PDA

View Full Version : Flying Training in Brisbane

Oracle1
19th Nov 2012, 10:39
I have searched the threads on this subject and yes its been answered before but none of the threads seem current.

I am an RAA pilot with a cross country rating that originally learnt to fly in gliders and drifters and then put on 100 hours or so in a Jabiru. TT about 200. I have since bought myself a c172 and I am looking for a good school to convert to a PPL and possibly a CPL later on. I have no interest in flying for the airlines but would like fly light twins piston or turbine. I currently make a living from aircraft maintenance so I understand most things about the industry, but I want to fly more than fix. I am looking for a school that will accept my previous experience and build from there, would prefer someone to teach me in my own aircraft.

Archerfield is first preference from a logistics point of view but any advice gratefully accepted

MakeItHappenCaptain
19th Nov 2012, 15:14
Go see Brian Westin at Southern Skies, next door to the pilot shop near the old terminal building. No-one will dispute he is one of the most respected guys on the field.

mates rates
19th Nov 2012, 21:14
i agree Southern Skies Aviation is the ONLY place to go at Archerfield.

spinex
20th Nov 2012, 00:57
One consideration from the point of view of converting RAA to GA, is that Flight One have a close relationship with the local RAA school, Pathfinder and are less inclined than most to want to reinvent the training wheel.

Can't comment about Southern Skies attitude but in general I've found GA schools are inclined to look down their noses at RAA training, certainly not always justified. I went the other way around but have seen several friends go through the exercise, so have a certain amount of insight.

Jabawocky
20th Nov 2012, 02:01
Aero Dynamic Flight Academy at YCAB if you don't mind the northside travel.

seavenom
20th Nov 2012, 02:20
Where ever you decide to go, get your PPL theory exam done ASAP, get a medical and apply for your SPL pronto.:)

Zoomy
20th Nov 2012, 05:58
i agree Southern Skies Aviation is the ONLY place to go at Archerfield.

Solid advice, solid instructional methods and loads of fun along the way. You will be pleasantly suprised, that such a knowledgeable and very experienced instructor, who dedicates passion in all that he does, still exists.

I agree with mates rates, do yourself a favour and give Brian a call.:ok:

Oracle1
20th Nov 2012, 09:46
Thanks for all the replies and I will go and have a talk to all the recommendations to see what sort of a feeling I get from them :ok:

hiwaytohell
22nd Nov 2012, 02:20
Jaba.. could you expand a bit more re Aero Dynamic... their website does not say much relevant

And Zoomy could you expand more on Southern Skies... again another hopeless website!

I have been recommending Redcliffe Aero Club for years, but feel they have dropped the ball a bit last few years.

My mate's daughter and accountant were asking me for recommendations and in all conscience could not!

Oracle1
22nd Nov 2012, 03:25
The better the website the worse the organisation has been my experience outside aviation

Zoomy
22nd Nov 2012, 05:21
Hi Highwayto hell,

Websites and glossy mags are not always representitive of a good school. Plenty of folk could attest to having a beautifully design glossy folder with an Airbus on it only to find out that $$$$ later they have still not achieved their goal.

My recommendation to everyone considering flying lessons is to walk in the door, meet people, get a feel for how you will be treated through your training. Its a lot of money to spend and relying on a glossy folder or website will only give you grief.

hiwaytohell
22nd Nov 2012, 06:00
Yeah know all that, but Southern Skies website says nothing about training!

Last time I did anything at Archerfield was an IFR renewal with Arena 10 years ago.

So a little bit more advanced info would be helpful, if you can.

MCKES
22nd Nov 2012, 06:33
Introduction to Southern Skies Aviation (http://ssaflying.net/introduction%20to%20training.htm)

MakeItHappenCaptain
22nd Nov 2012, 06:34
Must be an old photo... He has more hair there!:}

MCKES
22nd Nov 2012, 06:38
You'll also find between Brian and Mike there is an experience pool of around 40 000 Hours On everything from 150's to Heavy Metal. Over a period we wont even mention how long.

Tumachica
18th Sep 2017, 04:57
Hi guys,

Found this post and would like to confirm if Southern Skies Aviation still a good place for training in Archerfield? Are the aircraft in good care and are the instructors good in teaching new comers?

Thank you.

megle2
18th Sep 2017, 08:29
Another choice, David St John has a flying school at Archerfield, Davirsi-fly
Plenty of experience