PDA

View Full Version : A320 Autoland Light

Neupielot
18th Nov 2012, 23:55
Is it required to check the serviceability of the autoland light (red flashing light) prior to conducting an autoland?

I've flown with a captain that says it is required....but I was never taught that.

I will ask one of the trainers when I next fly with one...in the meantime, is it required for you guys?

Thanks.

Neupielot
19th Nov 2012, 06:12
Hi,

Thanks so much. So it's not (really) required to check then.

Cheers.:ok:

Endeavour
19th Nov 2012, 06:50
It all depends on what your Ops manual says. It was not a requirement to check at my previous airline, however my current employers ops manual states:

AUTOLAND LIGHT TEST. Select the LS deviation scales on each PFD. Depress the AutoLand Light. Red autoland lights and LS deviation scales flash.

This is done during the approach briefing.

PENKO
19th Nov 2012, 08:24
Your ops manuals should clearly state this. Don't just trust what PPRuNers say, but ask this captain for a reference to his supposed SOP. If he cannot give the reference, it is probably not SOP.

AvroRider
19th Nov 2012, 17:25
Within my company in our QRH we have some CAT II/III guidelines (yellow pages) where we go trough before any CAT II/III approach.

Here is a short Copy/Past

PRIOR TO OR DURING DESCENT

CM1 is PF.
Check airfield facilities status (CAT III RWY, Notams,...).
Check aircraft STS page & table of requirements (A/C malfunction).
Press / check Autoland warning annunciators.
Determine applicable minimas (States minimas).
Check / Set “NO” in DH box on MCDU “PERF APPR” page.
Review approach / missed approach and go around procedures. Review airport low visibility procedures.
Review CM1 and CM2 call-outs during APPR.
Review procedures in case of malfunction during APPR:
Refer to FCOM PRO-NOR-SRP-01 FMS Approach (Failures and associated actions).

We press and check it with the LS option ON to see the LOC/GS scale blinking. And we do it on both sides (CPT and FO).

It will most probably one day save your ass as EcamSurprise stated.