PDA

View Full Version : 38 Squadron and 2 FTS, 1997

ranmar850
15th Nov 2012, 10:38
RAAF 38 Squadron and 2 FTS, 1997 - YouTube

Is there anyone on here who served with 38 Squadron, AKA Black Duck Airlines, or 2 FTS in the late nineties? Back then, in a previous life as a crayfisherman, I volunteered use of my boat as part of an exercise for RAAF Pilot training, involving tipping the trainees over the side well offshore, then standing by as the 38 Squadron Caribou found them, deployed the dummy liferafts, and called in the Bristows' S-76 to pick them up. Of course, this involved a bit of hanging around in the interim, so, a spot of fishing might be in order.:)
I have recently been going through the old VHS tapes and digitising. The camera work is decidedly amateur, taken from the deck of a gently rolling boat, but I've put it together as a tribute to everyone involved, and of course, the mighty Caribou. Enjoy.

PLovett
15th Nov 2012, 21:18
Loved the idea of continuing fishing while there were a couple of men in the water. One would hope that there were no big things with rows of pointy teeth being attracted to the thrashing fish on the end of the line. :eek:

Trojan1981
15th Nov 2012, 21:57
Brings back memories of water jumps and the cold, dark ocean... :uhoh: