PDA

View Full Version : Pvr and return of service

kc1
19th Nov 2012, 19:03
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any facts regarding return of service if you pvr!

Thanks

AutoBit
19th Nov 2012, 19:25
If you have a return of service you'll need to see it through until you can leave. You can submit a PVR then try and negotiate with manning, but they're under no obligation to help you out, and I don't know of many RoS that have been waived.
Prob not the answer you're looking for I'm afraid.

Tashengurt
19th Nov 2012, 19:33
I know I had to do 18 months after PVR'ing.

R-A-F-Off
19th Nov 2012, 20:40
If you're fresh out of a training course of some kind there may be a ROS; otherwise it may just be the standard 12 month wait (negotiable) without Flying Pay (assuming you get it).

Big Cat Handler
19th Nov 2012, 21:05
Worst case - your PVR is accepted, you lose your flying pay, but your exit date isn't until your RoS has expired anyway!

Avtur
19th Nov 2012, 23:40
This question crops up periodically with usually a mixed bag of answers, none of which seem to do just that.

Having done an RAF post-grad course 20 years into my career that required 3 yrs ROS, I never remeber signing anything to contract myself to that requirement. Does one need to sign anything, or is there some red tape that (bar your desky not letting you leave) legally prevents you leaving? Does undertaking the course somehow contract you legally to the ROS, and if so, should this be articulated prior to commencement? I do wonder if any such non-signed contracts are legally binding and could be upheld in court should someone be determined to leave early.

It would be good to know the answer to this recurring and important question.

Climebear
20th Nov 2012, 08:18
IIRC the legal position on this was different for officers and airmen.

PVR was not considered 'a right' or an 'entitlement'. However, airmen do have the legal right to give 18 months notice from 3 years after completing trade training. This is detailed in the RAF Terms of Service Regulations - a statutory instrument (2007 No 650). There is, therefore, a legal requirement for an airmen to waive this right, in writing, before they attend a course that attracts a training ROS.

IIRC the DIN on Trg ROS (that is reissued annually) extends this requirement to gain a written approval to officers as - although not required legally - it was seen as appropriate for courses after initial training (for aircrew, initial training includes their first OCU).

So for officers, no legal right to leave before an option point. However, if an individual has not signed iaw the DIN then a decision to enforce an trg ROS could be challenged due to a breach of MOD process.

For airmen, if they have not formally waived their right, the Service cannot stop them leaving under NGR.

I'm afraid that I'm not at work at the moment so I can not look up the current DIN and let you know the number. But, I hope that that is useful.

RAF Terms of Service Regulations (airmen only): http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2007/650/contents/made

kc1
20th Nov 2012, 08:53
Thankyou for the information. I will look for the DIN when I go back to work. Does anyone know in this new world of JPA where this mystical ROS contract might be held if at all?

PPRuNeUser0211
20th Nov 2012, 09:48
Check your assignment orders on JPA. Frequently they have something along the lines of "By acknowledging this assignment order you agree to XYZ"

Climebear
20th Nov 2012, 09:50
Thankyou for the information. I will look for the DIN when I go back to work. Does anyone know in this new world of JPA where this mystical ROS contract might be held if at all?

IIRC your signed acceptance of a trg ROS should be retained on your personal file held by the deskie in Manning. (you can get copies of this by submitting a DPA request).

Tiger_mate
20th Nov 2012, 15:34
On my JPA in the section were all the various one sided contracts of employment are listed, mine includes an earliest departure day based upon an OCU that I never started and therefore did not finish. I cant be bothered to make a song and dance about it but it is wrong and I would challenge it if I wanted a quick exit. This may be the logic behind not giving over 50 year olds a new aircraft type because they can give a few months notice and walk off into the sunset on resettlement almost immediatley.

globefan
20th Nov 2012, 20:57
IIRC your signed acceptance of a trg ROS should be retained on your personal file held by the deskie in Manning. (you can get copies of this by submitting a DPA request).

Or b) you could do that crazy thing and requesta copy from your big bad desk officer......

Climebear
20th Nov 2012, 22:05

Or b) you could do that crazy thing and requesta copy from your big bad desk officer......

Of course he or she could. Then again, if they have a good relationship with their deskie they could just ask the bloke at Manning the original question rather than post it in here.

JliderPilot
20th Nov 2012, 22:30
I pvr'd last year from an exchange tour and they held me to serve just over 14 months. That was because of the difficulty in filling the exchange job though. I think the max is 18 months but it is up to them really. Guys are right in saying that your assignment order may have an ROS. if it was dated a couple of years ago then maybe not...manning were not that clever then (in my experience). however lately they have been sharpening up their act.

I know of a few guys who managed to leave after just 6-7 months but that was last year.

Being in mind you have to take your resettlement/terminal/other leave so remember to work all that out. For me it was over 5 months of leave as I carried a bit of leave over as well.

unfortunately we have to cut ourselves free before having a firm offer of employment. it can be difficult to time it right. Good luck with the transition, it worked for me and many other that i know:ok: