PDA

View Full Version : Question about image in the X-Files title sequence

ATC_curious
15th Nov 2012, 13:09
My husband and I have been re-watching the X-Files, and I have become increasingly curious about an image in the title sequence. I think it may be an ATC radar display of some sort, and was wondering if there was an expert here who could confirm, and perhaps supply a little more detail for me on the subject? Here's the image:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/cyberchaos/ScreenShot2012-11-14at75624PM.png

Thanks in advance!

chevvron
15th Nov 2012, 18:33
Yes it is.

P6 Driver
17th Nov 2012, 08:59
I would agree that it's designed to represent a radar display but hope that it's not a real one!

I'd hate to have controlled any aircraft in airspace with that amount of restrictions and boundaries...
;)

ATC_curious
17th Nov 2012, 14:49
Thanks for the confirmation chevvron, and for your remarks about restrictions and boundaries P6 Driver!

I have no idea how to read this image, but the display looked far more densely populated than other images of radar display screens I found using Google image search. The symbols looked consistent, but other images weren't as dense with information as this X-Files one...

chevvron
17th Nov 2012, 18:12
P6 Driver; I think you'll find that display pretty normal in some places in the USA. They sometimes have very small sectors which necessitates the many apparent boundaries.

P6 Driver
18th Nov 2012, 10:26
That confirms what a good thing it was that I never had the chance to work over there!!!
:)

EEngr
27th Nov 2012, 03:06
Yeah. It can get pretty busy, particularly when there are UFOs operating in your CTA. Those flying saucer jockeys aren't known for following ATC clearances very carefully.

;)

Stu666
29th Nov 2012, 21:32
I have difficulty believing that this is an ATC display.

Could it be some sort of star chart?