PDA

View Full Version : Current Issue RAF Nav Bag wanted

ABL262
16th Nov 2012, 18:39
I am looking to purchase a current issue RAF Nav Bag in good condition. Anybody out there prepared to sell me theirs plus donation to RAFBF or H4H? Thanks for listening.

essexlad
16th Nov 2012, 19:46
Nav bags arent issued items anymore as far as im aware. We have always been making them up for aircrew from scrap coverall knee pockets and other materials? Bit a ballache to do but its well worth the copious ammounts of biscuits for the crew room

vascodegama
17th Nov 2012, 06:57
AB

PM me I have said item available

jayc530
17th Nov 2012, 07:40
The current issue Nav bag is my opinion rubbish, made from cheap, poor quality materials and tends to fall apart after little use, nothing at all like the previous canvas and leather bag. I've had two in a little over two years. Save your cash and get a commercial pilots bag.

MrBernoulli
17th Nov 2012, 07:55
ABL262, you haven't yet said why you want one - care to comment? Just as importantly, should any RAF aircrew actually be handing over such equipment, (dubious quality or not) to folk who aren't members of HM Forces?

5aday
17th Nov 2012, 08:03
Even better still, buy a leather Jepperson. Several sizes - the narrow one is good for the 73 and 75. The wide one is good for the 767 and -400. Don't know about
scarebus. Agreed, the old 'real nav bag' goes on for ever but I gave mine to a begging newbee. If you ferried out of DHC you usually got given a leather one on the ship on the ships inventory. Passing through Gander, briefing often asked if you wanted the inventory photocopied and the leather bag sno paked out as the airplane's eventual customer had no idea. My leather jep is still in the study is where I parked it on retirement. Never used it since but we now have a grandson. Hope springs eternal.
:ok:

Ps. Try Silvermans ?

P6 Driver
17th Nov 2012, 08:51
ABL262, you haven't yet said why you want one - care to comment? Just as
importantly, should any RAF aircrew actually be handing over such equipment,
(dubious quality or not) to folk who aren't members of HM Forces?

Up to now I've never really thought of mine as a secure item!
:)

Wensleydale
17th Nov 2012, 08:59
I once sold one to a chap called Stauffenburg. He seemed like a nice sort.

Lima Juliet
17th Nov 2012, 11:40
The new ones, as said previously, are sh!te. The carrying handles are made of plastic and fall off after about 3 weeks and the leather satchel type buckles are now plastic clips. I bought a nylon Jeppesen bag instead and it's still going strong 5 years later.

Save your cash me old :ok:

LJ

PS. Here is one on E-bay NEW RAF NAV BAG Navigators Pilot Flight Case British Royal Air Force | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-RAF-NAV-BAG-Navigators-Pilot-Flight-Case-British-Royal-Air-Force-/200805815233)

ShyTorque
17th Nov 2012, 15:50
Somewhere in my loft is an unused, traditional canvas and leather, blue grey nav bag.. Still in it's plastic bag last time I looked it up......it's been there for nearly two decades now.

But in civvie street I prefer my rigid sided pilots' case because it protects my laptop and stuff far better.

Whopity
17th Nov 2012, 21:10
to folk who aren't members of HM Forces? For many years RAF Nav Bags were issued to CAA staff who were definitely not members of HM Forces.

It is now many years since the traditional grey solid Nav Bag was replaced by the Slack Alice version. Then there was the Fast Jet Handbag!

NutLoose
17th Nov 2012, 21:28
One of the grey ones here,

RAF NAVIGATORS BRIEFCASE | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAF-NAVIGATORS-BRIEFCASE-/271057186232?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3 D27%26meid%3D3532961843024594169%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011 %26rk%3D3%26sd%3D250967810814%26)

Though no key

CoffmanStarter
18th Nov 2012, 09:35
In the 70's I saw a Nav at RAF Finningly use one of these ... could have been his lunch though :E

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/photo.jpg

Cornish Jack
18th Nov 2012, 21:27
Mr B
You'd better have a sharp (but too late ) word with Silvermans, then. They were selling them for £30 a go in the '80s - when they were still official issue.
Nav pal went to Stores (irrationally renamed Supply!) to get a replacement for well used one. "Sorry Sir, can't issue - we only have one in stock" " But I only want one!" " Yes, Sir, but if we issue that one we won't have any!"
This was the same establishment which, when I did the OO's 10% stock check produced a bin card for a considerable quantity of ... madapolam - one of the vital necessities for a VC10 base!!!
Plus ca change!:ugh:

Wensleydale
19th Nov 2012, 06:48
Nav pal went to Stores (irrationally renamed Supply!) to get a replacement
for well used one. "Sorry Sir, can't issue - we only have one in stock" " But I
only want one!" " Yes, Sir, but if we issue that one we won't have any!"

Had the same problem with the student stores in Nav School at Finningly in the 1970s. An old civvie was responsible for issuing chinagraph pencil leads, rules etc. You could not get a pencil unless the old one was less that 1/2 inch (1.1 cm) etc etc. Our course needed an OHP for our GST presentation - invites were given to OC schools, Stn Cdr etc but the old civvie refused to let us have the OHP because someone might need it. Even pleas from our course commander failed, so we wrote a formal letter to Stn Cdr explaining why we were unable to complete our GST training syllabus. We got the OHP amid much grumbling.

Shortly afterwards, the old chap was taken ill and retired. His replacement opened his cabinets to find an Aladin's Cave of stationery that was beautifully catalogued and packed away, not having been touched for years.

Old-Duffer
19th Nov 2012, 09:13
Wensleydale,

Your earlier post was probably too subtle for many ppruners!!

Old Duffer

Chugalug2
19th Nov 2012, 10:09
Too subtle for me OD, that's for sure. Just as well though that Wensleydale didn't sell his Nav Bag to the similarly named Claus von Stauffenberg, who had a bit of a reputation for destroying not only bags but those nearby.

Wensleydale
19th Nov 2012, 11:41
Chugs,

Indeed, referrence was to that chap. Also with hints that selling military bags to unknown persons reduces the chances of detection of IEDs that are left lying around briefing rooms and crewrooms. Just a thought.....

E L Whisty
19th Nov 2012, 11:58
Jack...

'Nav pal went to Stores (irrationally renamed Supply!)'

Perhaps it was in order to re-educate the old chaps in brown coats that they were there to supply stuff, not just to store it?

Sometimes, just sometimes, change is necessary.

Tinribs
24th Nov 2012, 11:03
My "for gawds sake get a grip" moment was at Finningley in about 1986

I had been flying AEF chipmunks there for years before and after service

I asked for a new lead for my chinagraph pencil and the Boss a very nice fellow called Ron P solemnly broke a china lead in two and gave me a half. I said this was wastefull as the last quarter inch is unusuable and always lost in the pencil fitting, shorted leads doubled the wastage

He replied yes but the supply squadron boss says it reduces the amount of unused lead sitting idly in flying suit pockets so it is a good idea

5aday
24th Nov 2012, 11:57
Try fleebay. One for £1.04 at the moment. It may go much higher though. Maybe as much as £2.20...............