators and CASA KNOW THIS!
But dollar cost are paramount .
ANYWAY if you are briefed about the company FRMS the policy and the due process you take the drug you face the consequences.
Testing for anyone is just a matter of time be prepared!
I agree that there should be a need for some rehabilitation but who is the mentor here the RFDS or the pilots family?

neville_nobody
21st Nov 2012, 21:52
I'm sure that the RFDS SMS covers his "tiredness"...If he failed to use the system and call in that he was unable to fly the RFDS would listen.

Does it? And would they? As it turns out this happen in mid afternoon. Do their work rules cover day time fatigue or just nights? Do they even have a FMS? Can you go mid duty fatigued? Do you receive subtle pressure for going fatigued? Some of the rostering practices in some RFDS sections are outrageous.

Anyway drugs aside it is a disgrace that this guy got fired before they even had an investigation. Stood down on full pay should what happens. Once the investigation is complete then you can fire him.

As I said before this could blow right up in RFDS's face if it ends up being a cockup one way or another.

If this was a politician or some high profile person in society they would be saying that we need to wait for a full investigation before we can do anything but in aviation you just get the boot.....awesome system.

Either way it doesn't sound good if the newspapers are anything to go by....

A ROYAL Flying Doctor Service pilot allegedly passed out at the controls of a plane for 13 minutes while transporting patients, later testing positive to methamphetamine.

A nurse had to wake him as the plane flew to Brisbane during the airport's peak hour.

The pilot was sacked yesterday over the incident on an RFDS King Air B200 on November 5.

He was the only pilot on board the plane, which was also carrying two patients.

The Courier-Mail understands Air Traffic Control became concerned after the King Air left its assigned altitude without clearance about 42 minutes into a flight from Bundaberg.

RFDS Queensland CEO Nino Di Marco said the plane lost contact with Air Traffic Control for 13 minutes.

The incident is believed to have occurred between 4pm and 4.13pm.

"The plane subsequently regained contact," Mr Di Marco said.

"The aircraft then landed and all on board landed safety."

Under the RFDS drugs and alcohol policy, the pilot was tested after the mid-air incident and allegedly found positive to methamphetamine.

Mr Di Marco said the pilot, one of about 60 working for the RFDS in Queensland, was dismissed under the service's "zero tolerance" to flying under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

"That's the whole issue here," he said.

"Patient welfare and employee safety to us are non-negotiable. We just can't compromise on those. That is our primary focus.

"The RFDS takes its impeccable safety record very seriously and last year safely transported more than 11,000 patients across Queensland."

The pilot is believed to be the first in the 84-year history of the RFDS to be dismissed for flying under the influence of illicit drugs.

Mr Di Marco said the RFDS had notified the Civil Aviation Safety Authority and the Australian Transport Safety Bureau about the incident. The matter had also been referred to the police.

"A number of investigations are under way. Until those investigations are complete, I can't comment further," he said.

CASA conducts random drug and alcohol testing on pilots across Australia and RFDS pilots are tested under that program.

Queensland's Chief Nursing Officer Frances Hughes said she was relieved the nurse, patients and pilot had landed safely.

"My concern now is to ensure the wellbeing of our nurse and the ongoing treatment of the patients who were on board," Dr Hughes said.

Mr Di Marco said the RFDS had been working with Queensland Health to support the nurse, believed to have taken leave after the incident.

"The patients have been contacted and support offered," he said.

Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young said any airborne incident, from turbulence to something more serious, could be stressful.

short-field
21st Nov 2012, 21:54
Since when has METHamphetamine been used to treat narcolepsy? DEXamphetamine perhaps?

neville_nobody
21st Nov 2012, 22:10
Not saying Wikpedia is the fountain of all Medical Knowledge but here's what they say..

Methamphetamine has found use as both a medicinal and recreational drug.

Medical use
Methamphetamine has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in treating ADHD and exogenous obesity (obesity originating from factors outside of the patient's control) in both adults and children.[9]
Methamphetamine is a Schedule II drug in the United States and is sold under the trademark name Desoxyn.[9]
Desoxyn may be prescribed off-label for the treatment of narcolepsy and treatment-resistant depression.[10]
Recreational use
Methamphetamine is used as a recreational drug for its euphoric and stimulant properties.

Would Dextroamphetamine also give you a positive test for Meth? It still a type of amphetamine. Not sure how all the testing works.

Kelly Slater
21st Nov 2012, 22:14
Can't have been a very good stimulant if he fell asleep.

ForkTailedDrKiller
21st Nov 2012, 23:35
Would Dextroamphetamine also give you a positive test for Meth?Yup! Amphetamine is amphetamine is amphetamine!

A bit off-topic, but interesting none-the-less! Back in the "old" days we used to give calamphetamine i/v to cows that were reluctant to get up after treatment for "milk fever". Worked a treat, but you had to be quick on your feet cause they got a bit excited! :E

Alas, it was taken off the market when it became popular as a recreational drug!

Dr :8

FGD135
21st Nov 2012, 23:47
... it is a disgrace that this guy got fired before they even had an investigation.

What makes you think there was no investigation Neville? The incident occurred on November 5, but only made it into the press on November 20.

Plenty of time for an investigation.

tail wheel
22nd Nov 2012, 00:30
I am sure this would not have made it into the media had it not been fully investigated and proven beyond all reasonable doubt by the employer, over the interveneing two weeks:

"A ROYAL Flying Doctor Service pilot allegedly passed out at the controls of a plane for 13 minutes while transporting patients, later testing positive to methamphetamine.

A nurse had to wake him as the plane flew to Brisbane during the airport's peak hour.

......the plane lost contact with Air Traffic Control for 13 minutes.

RFDS had been working with Queensland Health to support the nurse, believed to have taken leave after the incident."

OzzieH4U
22nd Nov 2012, 06:05
As I said before, I worked for the service for many years and turned 67 whilst still on the normal roster. I had no problems with fatigue so the practice is good.

Everything is in place to protect flight crew from even themselves. There are never any questions asked if I pilot says he is fatigued, so there is just no need to resort to illegal practices.

Jack Ranga
22nd Nov 2012, 06:09
Has Pelair got the QLD contract?

neville_nobody
22nd Nov 2012, 06:30
What makes you think there was no investigation Neville? The incident occurred on November 5, but only made it into the press on November 20.

Well this would be a bit if a giveaway...

A number of investigations are under way. Until those investigations are complete, I can't comment further," he said.

So he can't comment because of pending investigations including a Police one but he can fire the guy....

Not saying he's innocent but it's a bit rough.....

pohm1
22nd Nov 2012, 15:56
He may have made a full admission, hence the sacking straight away.

P1

Jabawocky
22nd Nov 2012, 21:03
Couple of things to think about here. This could be just like 9/11.

RFDS have a very good track record, sure some will find the odd bit hidden in the dark corners of the closet, but overall they have high standards, and high expectations of all their staff. Generally speaking a great operation.

They do not take in just any halfwit with a CPL, so this guy can't have been that dumb, although one wonders now stupid he was.

DAMP = FAIL

Casa if you are watching, that is FAIL.

Just like the moronic security rubbish we all suffer from as a knee jerk reaction to a small problem which was easily solved with just decent security and fitting the doors, we now have a mess.

So, after this rattles around the government and then the media again and so on, it is quite possible that DAMP, despite its best efforts and all the money thrown at it, will likely get an injection of cash to up the anti.

Of course this is great for those employed there, they have a more secure future, but it is a sad reality that no matter how much money and education thrown at this topic, it will fail again, and most likely not even make any improvement.

So look out boys and girls, more stupidity to follow for sure. And more waste of time and money that could be better spent elsewhere.

blackhand
22nd Nov 2012, 22:00
Coorect Jaba, and further to this the Drug Testing industry has now created a huge income for its self. Recently read that they are making in roads into testing school kids.
The Damp program in my company is costing a lot each year so can imagine the income for these people from the various mandatory testing regimes

Anthill
22nd Nov 2012, 22:53
I have been DAMP tested twice in the last 18 months. These were random tests, so it does happen.

I would like to make a comment regarding false positives. When I was being recruited for my current role, I had to attend a private clinic to provide a 'sample' for testing.

The nurse and I joked a little as I filled in the paperwork. The question arose: "do many pilots test positive"? Her response was that very few did and that those who fail DAMP testing tended to be cabin crew.

Upon testing my sample, the nurse's demeanor changed. She said that I had tested positive to opiate use. I denied that this could be the case. Her attitude was triumphant!: she had busted a pilot and she sneeringly informed me that the company would be notified immediately.

I continued to insist that the test result was wrong. She replied that the testing was very, very accurate and that the result was almost certainly conclusive.

At my insistance, I spoke to the Doctor in change of this clinic and asked for a re-test. He examined that test vial and the colouration had now changed from "positive" to "inconclusive". A new test was given to which I tested negative.

mcgrath50
22nd Nov 2012, 23:54
Anthill,

Had you eaten a roll with poppyseeds on it just prior to the test? That has caught a few people out before!

gaunty
23rd Nov 2012, 00:31
Poppy Seed rolls!

Always wondered why get a craving for one at lunch time.

Maybe it's my imagination but I seem to recall the large jar of poppy seeds in our pantry used for bakery was "unavailable" from the supplier for some time for reasons alleged to be drug related.

A close friend twice and shoulda been thrice Olympian was automatically banned for 2 years, 18 months out of the London ones for traces of a performance enhancing chemical that could only have come from the ingrediants routinely used in some food (FWIW it was an Asian meal) he consumed as a treat but was not on his approved list.

Now I don't condone drugs in any occupation but I would be disappointed if we are going in that direction for the day to day.

Off to make a poppyseed roll for lunch. Might even beef it up a bit with extra seeds:E

the_rookie
23rd Nov 2012, 01:42
Did i read somewhere the guy was mid 60's?

remoak
23rd Nov 2012, 05:43
As I said before, I worked for the service for many years and turned 67 whilst still on the normal roster. I had no problems with fatigue so the practice is good.

So just because you had no issues, the practice is automatically good? Pilots don't respond differently to circadian disruption and fatigue, as the rest of the population do?

Give me strength... :ugh::ugh::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Dangly Bits
23rd Nov 2012, 07:58
Oh I know a mid sixties RFDS pilot from Bundy. I truly hope it isn't him.

DB

Stationair8
25th Nov 2012, 04:07
Obviously didn't like the locally produced Bundy Rum.

RFDS-Reserve Fly Drugs Sleep.

Jack Ranga
25th Nov 2012, 10:54
Seeing as we are talking about DAMP. I was recently randomly 'selected' to be tested. I was on a morning shift, 6am start, I knew from about 8am that I was to be tested. The test didn't occur until about 1pm (as far as I know it was one bloke doing the testing).

Now if you cutting it a bit fine i.e. having a few beers the night before, you would be more than likely to test positive @ 6am with it wearing off 8,9,10am?

I fully support random drug and alcohol testing, FULLY support it. But if you are going to do it properly, you tap someone on the shoulder and say 'here, breath into this' not give them the opportunity to ingest something as a cover. 'I just cleaned my teeth' 'I just had a poppy seed muffin' which I have seen for sale at our canteen.

Drug takers and alcoholics are sneaky little ****ers. Following a privacy rights regime and under resourcing are easy to beat. A lot of the time people that are caught are the ones that 'want to be caught'

DAMP as it stands is a crock of ****, a box ticking exercise.
Fatigue management is a crock of **** as it stands and is a box ticking exercise.
ASIC's and ASIC controlled aerodromes are a crock of ****, a box ticking exercise and incredibly easy to bypass.

Horrendously expensive and incredibly ineffective. Somebody's making a fortune out of it and the public is feeling all warm and gooey.

YPJT
25th Nov 2012, 11:50
DAMP as it stands is a crock of ****, a box ticking exercise.
:ok:
ASIC's and ASIC controlled aerodromes are a crock of ****, a box ticking exercise and incredibly easy to bypass:ok::ok:
Spot on with both of those statements Jack but unfortunately I don't think we are going to see any relaxation of either regime in our time.

Jabawocky
25th Nov 2012, 12:21
Jack, not for PM :ok: but minister for Transport and all thingaviation :D

compressor stall
25th Nov 2012, 12:28
Should this episode actually be drug related, wait for the DAMP people start sprouting about how their program worked as a pilot was detected.

Trouble is it appears as though it didn't detect anything until after the pilot's passing out raised alarm bells.

Sunfish
25th Nov 2012, 16:47
I would test positive for opiates right now.

Three weeks ago - gastroscopy - anesthetic = fentanyl.

Two weeks ago - minor skin cancer surgery - fentanyl followed by panadiene.

Today the last hurdle - colonoscopy :uhoh:

Would I have some explaining to do?

Tinstaafl
25th Nov 2012, 19:41
Well said, Stallie! Not to mention the cost & bother for so few results in general yet failing to prevent this possible instance.

Wunwing
25th Nov 2012, 19:58
This may take the thread away from DAMP for pilots, but it does indicate that the whole system is flawed.

The DAMP system is based around pilots and assumes that everyone including pilots is in perfect health.We all know that is not the case and even pilots are on regular (legally supplied and DAME approved) medications.But there are many duties in aviation that do not require perfect health.When all this started one CASA example was "the person washing the airport refuelling truck".Can anyone explain why that person can't be on a serious painkiller for say arthritis which will test positive for an opiate?

When I put that to CASA they said they were only doing what other industries are doing.However it appears that there are levels of health in railways with operational staff on a different level. In our industry we tacitly accept this as indicated by the fact that the only license medicals required by CASA, is for pilots. We even acccept different levels for pilots.Why do we then accept one industry standard for DAMP?

Under DAMP you could be on a prescribed medication and working as a LAME. If you are tested and found positive you go through the whole process of being stood down, medical review and reinstated. You then can be tested on your first day back and have to go through the whole process ad infinitum.
The system for anyone who has a medical condition which requires a medication that might test positive is a nightmare which CASA seems to have no interest in sorting out.

As a DAMP supervisor I find the whole system to be ill conceived and a paperwork war that in the end fails to acheive a great deal.

Wunwing

owen meaney
25th Nov 2012, 20:33
The drug testing regime seems to me to be an enforcement of lifestyle choices.
A test for extant primary substance in a persons body is oral fluid and breathe test.
This tells me if the person has drank alchohol or used drugs in the last 12 - 24 hours.
Urine analysis tells me if the person has used drugs in the previous weeks. Urine tests for metabolites of the substance not the substance its self. Urine test does not show that the person is under the influence at time of the test.

neville_nobody
25th Nov 2012, 21:25
As a DAMP supervisor I find the whole system to be ill conceived and a paperwork war that in the end fails to acheive a great deal.

But does create more work and another empire for CASA which is what they are really about.

Wunwing
25th Nov 2012, 23:01
om.
Being on a medication that is prescribed by a doctor for a medical condition is not a lifestyle choice. In many cases its a life and death decision if you feel pressured not to take your prescribed medication.

The problem with the current DAMP process is that it assumes that all positive tests are an offence even if there is a valid medical reason. There is no provision for registering the fact that you are on a legally prescribed medication that has been determined by a CASA approved doctor to not have any effect on your work performance.

For some time there was a DAMP video that actually said that if you tested positive for any drug you had committed an offence. It now seemsto have been removed but I suspect that is still CASA's position. This CASA position seems to be questionable under the Human Rights Legislation.

As I said in the earlier post CASA is trying to work with a one "size" fits all system which in actual fact is a multi "size" environment. At the same time we have a stated Federal Govt aim to extend the working life of all Austalians and not discriminate by a number of categories including age and medical condition.

Wunwing

Towering Q
26th Nov 2012, 03:06
Today the last hurdle - colonoscopy

Hmmmm....colonoscopy and DAMP, I can see similaritys there.:E

Howard Hughes
26th Nov 2012, 04:53
Should this episode actually be drug related, wait for the DAMP people start sprouting about how their program worked as a pilot was detected.

Trouble is it appears as though it didn't detect anything until after the pilot's passing out raised alarm bells.
This can only end badly for aviation...

What a great job we are doing! This is proof DAMP is working! More funding anyone? :{

owen meaney
26th Nov 2012, 05:41
No more cocaine and whiskey for breakfast then