PDA

View Full Version : Overflight Permit to Egypt

Skysurfer1
19th Nov 2012, 13:05
Hello PPrunners,

Just wondering if anyone has any information on how to obtain an permit to fly into Egypt. I have tried their Civil Aviation website, but it comes up only in Egyptian.

I have found some websites to be helpful in documents needed. Do I need to contact the Egyptian embassy?

If anyone has every done flights into Egypt (with a small AOC company) and can lead me in the right direction. I have never done this and will be flight planning to Egypt in a few weeks time.

Thank you.

Skysurfer

dc9-32
19th Nov 2012, 16:15
Use of an agent in Egypt is mandatory.

I can obtain for you. PM me with your contact details.

I.R.PIRATE
19th Nov 2012, 21:22
Yes, the overflight / landing permit must be done through a local handler.

Can recommend Z-Aviation Services or National (Ahlan)

VP8
19th Nov 2012, 23:03
Second Z.A.S. excellent service ;)

Skysurfer1
20th Nov 2012, 06:37
Thank you!

I will look into what you all have recommended.

Is there anyway you can do it directly yourself? I am a flight planner and want to learn to do them on my own, so I can provide that service myself.

Cheers,

Skysurfer

merlinxx
20th Nov 2012, 07:38
There are plenty of agents for Egyptian permits/fees etc., The Zarkarni (ZAS) family have been around for very many years, in the 1960s t'was green beans & new potatoes inbound by air ;~)

500 above
20th Nov 2012, 09:18
Tiger Aviation (TAS) are far more efficient than Z-Aviation (ZAS).

VP8
20th Nov 2012, 21:10
OOh I dont know ZAS usually have an overflight permit within 1hr for non contentious cargos and ferry flights!!

dc9-32
21st Nov 2012, 06:17
Skysurfer - for countries like Egypt, Jordan, India etc you must use an agent but not necessarily a local one. Countries like Belarus, Iraq, Oman, UAE, Russia and so on, you can contact directly with the CAA office.

People like me an VP8 have built up a good reputation with CAA offices world-wide so we know the tricks of trade inside out !

Although some permits are easy to obtain, it can become messy when making last minute changes so bear that in mind when deciding to use an agent or not. A $$$$ spent on an agent can make your job a whole lot easier. Sometimes though, a quick call to the CAA can resolve any last minute change. Iraq, Oman, Myanmar all very helpful.

Even European countries can be a challenge to secure overfly permits but if you have the right contacts, then it is a straight forward process.

500 above
21st Nov 2012, 10:31
TAS get the permit quickly also. They are also better to work with on the ground and have a decent crew room in Cairo. We've used both extensively. If only the follow me drivers were as quick... In Alexandria, Borg el Arab, Marsa Alam, Port Said etc its much of a muchness. Both work as advertised.

Skysurfer1
30th Nov 2012, 19:33
Hello All,

Thank you for all your advice.

I need to file a flight plan from Heraklion to Cairo. Do I just do that from NATS AFPEX or do I need to do it elsewhere? I need to do this outbound and inbound.

Thanks!!

Skysurfer

avionimc
30th Nov 2012, 19:37
I used AN-Aviation (http://www.an-aviation.com). Very efficient and easy to work with!

dc9-32
1st Dec 2012, 06:44
AN Aviation get my approval too.

regarding filing the flight plan, you can file from any system so long as you have the correct AFTN addresses. Your agent in CAI will need to file locally also.

500 above
1st Dec 2012, 07:14
We use homebriefing to file inbound to Egypt and local to file outbound.

Without looking at the route manuals, I'd expect a SITia departure then via UL607 PAXIS - A727 AXD - A727 MENKU - A727 CVO. 455 NM.

OR

SITia departure then via UG400 KUMBI - G400 BLT - A16 CVO. 470 NM.

Cairo tend to descend you slightly early. Usually 05C for landing, 05L for takeoff. Departures for us are usually radar vectored, as are Stars, probably notams for no stars - haven't checked for a while. Hall 4 is the corporate terminal, what are you flying?

Follow me trucks are possibly the slowest of anywhere I've seen, and only take you 200m! Give yourself a good taxi brief before hand - get the stand number nice and early from the handlers. Watch the fuellers like a hawk, they'll overfill you in a minute given half a chance. Don't expect any airway directs from the Egyptians.

Oh, and you will be paying for a baggage trolley and 'unskilled labour' even if you don't use them.