PDA

View Full Version : First Flight In A Chipmunk

Flyer517
17th Nov 2012, 10:18
Well I finally managed to get an hour of dual in a Chippy today after years of wanting to. I had actually booked to do an hour in a Tiger but as it was U/S, had to change at the last minute.

I'm kicking myself for not doing this sooner. I know they call it the poor man's Spitfire, but my God that thing is a joy to fly. I'd be surprised if I managed more than 30 seconds straight and level at any one time.

Now why on earth couldn't Cessna or Piper build something that carries 4 people a decent distance and handles that well?!? I wonder what improvement there would be in the conversion rate for TIFs.

Anyway, back to working out what I can sell to get the money for my own....:(

iskra13
17th Nov 2012, 10:23
Now why on earth couldn't De Havilland build something that carries a conti or a lyc up the front.

Fixed that one for you mate.

Flyer517
17th Nov 2012, 10:32
Aaahh Touche!

Flying Bull
17th Nov 2012, 10:48
Still remember my first flight and later my first solo, both on a Chipmunk.
Great little plane
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=Qkk9b31BBX4
Greetings Flying Bull

gaunty
18th Nov 2012, 02:01
Aaaaaaaah:):ok:

Learned to fly and soloed in the days when they were the ship du jour, they made real pilots. The first C150 came along and every one, myself included, couldn't wait to get their mits on them and their bigger flashy sisters with that Landomatic gear.

Coming back to Glen Caples RHW many years later showed me what a privilege it had been and in retrospect I should have stayed on.

The reunion took place 20 years later straight after demoing a new C210. The late Bruce Carter after regaining his composure commented that he had never seen the runway lights used as a slalom course before and reminded me that this was a lady and fingertips and tippy toes all that were required. Took every available opportunity afterwards.

Piano Man
18th Nov 2012, 02:21
Quote:
Now why on earth couldn't De Havilland build something that carries a conti or a lyc up the front.
Fixed that one for you mate.

Because a junior wasp radial was more appropriate :}

Ex FSO GRIFFO
18th Nov 2012, 02:59
And where did you manage to enjoy this wonderful experience Mr Flyer..??

Congrats, by the way...:ok:

iskra13
18th Nov 2012, 07:19
Because a junior wasp radial was more appropriate

Well played sir.

Flyer517
18th Nov 2012, 09:16
Thanks Griffo.

It was from Airborne out of Camden. Can't complain about the service either; a great bunch out there :)

Ex FSO GRIFFO
18th Nov 2012, 10:07
Thanks Mr Flier,

Just curious is all. I have both a Chippy and a Tiger Moth in WA, available, and if you were over this way, I could have offerred you the 'missing' Tiger ride as well, complimentary....

Have Fun, there are a few nice Chippies still around and 'available'...

Cheers:ok:

M14_P
18th Nov 2012, 18:16
I love posts like this - and all the enthusiasts and fellow fliers come out of the woodwork. As others have said, what's not to like about the Chippie. Gorgeous, gorgeous aeroplane to fly. It was my first taildragger to log time in and probably still the best. :)
I am more in the Tiger camp, but everything from De Haviland was pretty. Taumaranui, for those in NZ, is a must see. We flew in this year and had an absolute blast.

Personally, I spend a good deal of my time flying older aeroplanes and particularly Tigers - but for everyone else who is thinking about having a go, don't, just do it. There are plenty of owners/instructors who are only to happy to show spam canner's what real flying is. The problem, is you will be hooked. :8

tinpis
18th Nov 2012, 21:40
I doubt there have been any changes :hmm:
Witnessed some brilliant Harvard there one time Ted Arundel I believe

NZ FOLK SONG * Taumarunui on the Main Trunk Line (http://folksong.org.nz/taumarunui/index.html)

Flyer517
18th Nov 2012, 21:59
Thanks Griffo for the incredibly generous offer. What shame I am on the other side of the country. If I'm ever over that way I'll drop you a line. Sounds like you are twice blessed with both a Chippy and a Tiger.

M14: Yeah it took my taildragger cherry too. I must say it was a challenge on the ground. In the air it's a different story. Such a complete difference to what I am used to.

avcraft
19th Nov 2012, 01:34
Hey M14, how was Taumaranui? Was going to take the Auster for it's (and my) maiden run there but didn't quite get around to it...