PDA

View Full Version : Baltic Aviation Academy

sabwal
16th Nov 2012, 19:44
Hi there !
I want to study and prepare for my ATPL , and I am interested in Baltic Aviation Academy (BAA) in Lithuania . But I'm quite scary if the license of BAA doesn't have a real value, I mean i'm scary if the License of BAA is not really approved from a lot of airlines and countries. Well, would you min giving me your advice, your opinion about this school, and also personnal experience from those who studied in BAA. Is it a good choice to study there ?
Thanks a lot and have a nice day !

P40Warhawk
5th Dec 2012, 10:13
Hi,

Well answer on your question about license:
- It is an JAA approved license. So a license like in any other country in Europe. So if you have a JAA license, you can apply for a job almost anywhere in the world.

I am second year student of BAA.
Till now I am very happy that I chose to do my training at BAA.
Why? :
- School is part of big Aviation Company, with ground handling, TRTO for 22 types of aircraft, such as Boeing and Airbus, and more.
- The school is very professional, with a very good management and great employees.
- Whenever you need help in anything, they will always try to help you out. Finding apartment , or whatsoever.
- The Instructors speak very well English. LPE 6.
- Flying with new Aircraft.
- Lithuania is a very nice country, with great people.

If you have anymore questions, don't hassitate to ask ;) .

Btw, I was reading already a long time on Pprune but had no account, so that is why this is my first message, :D .

No RYR for me
6th Dec 2012, 09:50
If in doubt always make sure you don't pre pay the full amount but pay as you go. Good luck on your decision. :ok:

portos8
6th Dec 2012, 10:58
Point is that there are real opportunities to save a lot of money when training in Central/ Eastern Europe while still obtaining a full EASA license. A lot of the time you do not pay any VAT so the training is cheaper, the land climate is more stable than the UK sea climate and some organisations offer quality training. As everywhere, there are "good" and "bad" companies out there.

Never pay anything up front and visit them before you make any decision. If you are in for the ATPL training, visit a bunch of them and compare. Wizz air flies for cheap to many of the airfields these organisations operate from.

Ask for references from current/former students that are from your own country (they will be able to tell you how a license conversion/issue works when you get back home, try to even meet them), check their JAA/EASA approval, meet the instructors (check if they speak English) and check out their accommodation.

Then decide what airfield you want to train from (controlled/uncontrolled), aircraft type etc. Ask them about the theory training too. Can you do the PPL exams in English, what kind of program they have for the ATPL theory and what are the dates/conditions for the ATPL theory exams.

Take an intro flight to see if the aircraft you see can actually be used:ugh: Check their registration with the local CAA.

Sure you'll be able to compile your own checklist from this;)

Take your time to make a balanced and well informed decision, good luck!:ok:

P40Warhawk
6th Dec 2012, 20:43
Well I can Answer a couple of these checklist points.

For extra info:
The school itself started 3 years ago, but is part of a big Aviation Company which is excisting for 20 years.
Myself I am the first ATPL integrated class. We started in October 2011.
A school year starts usually for integrated in September, because flying season is relatively short, so we start with theory , and in spring you start to fly. After flying you do Theory Exams for ATPL or if you are ready you can do it in summer. Whatever feels good.

For ATPL theory, we use Bristol Ground School.
For PPL I dont know for sure.
-You can do also Modular PPL full time theory or distance learning.
- If you have PPL you can do also ATPL theory with distance learning and do extra modules to get all your licenses to become Commercial or Cival Airline Pilot.

Exams:
PPL:
- Will be in English or Lithuanian.
- You can make an appointment whenever fits you the best.
- Exam days are Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.

ATPL:
- 6 sessions.
So a session is 10 days, so since you have 3 days per week exams, you have approx. 3,5 week.
- You start a session whenever you want in the year. And you can choose the subjects which you are ready for.
- The CAA is as you can see very flexible with planning.

Payment:
- You pay only in small parts per phase of training. So no huge payments.

Visiting:
- No problem. Wizz Air Flies from Vilnius int to many citties in Europe.
- Besides. You can contact BAA and they will arrange your stay, and you can see the school with your own eyes and the people who work there. Instructors aswell other employees and the students.

Accomodation:
- School offers couple of possibilities.
- Such as a student hotel / Guesthouse, with own kitchen or shared kitchens.
- Or if you want your own apartment or you can share apartment with students. Whatever you wish.

Flying Phase:
- We fly from EYKS > Kaunas Aleksotas Aerodrome. That is an aerodrome with 1100m long paved runway uncontrolled. Though, during day time we have someone in a small tower.
- When practicing with controlled Airfields, we have Kaunas Int. a few NM from our aerodrome and we work also with Vilnius Int. And very rarely to Siauliai or Palanga.

Aircraft:
- 3 x Technam P2002JF from May 2012. There will maybe come more of these. For VFR flight and basic IR introduction, but no full IR training, because they are not certified for that. They have Garmin GPS GDU 375. Reg. numbers LY-BAH , LY-BAI, LY-BAJ.
- 1X Cessna 150.
- IR with Cessna 172, to come in 2013.
- ME Technam P2006 will come in 2013.
- Simulator IR . FNPTII.
- MCC Boeing 737 or Airbus A320, both in our school building. Both are Level D Full Motion. This has to do with the fact that as I said before, that our school is also TRTO.

License:
- Since it is JAA / EASA Approved, you don't need to convert or whatsoever.

Hope I gave a clear view of the school from my point of view as a 2nd years student :D .

Regards from Lithuania :D .