PDA

View Full Version : p51 over hanningfield Resevoir

max alt
15th Nov 2012, 14:39
As only a select bunch get to fly these aircraft,can you pass on my regards to the pilot of the p51 doing aerobatics over hanningfield resevoir on wed afternoon on a gloriously blue sky canvas.Just made my day.
Poss on the way back to duxford!!.
:D
Max

Tay Cough
15th Nov 2012, 14:58
... or possibly Jumpin' Jacques from North Weald.

High_Expect
15th Nov 2012, 16:28
Maybe he could pass on the suitable location to the Stapleford based Firefly that does aeros over the built up area of Hook End at about 1500' :( how some of these idiots get CPLs is beyond me!

Herod
15th Nov 2012, 16:43
I could be wrong, but I believe you can fly a Firefly on a PPL.:ugh:

newt
15th Nov 2012, 17:34
Glad to see the air saftey police are alive and well!!!!!!!:mad:

High_Expect
15th Nov 2012, 19:52
The same AC comes to the same spot 3-4 times a day. They offer trial aerobatic flights from Stapleford so I was applying some simple logic. :p

High_Expect
15th Nov 2012, 19:59
Not fun police and I happen to live 250+ miles away. My parents live in the village and are hardly anti aviation (dad held a PPL for 20+ years) just somewhat concerned that an instructor thought doing aeros at reasonably low altitude over what is a reasonably sized built up area is a good idea.

He emailed Stapleford to ask them to move over open ground 1 mile east to be told that "the transponder was checked and that all flights were conducted at a safe altitude". Interesting as I'm not aware of a transponder that records all previous flights ;-)

AdLib
15th Nov 2012, 21:09
Transponder shmansponder. It's illegal to do aeros over a 'congested area' at any height.

The Rules of the Air Regulations 2007, Shedule 1, Section 4, para 15:

Aerobatic manoeuvres
15. An aircraft shall not carry out any aerobatic manoeuvre—
(a)over the congested area of any city, town or settlement; or
(b)within controlled airspace except with the consent of the appropriate air traffic control unit.

Course it all depends on how congested Hook End is, no-one's suggesting every house has to be avoided. But the person who told your Dad 'the transponder was checked' deserves a slap. I'd give the airfield manager a ring and explain the situation.

Karl Bamforth
16th Nov 2012, 05:36
Looking at Hook End on google maps it doesn't really look that built up or congested.

Its certainly surrounded by fields.

Most GPS these days will record altitude and location with good accuracy for a number of flight hours.

High_Expect
16th Nov 2012, 06:18
Well it certainly would class as a settlement. I'm guessing the aileron roll as he departs westbound towards Doddinghurst is over a friend or member of family (its always in exactly the same spot and separate from his 'routine')

I'm aware of the logging capabilities of various GA GPS. It was more the point that the receptionist was trying to fob off a genuine, polite and fair request to move a mile east (my dad even said he'll still enjoy watching but would rather he wasn't directly under the display axis in case anything went wrong) by spouting c**p. It just made them seem arrogant. And I'm sure that's not the image Stapleford would want to portray. It certainly wasn't went my dad learnt to fly there in the 70s ;)

Back to the original thread if the P51 would like to move 10miles west I'm sure my dad would love to see it. Just keep it over the fields - at least that way you'll be deconflicted from the Firefly :p