PDA

View Full Version : Are Chinese airliners really on their way in?

Steerey
17th Nov 2012, 12:16
Hi all,

Was just reading about the Chinese aircraft being tested (arj21 and c919) and wanted to guage what the general consensus was regarding them (will they be safe/efficient/covered in lead paint?). I don't know much besides Mr O'leary seems keen on getting some.

Thanks, looking forward to learning a bit more on this!

Piltdown Man
17th Nov 2012, 13:16
Yes and Yes and probably cheap too. And MOL will attempt to use the threat of buying Chinese to persuade Mr Boeing to lower his prices. But I don't think Mr Boeing is worried and after all, they'll be looking for a payback. Allegedly he said "we raped Boeing over the price" on his last order placed just after 9/11. Airbus aren't playing and in Flight Global he was quoted saying "We are in ongoing discussions with Boeing and as soon as we can reach an agreement on price we'll place an order. It could be the -800 or the Max, whichever they discount the most - we'd buy a dog if it was cheap enough. We'd like to place an order, but only when the price is right."

Remember, you don't just buy planes. You buy a support package which includes training, spares, documentation, performance guarantees etc. I'll suggest that COMAC won't agree to the terms MOL insists on - He'll then call the Chinese stupid, walk away and then remember he has still has to buy some aircraft. Mr Boeing will then insist MOL lowers his trousers...

We live in interesting times.

PM

Steerey
17th Nov 2012, 13:29
Interesting indeed.

I am aware of Mr O'leary's purchasing tactic ("get them feckin cheap") but is the airline not sparing any thought for dispatch reliability? Presumably a chinese aircraft won't be as reliable as a B737, more like a Soviet plane. I can't see Ryr being half as profitable using Tu204s!

cockney steve
17th Nov 2012, 20:53
I don,t know WHY supposedly intelligent people insist that everything Chinese is crap (except their food)
Truth is, they'll match the quality to the PRICE THE CUSTOMER IS PREPARED TO PAY.

most want cheap- they get it! those that pay for quality will get it.
"bait and switch" just wouldn't work with an airliner and the loss of face and revenues would be more than they would be willing to accept.

MOL is a really shrewd businessman....that's why he runs shiny new jets instead of clapped-out heaps....the total cost is less, the punters and shareholders are happy and after he's had the wear out of them, he's still got an economical, saleable asset............he'll buy Chinese IF it makes sense.

just my worthless opinion! :}

Romulus
17th Nov 2012, 21:22
Given Boeing outsourced the wing of the 787 to Chinese companies it may well happen at the high end earlier than you think...

DaveReidUK
17th Nov 2012, 23:24
Given Boeing outsourced the wing of the 787 to Chinese companies

That will be news to Boeing.

pwalhx
18th Nov 2012, 08:07
If you have been to China, as I have many times over the last 15 years, you will know there are lots of factories that will produce cheap crap if that is what the customer wants.

However you will also know there are manufacturing facilities that can match anything the so called first world can offer.

So if they do supply aircraft to Ryanair you can be pretty sure they will be built to standard.

N707ZS
18th Nov 2012, 08:19
Just look at the number of Brazilian aircraft flying about, who would of thought they would of done it when they started with aircraft like the bandit.

robtheblade
18th Nov 2012, 19:06
A couple of weeks ago Ihad the double whammy of flying in a Chinese plane, MA60, owned byMerpati. The seatbelts were definitely inferior to any I had usedbefore and the carpets by the emergency exits were lifting. This in aplane only a few months old. I can only compare the interior to thatof a Fiat Panda.