PDA

View Full Version : F.A.A. Licence conversion

a4fly
16th Nov 2012, 10:24
Sorry in advance as I'm sure this has been done before. Any ideas on current requirements to gain a F.A.A. Commercial Licence, whilst holding a current J.A.A. A.T.P.L.(with current Falcon 900 and Hawker L.P.C.s)?

Not sure I'd need an A.T.P.L. as I'm expecting to do Right Hand seat work only.

Cheers

S-Works
16th Nov 2012, 10:37
pedant mode on/

You wouldn't get an ATPL with the FAA as no such thing exists.... You would get an ATP certificate though...

pedant mode off/

You should just do an ATP certificate, single exam and check ride which can be done on one of your types. If you hold a JAA ATPL then it will be a doddle for you.

cloudrunner
17th Nov 2012, 19:28
Hi,

Purchase and study ASA: Test Prep 2013 Series - Airline Transport Pilot (http://www.asa2fly.com/Test-Prep-2013-Series---Airline-Transport-Pilot-P1720_product1.aspx) and a copy of (for cross reference with the above): ASA FAR/AIM 2012 (http://www.transair.co.uk/sp+ASA-FAR-AIM-2012+2027) (Bose-x is right. A months study and you should pass the written with ease).

You are able to sit your ATP written test in Europe (Flightsafety Le Bourget for instance) : www.fliegen-usa.de/HOW_TO_APPLY.pdf

I know flight safety are also happy to combine an FAA ATP check ride and oral with an additional type course.

You’ll need an FAA medical.

Check with the FAA and your training provider with regard to pre administrational, TSA and licence validation requirements well in advance.

Good Luck.

a4fly
19th Nov 2012, 08:47
Thanks for the replies, looks like it should be fairly straight forward!

Welle
19th Nov 2012, 11:24
i suppose you have a JAA ATP licence, (and not yet a FAA ticket (PPL etc..)

1) contact the applicable FSDO for the TRTO where you want to do the checkride - they can approve you to do the FAA checkride and oral on basis of your JAA ATP (special forms to be submitted)

2) get those forms and have your licence details confirmed by your local CAA

3) send these forms to the applicable FSDO at least 2 month prior to the intended training

4) Get a TSA clearence for the training event

5) FAA atp theory exam (e.g. at flight safety paris)

6) FAA oral exam and checkride,
attention - the FAA checkride can no longer be combined with a JAA(EASA) checkride (requirement from FAA)

7) get a US radio licence online (procedure was discussed here a few weeks ago)

good luck
welle

B200Drvr
20th Nov 2012, 00:38
I agree with Welle, this is not just a case of pitch up with your license and do the check-ride, the verification process can take a long time, we all know what the various Civil Aviation Authorities around the world are like when you need something quickly. Plan ahead!!