PDA

View Full Version : Christmas present for Flight instructor?

localflighteast
15th Nov 2012, 14:27
I’m prepared for this to degenerate into silliness but heyhere goes!

What would be a suitable Christmas present for a flightinstructor? Just a token of “happy holidays” and an acknowledgement of myappreciation for what you’ve managed to teach me.
My Flight instructor is a nice guy and is responsible forgetting my other half through his flight test as well, so I thought it might benice to get him something.

I thought I’d ask on here to see what might be on your wish list.
Ideas?

Big Pistons Forever
15th Nov 2012, 14:36
IMO money is the sincerest form of flattery and flight instructors don't make much money......

localflighteast
15th Nov 2012, 15:06
My instructor only does part time on top of his regular job and earns considerably more than I do ;)

Thats why I think a gift would be a lot more appropriate than an envelope full of cash! ( I'd hate him to think I was tryong to bribe my way through this ;))

RTN11
15th Nov 2012, 18:37
A friend of mine was given a watch, which was pretty cool.

I've been given a few bottles of whisky or wine, and one bottle of rum. I think my students knew me well...:}

Even a box of chocolates is well received and shared around the instructor room. Depends what sort of relationship you have, I saw a few of my students outside of the flying school setting, and I am still in touch with them long after they completed their PPL and I moved on from that school. There are others I wouldn't want to see socially at all.

mhoeltken
16th Nov 2012, 10:51
An instructor at our club got a voucher for a dinner with her husband in a good restaurant nearby from her student after his successful exam. A bottle of whine would do, too, I suppose.

But above all, the best gift to a dedicated instructor is to become a safe pilot.

best regards,

jez d
16th Nov 2012, 11:29
the best gift to a dedicated instructor is to become a safe pilot lovely sentiment... but on balance I think I'd prefer cash :E

All instructors, by God-given right, should have these: 5-bar Novelty Epaulette : AFE - Airplan Flight Equipment (http://www.afeonline.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=2006)

dobbin1
16th Nov 2012, 17:35
A simple "thank you" note goes a long way. Chuck in a few compliments about the excellence of their instruction and send a copy to their boss:)

what next
16th Nov 2012, 18:48
Hello!

A simple "thank you" note goes a long way.

Definitely! And maybe an email or a phone call every other year to let your instructor(s) know what you are doing flying-wise. Nothing beats an "I was just promoted to captain of an A340"-message to your ex-instrutor!

I know an instructor who was given a very expensive watch by one of his students. He is so embarrased that he never wears it, which makes this the most useless present ever given.

VFE
17th Nov 2012, 11:30
Booze.

VFE.

timprice
18th Nov 2012, 10:28
Gold plated pension would be nice!:)

Lookleft
19th Nov 2012, 23:14
"Top Gun" on blue ray.:ok:

mct777
20th Nov 2012, 17:23
Food and shelter for the night :)

localflighteast
20th Nov 2012, 18:36
Still working on a gift guys :\ and as I've previously pointed out the guy has a "proper" job as well , earns three times what I do and is hardly impoverished :p

Never felt right buying a pilot alcohol either , here have a bottle of stuff that you can't drink within 8 hours of working!

B2N2
20th Nov 2012, 19:10
Showing up prepared and paying attention for ONE lesson.......:}

Just kidding......:E
Bottle of wine/whiskey/bourbon
Gift certificate for restaurant....

JUST-local
20th Nov 2012, 19:31
Some new students :O

madlandrover
20th Nov 2012, 21:52
A good bottle of wine that shows thought is always welcome. Don't worry about giving a pilot something they can't drink within 8 hours of working, we don't work every day!

sevenstrokeroll
22nd Nov 2012, 11:08
so, you are flying in canada...how about a video of ''captains of the clouds"?

there are also little ''suction soap holders'' that are nice for covering flight instruments for partial panel work...very cheap but hard to find.

a new sectional chart (they are getting expensive).

a subscription to a flying magazine (not necessarily FLYING magazine...I like Aviation Week...but it is expensive0

a nice, high quality flashlight (though you might call them electric torches)

an autographed picture of circa 1967 Barbara Feldon as agent 99

an autographed picture of circa 1962 Mary Tyler Moore as Laura Petrie

croakies

ear plugs

a baseball cap that says : world's greatest flight instructor/canadian (after all, I'm the greatest in the USA)

five pounds of yogurt in a four pound bag

cafe aulait without milk

portable sun shields

the movie about the building of the AVRO ARROW starring the guy who was a blues brother...what's his name?

MetGirl
22nd Nov 2012, 20:36
I think your instructor will appreciate anything you get them. Its nice that you're even thinking of it. Someone else suggested dinner (great idea) or even something like movie tickets. If they have a partner, then he/she will also appreciate it as instructors often give up time with their families, especially if your instructor has another job.
Or a box of beer or bottle of wine is always good, don't worry, it won't go to waste :)

HowlingMad Murdock
22nd Nov 2012, 22:10
Some interesting ideas here! I may get my instructors some yummy..........oooh best not say in case they stumble across this thread! :)