PDA

View Full Version : ATPL (H) Groundschool

Diglet
14th Nov 2012, 19:41
Am about to embark on a lengthy few months of ground study and attempt to complete my ATPL (H) groundschool exams at Bristol GS. Im a military Helo pilot of 10 years and approx 2000 hours and am looking to get these completed in the most time efficient, least painful way possible.

To that end can anybody advise me on how long they will realistically/should take me to finish them and do I need to go for the 2 week revision course beforehand? A few people have mentioned just buying a part of the course (DVD) and trying it that way, obviously relying quite heavily on the question bank.

Thanks in advance.

Diglet
16th Nov 2012, 19:00
G-RICH,

Thank you for the reply, I must admit I am quite surprised by that but I can see from your attached link that it does indeed say this. Ive looked again on the Bristol GS website and they are still providing the heli revision courses right up to Jan 14 and there is a specific section on the ATPL H too. I think the only way to find out is to call them and check and hope I dont get the unhelpful secretarial staff again.

Ill keep you informed on all goings on.

Cheers mate.

paco
17th Nov 2012, 03:04
"I am a fixed wing instructor but give extra tuition to a guy doing CPL(H) exams. Biggest problem is the lack of manuals. The common stuff like Nav, Met etc is not a problem but it is a real struggle with things like PoF (unless you find Wagtendonk is readable - no-one else does).

My impression now is that CPL(H) distance learners are really struggling !"

There has been an alternative to Wagtendonk and suitable material for the exams (in three countries) for well over 15 years.

Alex Whittingham
17th Nov 2012, 17:49
We are approved for the full ATPL(H)IR - have been for some time, but the CAA, bless them, don't update their own documents. The interim procedure stopped some time ago.

taybird
17th Nov 2012, 18:28
CATS also do ATPL(H) both in-house and distance learning. I did their ATPL(A) distance learning with no regrets regarding my decision.
PM me if you want to ask more.

paco
18th Nov 2012, 04:58
"as Interim dragged on for well over a decade no-one had any realy incentive to do anything about it ? "

We did something about it over 5 years ago, after which the interim system was officially stopped then brought back again (go figure). It finally stopped in April this year. So there has been a proper CPL(H) course, listed on SD30 for that time. The course we do for the new syllabus is stripped of all non-essentials, for the required 250 hours of study. We have a big ad on the right leading to our website for full details.

BTW - the Crouchendonk book is called Helicopter Principles of Flight:

"Have perused it in spare moments, and must say, I'm impressed! It sure beats the pants [out] of the Wagtendonk in meeting with the Canadian requirements, and being just a tad more understandable. Did I say a tad, well I think it is MORE than a tad more readable!"

CFI, Central Helicopter Training Academy, Ontario