PDA

View Full Version : FAA Commercial helicopter add on

Clintonb
15th Nov 2012, 20:22
Just want to get some information on what books i need to get for the helicopter add on i got the PHAK, FAR/AIM 2013, weather and instrument books but wondering if i need to get the collective/cyclic book, principle of helicopter fight (which i been reading though on the FAA website as a PDF) etc so if anyone can tell me the books that i really do need to purchase and have in my possession so that i can start doing some homework ahead of time before starting the course.

Also to the people that hold fixed and helicopter ratings do you just log your hours in one book or would it be best and easier to get another log book and keep one for fixed wing and one for helicopter??? any ideas would be much appreciated.

thanks for the help
Safe flying

Rotorhead1026
15th Nov 2012, 21:19
Use the same book; I'll also throw in a plug for the electronic logbook of your choice. Keep using the paper log, but the e-log is convenient for totaling.

It seems like you have ample study material. You'll need the PTS in some form as well; it's online. The ASA oral guides are a good source of gee-whiz stuff too. It seems they want you to buy both the f/w and r/w versions, but I'd start with just the r/w. Most pilot shops have them - don't pay retail price.

ASA: Oral Exam Guide (http://www.asa2fly.com/Oral-Exam-Guide-C25_category.aspx)

And, Mr. President, if you're thinking of aviation as a career, improve your spelling, punctuation, and sentence structure. You'll stand out from the crowd and communicate better to boot. :)

Clintonb
15th Nov 2012, 21:44
Thanks rotorhead for the info got the PTS and Oral guide books also Anything else you reckon i need?
Thanks for the concern :O about my punctuation sentence structure and spelling whats wrong with spelling :sad: pretty impressed for spelling writing this out in mach 1 and in just few minutes.. if i had more time i would put in punctuation and everything else
Anyways have a great weekend